• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow 21-22 Season

Newpylong

"S Curves" is which trail?
Choke to Ledge below where Cascads dumps into Canyon. So if you were coming down Cascade from the summit you could keep going straight instead of having to go left. Effectively the old Standard trail until the renaming. Used to see a lot of snowmaking prior to Canyon being widened. Peaks would occasionally make snow on it in the recent past.

drjeff

cleared about 4" of DENSE snow off of my deck about an hour ago after arriving. Still lightly snowing on occasion.

Not enough to open all but the flatest of natural snow connector trails. But if the Sun/Mon and then Wed/Thurs predicted storms deliver. Game on!

And just as an FYI, per a conversation one of my ski friends had this afternoon (she's actually currently apres skiing with my wife and I at our condo) with an ambassador friend. Don't even think of poaching Shootout this entire season. There's apparently a bunch of stumps, construction debris, old lift tower bases and some re-bar on it that wasn't able to be cleared before the season began, and the mountain will regularly be staging ambassadors at the bottom of it on days they suspect folks might poach it (and there's a substantial solid net at the top closing it off, not just a rope) and if they catch you either your ticket is pulled for the day or if you have an Epic Pass its suspended for 28 days.

Too much debris on the trail to allow it to be safe this season

jaytrem

Yeah, that giant wire thing looks a bit unsafe. The question is how do they react when you pop out of the trees 98% of the way down.

drjeff

Yeah, that giant wire thing looks a bit unsafe. The question is how do they react when you pop out of the trees 98% of the way down.
Not sure risking a 28 day pass suspension is worth finding out.

Apparently there were almost 30 folks who got their passes suspended for poaching it last month on the Saturday 2+ ft powder day a week or so before Christmas

SLyardsale

Not sure risking a 28 day pass suspension is worth finding out.

Apparently there were almost 30 folks who got their passes suspended for poaching it last month on the Saturday 2+ ft powder day a week or so before Christmas
maybe they should focus more on de-icing lifts - that would be a good side hustle for the ambassadors.

ctdubl07

MS morning report = mayhem.
Stay away, looks like Sunday of MLK wknd..... almost busiest Ive seen it.

Some other Vail-up/ish observations:

Today they are giving out samples of cider type donut balls on "main street" . Apparently theyve resuscitated (again) that takeout window section between Cousins and 1900 Burger and will be selling them along with hot choc, coffee, etc.
DJ on deck of Sundance lodge
Brought portable camper/DJ booth down from Okemo last weekend and parked on main street plaza
Continued increase in netting, signage and directional roping across Mtn.
More new timber and post trail maps going up than even a few weeks ago.
Look for the "C" easter egg tucked on hillside directly across from Nitro terminus.

jaytrem

Nice that the tress are back in play, but that breakable crust is nasty in places. Could use some more traffic in a bunch of them.

Skied the trees off Nitro/Moonshine yesterday and was pleasantly surprised about the base. It did require you turn where others did, but the more it gets skied the better it will get. The base is solid, but there is a top layer that requires power to get through. Hit the trees skiers left off Overbrook and the trees were not good, only because of the crust. More skiing will improve normally fun tree areas.

SLyardsale

How are conditions on the groomers?
most everything is a groomer for now. the thursday event had some liquid at the end on the lower half - and frozen liquid on the top half - hence the crust in the trees. i agree with what they did - groom as much as possible to make it skiable. but the non snow making trails they groomed are better. the whole north face was real good with plummet the worst of the group - olympic was vg. Bear Trap was top notch.

SLyardsale

the natural trails got beat up with the traffic this weekend. most are most likely closed going forward until a few inches fall.

IMG_3174.jpg

jaytrem

Looks fine to me. Just needs a "thin cover" sign.

Tree skiing was much easier yesterday after a lot of traffic on Saturday helped break up the crust. Challenger was also very enjoyable. Excellent day!

Newpylong

Is that Olympic? If so man it's gotten a lot narrower than I remember it. It's been a ton of years since I've been there, 10 maybe?

icecoast1

Is that Olympic? If so man it's gotten a lot narrower than I remember it. It's been a ton of years since I've been there, 10 maybe?
Looks like one of the trails in sunbrook. Little dipper maybe? Thought it had snowmaking now though

Top of Olympic is pretty narrow, doesn't widen out til part way down.