• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

ctdubl07

That lift’ll give your legs bruises if you don’t pay attention.
Yeah and the off load for a boarder is no fun either

They had sculpted some bumps the weekend prior but clearly farmed them out this past week.
Even under Peaks music was inconsistent...I think there down to like 4 towers with speakers...what I wouldnt give for a little "Panama"

ThatGuy

Half those speakers are blown anyway.
I always have an airpod in so no tower music is no issue.

GregoryIsaacs

Bear trap is a sleeper spot for a powder day. I can recall doing ~15 consecutive laps on it once after a foot of fresh. It felt like a personal powder playground with the ability to ski right onto the lift for as long as your legs could handle it.

Also got caught on the lift during a blackout circa ~05... Love that spot!

drjeff

Yeah and the off load for a boarder is no fun either

They had sculpted some bumps the weekend prior but clearly farmed them out this past week.
Even under Peaks music was inconsistent...I think there down to like 4 towers with speakers...what I wouldnt give for a little "Panama"

Don't think they farmed out the bumps the freestyle comp team sculpted in the week prior, as they flattened them after they finally froze up solid after a week of warm and wet and multiple days (hopefully) ahead of below freezing temps. Atleast that's what one of the head bump coaches told me on Saturday. Lots of snow on Beartrap where the throw of the guns reached during the pre Christmas cold snap

urungus

Don't think they farmed out the bumps the freestyle comp team sculpted in the week prior, as they flattened them after they finally froze up solid after a week of warm and wet and multiple days (hopefully) ahead of below freezing temps. Atleast that's what one of the head bump coaches told me on Saturday. Lots of snow on Beartrap where the throw of the guns reached during the pre Christmas cold snap
@drjeff any idea why they seem to have stopped playing music on Beartrap ?

jaytrem

Those bumps lines were pretty nice, my kids and did our part to form them. Shame they didn't last, but hopefully be back soon. A touch more zippery would be nice.

SLyardsale

1/9/2023 rotd was beartrap

IMG_3149.jpg

I'm kidding of course. They are trying to expand terrain for MLK weekend. Not much else is the focus. Carinthia has had more attention than most other places up to now. Of all the pods, Carinthia has the most top (of Nitro Express) to bottom options in fools gold, nitro, mineshaft to prospector/inferno/longjohn. More or less sucks all over.

Newpylong

I can't remember any owner since ASC who covered that entire trail. They'd start on the far side and pull the equipment in. The only way to cover left of the lift now is to burn diesel and no one seems willing.

drjeff

I can't remember any owner since ASC who covered that entire trail. They'd start on the far side and pull the equipment in. The only way to cover left of the lift now is to burn diesel and no one seems willing.

If figured if they were ever going to do that again, and I wish they would, this might of been the year with the delayed (based on typical opening timeframe due to the construction finishing up on the Sunbrook Quad) it happened.

Mother nature also hasn't helped with the warm temps she threw at them mid December. So when they got the temps, the time constraint "luxury" of a couple of extra days bringing in portable ground air/water guns and hoses to get a line of guns set up roughly at the lift towers likely wasn't there. And now that it's open for the season, guessing all subsequent snowmaking runs on it will be from the fixed towers along skiers/riders right

SLyardsale

1/12/2023 nice morning followed by a quick frozen shit sandwich situation approx 12:30. coming up, a new long weekend opportunity for posting slope side assault videos..
rotd was beartrap but my iphone4 was ice covered by the time i got over there. plummet instead
IMG_3155.jpg

jaytrem

Mountain was kinda crazy today. Lots of lower skilled skiers out today. At one point we hung out at the top for about 10 minutes just to watch the Bluebird carnage. The patrolers and ambassadors were doing an admirable job helping the downed skiers and keeping the unload area clear. Nothing they can do to stop the crashes though, many were brutal.

Conditions were so-so at best, but we enjoyed enough to ski from open to close. We were considering heading to Brattleboro for ice skating. Guns are blazing all over the place, so tomorrow's surface conditions should start out much better. Lift lines were very short except for the bubble and Nitro (and maybe Canyon). Both new lifts were pretty much ski on every time we were there. One problem with Sundance is the frequent stops to download skiers. I assume they started at the top and gave up at Sundance. One ride up we passed five groups coming down. Don't blame them, Long John was crazy, Gulch being closed certainly didn't help.

SLyardsale

Mountain was kinda crazy today. Lots of lower skilled skiers out today. At one point we hung out at the top for about 10 minutes just to watch the Bluebird carnage. The patrolers and ambassadors were doing an admirable job helping the downed skiers and keeping the unload area clear. Nothing they can do to stop the crashes though, many were brutal.

Conditions were so-so at best, but we enjoyed enough to ski from open to close. We were considering heading to Brattleboro for ice skating. Guns are blazing all over the place, so tomorrow's surface conditions should start out much better. Lift lines were very short except for the bubble and Nitro (and maybe Canyon). Both new lifts were pretty much ski on every time we were there. One problem with Sundance is the frequent stops to download skiers. I assume they started at the top and gave up at Sundance. One ride up we passed five groups coming down. Don't blame them, Long John was crazy, Gulch being closed certainly didn't help.
I didn't ski today but walked thru all 3 bases around 10:45am. It's amazing how many just need to have that bubble. The bluebird line looked to be around 1/2 hour. At the same time, SunWeed was ski on. Nitro looked like 20 minutes. It was impressive to see all the snow being made from upper Handle Rd.

bubble at 10:55
IMG_3163.jpg
vs. sunweed at 10:50am
IMG_3160.jpg

drjeff

Fortunately the snowboarder who "decided" to get off the Grand Summit Express 1 tower too early from the top terminal faired OK. (My wife and the group she was with went right over him just after it happened 😳😳 )

Now the group of 20 somethings who decided to walk out on the ice mid afternoon, past the "danger unsafe ice" signs, on the snowmaking pond adjacent to the bottom of Mineshaft to take some selfies are just damn lucky that a water rescue wasn't needed for their stupid a$$es!

SLyardsale

MS Summit access on a holiday / weekend at 10:45am: Accurate or inaccurate? ??

lift rides assume brief stops for holiday new skiers - less assumed on sunbrook & NF lifts
  • Bluebird - 30 minute wait plus 13 minute ride = 43 minutes
  • GSE - 20 minute wait plus 14 min ride = 34 minutes
  • Canyon to either NF Lift - 20 minute wait at both lifts (15 Can / 5 NF) - 6 minute ride on Canyon / 10 min NF - 4 minute ski on River Run = 40
  • Sundance to Sunbrook - 5 minute wait at both lifts (maybe) 9 min ride on Sundance / 6 minute on Sunbrook - 5 minute ski on shooting star = 25
  • Ego Alley to NF - (icing day w/no detatch) 35 minute wait at both lifts 12 min ride ego / 10 min NF- hike /ski link to river run 15 min = 72
With the Sundance to Sunbrook you get to ski 700vf on shooting star
With Canyon to NF you get to ski 450vf on River run

it would appear the new Sundance to Sunbrook combo is the best route to the summit on a holiday/weekend ?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Late to all the Beartrap discussion..... but I distinctly remember a warm Christmas Eve 5ish years ago. My friend and I lapped frozen groomer crap til 1:30pm or so then "found" Beartrap which was full-blown spring bumps. A lot of spread eagle's were performed that day. Sooooo fun.

Hmmm... turns out it was just 2019-2020... stupid pandemic!

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_135035487.jpg
    IMG_20191224_135035487.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 14

jaytrem

MS Summit access on a holiday / weekend at 10:45am: Accurate or inaccurate? ??

lift rides assume brief stops for holiday new skiers - less assumed on sunbrook & NF lifts
  • Bluebird - 30 minute wait plus 13 minute ride = 43 minutes
  • GSE - 20 minute wait plus 14 min ride = 34 minutes
  • Canyon to either NF Lift - 20 minute wait at both lifts (15 Can / 5 NF) - 6 minute ride on Canyon / 10 min NF - 4 minute ski on River Run = 40
  • Sundance to Sunbrook - 5 minute wait at both lifts (maybe) 9 min ride on Sundance / 6 minute on Sunbrook - 5 minute ski on shooting star = 25
  • Ego Alley to NF - (icing day w/no detatch) 35 minute wait at both lifts 12 min ride ego / 10 min NF- hike /ski link to river run 15 min = 72
With the Sundance to Sunbrook you get to ski 700vf on shooting star
With Canyon to NF you get to ski 450vf on River run

it would appear the new Sundance to Sunbrook combo is the best route to the summit on a holiday/weekend ?
GSE estimate sounds high. Looked like 5 to 10 minute wait during peak time (depending on weather, little chilly today). Singles line was super short, like 5 people or less every time we rode it. Also attracts better skiers, so less stops.

Also, Sundance was by far our longest ride of the day with all the downloading. Not sure how common that will be.

jaytrem

Fortunately the snowboarder who "decided" to get off the Grand Summit Express 1 tower too early from the top terminal faired OK. (My wife and the group she was with went right over him just after it happened 😳😳 )

Now the group of 20 somethings who decided to walk out on the ice mid afternoon, past the "danger unsafe ice" signs, on the snowmaking pond adjacent to the bottom of Mineshaft to take some selfies are just damn lucky that a water rescue wasn't needed for their stupid a$$es!
Pond thing is crazy. Probably would have been recovery mission if they broke thru.