• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Name Brand Gasoline

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The jokers near me are still at $4.89 for regular. I took this on my way to Jersey City this morning.
Picture001.jpg

Gotta be a money laundering operation

Last edited:
Most of the Sopranos filming happened with 15 miles of that station. Think about it, how does a station charging almost 5 bucks a gallon stay in business, when other stations in the area are charging 2,38?

You mean it's run by a bunch of actors????

drjeff

Most of the Sopranos filming happened with 15 miles of that station. Think about it, how does a station charging almost 5 bucks a gallon stay in business, when other stations in the area are charging 2,38?

ep81_08.jpg

According to gasbuddy the River road exxon in Summit is down to $3.89..cheapest gas in the state is in Vineland at $2.20 a gallon..outside of the Garden State..in GSS-ville..the cheapest gas is $2.49 with most stations around $2.60ish,..and it's snowing in the Poconos..

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
According to gasbuddy the River road exxon in Summit is down to $3.89..cheapest gas in the state is in Vineland at $2.20 a gallon..outside of the Garden State..in GSS-ville..the cheapest gas is $2.49 with most stations around $2.60ish,..and it's snowing in the Poconos..
And the Exxon right up the street is $2.69, go figure

drjeff

Filled up the just about empty trailblazer for under $40 yesterday. Been a while since I remember a sub $40 tank of gas (heck, mid-summer it was getting close to $30 just to fill up the gas can I use for the lawn mower :eek:)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Back on subject. Had a problem with my 4Runner, exhaust sensors got clogged and needed to be replaced. My mechanic, Mike, said it was the cheap gas I was using. I stated that I was under the impression that all gas is the same, I mean there are only a handful of refineries out there. He agreed, but stated that the higher priced name brands put additives into their gas that cause them to burn more cleanly. Not sure when and where those additive are added, but OK I'll bite.

Next question, what is considered name brand or better brand these days. It's quite obvious that Delta, Raceway, Joe Better Gas (made that one up) are going to be cheaper. Exxon, Lukoil, Getty, Hess fall in the better brands. But where does Gulf fit into this? It has always been a well known name brand, but lately has been coming in as a cheaper gas. When I asked Mike the mechanic about it, he wasn't sure.

Of I had a Ferrari I'd only buy name brand gas..but for my entry level Ski-Baru..I can get by on Hess and Wawa gas..I'd be suspect of Joe Better Gas unless Joe Mamma was running the station..

Glenn

Back on subject. Had a problem with my 4Runner, exhaust sensors got clogged and needed to be replaced. My mechanic, Mike, said it was the cheap gas I was using. I stated that I was under the impression that all gas is the same, I mean there are only a handful of refineries out there. He agreed, but stated that the higher priced name brands put additives into their gas that cause them to burn more cleanly. Not sure when and where those additive are added, but OK I'll bite.

Next question, what is considered name brand or better brand these days. It's quite obvious that Delta, Raceway, Joe Better Gas (made that one up) are going to be cheaper. Exxon, Lukoil, Getty, Hess fall in the better brands. But where does Gulf fit into this? It has always been a well known name brand, but lately has been coming in as a cheaper gas. When I asked Mike the mechanic about it, he wasn't sure.

A lot of the no namers will buy "spot market" gas. Basically, what they can get for cheap. So it may be a little of this, mixed with a little of that.

I always use a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in our vehicles every few months. Another thing: Romp on the gas every once and awhile. I find this is more of an issue with the Jeep; since it's pretty torquey, it doesn't need much to get up and go from a stop. So when I get on the highway, I try to lay into it and blow out the cobwebs.

WJenness

The good stuff:
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Wally's

As far as gas stations go, there used to be a number of name brands and a lot of folks had their favorite that they would swear by. Me, I always thought it was all the same. Now, it does all seem to be the same. The name brands, Sunoco, Shell, Exxon, Gulf, Getty are disappearing and others "off brands" are quickly replacing them all. Me, I still just go for the least expensive, how about you?

I've always bought mine from the man who wears the star at Wally's Filling Station.
3returntogomer1.jpg