• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

Mildcat

Welcome. I see you bought or are buying the maine Pass. Good start.

Yeah, seems like a good deal for two resorts that I really like. Kind of far from my home but I'll find a way to get my days up there.

Thanks to everyone for the greetings.

jimskime

Greetings:
I ski Sugarloaf around 40 days a year and go out west at least once a year, perhaps twice. Been skiing for over 40 years. I volunteer at the competitions at Sugarloaf, sometimes as many as 12 or 14 days. I can ride, but prefer skiing. Ski on Stockli's Laser SC for locals race and Stockli Rotors for fun days. Have skied in Norway as well.

Vortex

Thanks, Steeze, those Stocklis are something alright!

I said it elsewhere, but Jim gets alot of repsect on the loaf board. Welcome. good poster. Like his finacial insight in relation to the sport. You should post a question in the challenge and get some loaf questions out there.

Cirquerider

Hi all! Thought I'd go ahead and drop a post in here. Most of you already know me from EpicSki. I mainly ski in the Sierra Nevada around Tahoe and have my season pass at Kirkwood. If you're ever out my way, give a shout out, and we'll try to get free to show you around. I keep in practice for your preferred icy conditions by skiing at 7-Springs when we visit for the holidays. All I can say is, nice snow machines, and I can see why they put the bar on the slope! :flame:

Anyway, I registered here about a year ago, and I guess its about time I posted. :beer:

skiNEwhere

Hi all! Thought I'd go ahead and drop a post in here. Most of you already know me from EpicSki. I mainly ski in the Sierra Nevada around Tahoe and have my season pass at Kirkwood. If you're ever out my way, give a shout out, and we'll try to get free to show you around. I keep in practice for your preferred icy conditions by skiing at 7-Springs when we visit for the holidays. All I can say is, nice snow machines, and I can see why they put the bar on the slope! :flame:

Anyway, I registered here about a year ago, and I guess its about time I posted. :beer:

Welcome!

Thats cool. I'm normally in Oceanside, but right now im in 29 Palms, CA. The closest place to me is Big Bear, which I'll normally hit up every weekend when the conditions are good.

I've hit up mammoth a couple times as well. I want to hit Tahoe, BAD. Once I get 3-4 days off of work I'll make the 8 hour drive up there. Who's normally the first to open?

Welcome...I've skied with Bruce from Epicski several times and also with Philpug once at Blue when he lost a bet about Pre skis..lol

Cirquerider

Tahoe openings vary a bit. Boreal will be the first to open on gunned snow, usually in later October, but if we get an early snowfall like we did in 2004, Kirkwood will be first since it is the highest of the ski areas. Mammoth to the south is also a good early season bet. Later in the season is the best bet, with snowpacks normally maxing out in March.

Bomb holes in a heavy wind slab...something you don't see much in the East. ;)

bombersnowIMG_0004.jpg

Nor'easter

Greetings everyone. Hope I am posting this correctly, I'm not as good with the computer as I am on skis. I meet at least half of the requirements to be called a ski bum and I have trouble interacting with ski-challenged individuals. I've been reading the forums at AZ for awhile now and I just feel like I can relate to the people here better than people at say...my job? Seriously though, AZ is the best ski forum I know of in the East and I figured if I was here all the time, I might as well join. Maybe I can help HighPeaksDrifter spread the word about NY skiing (although he is in a MUCH better geographic location than me). I think AZ is great and I'm happy to call myself a part of it.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome Nor'easter, thanks for the intro! I'm assuming from your intro that you spend a lot of time skiing in NY, any area in particular?

Greg

Staff member
Greetings everyone. Hope I am posting this correctly, I'm not as good with the computer as I am on skis. I meet at least half of the requirements to be called a ski bum and I have trouble interacting with ski-challenged individuals. I've been reading the forums at AZ for awhile now and I just feel like I can relate to the people here better than people at say...my job? Seriously though, AZ is the best ski forum I know of in the East and I figured if I was here all the time, I might as well join. Maybe I can help HighPeaksDrifter spread the word about NY skiing (although he is in a MUCH better geographic location than me). I think AZ is great and I'm happy to call myself a part of it.

Nice intro. Welcome!

Nor'easter

Can't believe somebody already saw my introduction on the LAST PAGE! You guys are good! Thanks for the kind welcome. As too Brian's question, I am relegated to practice runs at Bristol Mountain (the closest ski resort to me), or more preferably Holiday Valley. Gore/Whiteface are obvious yearly trips, but most of the big resorts in Vermont aren't much farther, so I go there every year at least once also.

PA Ridge Racer

Can't believe somebody already saw my introduction on the LAST PAGE! You guys are good! Thanks for the kind welcome. As too Brian's question, I am relegated to practice runs at Bristol Mountain (the closest ski resort to me), or more preferably Holiday Valley. Gore/Whiteface are obvious yearly trips, but most of the big resorts in Vermont aren't much farther, so I go there every year at least once also.

Welcome...Agreed AZ is awesome. I'm definitely adding NY to my skiing resume this winter. Whiteface is calling and I'm finally going to answer the call and I may meet up with a buddy of mine at Greek Peak sometime during the season. I hear good things about Bristol too.

Nor'easter

As far as western NY is concerned, Holiday Valley is probably the best bang for your buck. Bristol feels like it skis bigger than Holiday, but Holiday has almost twice as many trails and they have "The Wall" probably the steepest slope I've seen in western NY. As for the price...these aren't exact but in 2006 it was something like - Bristol $48 for 8 hrs, Holiday Valley $51 for 14 hrs. Not even close. Besides I think Holiday might have more trails open at night than Bristol does total. I haven't participated in much apres ski at Holiday Valley, but the only thing at Bristol is a restaurant near the hill with some great food.

gymnast46

Website
www.suburbansport.com
New Here

Hi folks,

Just heard about your fine site and was pleasantly surprised to see how much traffic it gets. My normal regular visits are to the NASTAR Forum and BomberOnLine.

I resumed skiing in 1997 following a 34 year absence from the sport and began snowboarding the same year. Today I split my time 50/50 between the two and focus on racing. I was the NASTAR coordinator at Okemo last season until a couple of broken ribs and pneumonia ended my season early.

Can't wait for the new season to start!

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome gmynast46! We don't have too many here that are into both boarding and skiing, it'll be good to have your unique input on certain topics...

I hope the ribs are all healed up.