• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

mondeo

Hi All,
Just signed up and thought I'd say "Hi" from the Catskills of NY. I have been skiing for a bit over 20 years, mostly in the northeast with an occasional trip out west. I grew up skiing at Gore (still my favorite thanks to some great backcountry skiing) and working at a ski shop; then moved on to Whiteface while in college (at Clarkson University). Now I spend most of my time at Belleayre in the Catskills where I am a volunteer ski patroller (since 2003).

In the summer I spend much of my time hiking and geocaching with my wife and 2 1/2 year old son. I also have a MS degree from RPI and work at IBM (if it weren't for this job, I'd be someplace with bigger mountains :wink:).

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute and learn a thing or two here.

Happy trails.
Let's Go Tech! ('06)

Greg

Staff member
Hi All,
Just signed up and thought I'd say "Hi" from the Catskills of NY. I have been skiing for a bit over 20 years, mostly in the northeast with an occasional trip out west. I grew up skiing at Gore (still my favorite thanks to some great backcountry skiing) and working at a ski shop; then moved on to Whiteface while in college (at Clarkson University). Now I spend most of my time at Belleayre in the Catskills where I am a volunteer ski patroller (since 2003).

In the summer I spend much of my time hiking and geocaching with my wife and 2 1/2 year old son. I also have a MS degree from RPI and work at IBM (if it weren't for this job, I'd be someplace with bigger mountains :wink:).

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute and learn a thing or two here.

Happy trails.

Welcome!

GrayJay 56

Hi, My trail name is GrayJay 56. I love to hike. Long distance or day hikes, don't matter to me. Trails are a great relief sometimes but I love to bushwack using altimeter, map and compass. My Corolla has been a good 4x4 in Maine to get at some of the 100 highest bushwacks. I usually find my own way and try not to follow everybodys directions. See ya on the trails or off of them.

bvibert

Staff member
Hi, My trail name is GrayJay 56. I love to hike. Long distance or day hikes, don't matter to me. Trails are a great relief sometimes but I love to bushwack using altimeter, map and compass. My Corolla has been a good 4x4 in Maine to get at some of the 100 highest bushwacks. I usually find my own way and try not to follow everybodys directions. See ya on the trails or off of them.

Welcome GrayJay!

tarponhead

Better late then never I guess...

I'm 46 yo and lived in joisey my whole life. My skiing began with Friday night middle school trips out to Vernon Valley (now Mountain Creek). Neither of my parents skiied and my hometown was a bit to blue-coller to have many friends who skiied.

Essentially did 2-3 days a year and thats it. Same for college (Rutgers) Just went to party more so then ski. Stopped skiing soon after.

20 years later we took a trip up to Whiteface with our boys (12 and 13 yo) on a whim. Wife does not really ski; she shops. Wfe LOVES Lake Placid. The boys and I fell in love with Whiteface and skiing. We plan on going again this Christmas break and hopefully ski more terain.

After that Christmas trip (2008 ) we started skiing every weekend at the local places. In March we purchased our season pass for Blue. Finished the season in April at Stowe watching boy number two simply blossom into a wonderfukl skiier. Love the sport, but love spending all weekend with my two boys outside even better.

Skiing simply rocks.

ComeBackMudPuddles

why do the number of replies in this thread sometimes go down? a little while ago the thread had over 1,000 replies, and now it's down to 989. when someone is inactive long enough, do their posts just disappear?

bvibert

Staff member
why do the number of replies in this thread sometimes go down? a little while ago the thread had over 1,000 replies, and now it's down to 989. when someone is inactive long enough, do their posts just disappear?

I noticed the reply count going down, not sure why that would happen. User accounts are not deactivated automatically if they aren't used, and no posts are automatically pruned. The only way a post gets deleted is if a mod deletes it manually, or if the user deleted it on their own.

Sometimes people go back and delete their old posts for whatever reason. To my knowledge no posts have been deleted from this thread by a moderator recently.

Wally Hertler

New Member; Wally Hertler

Hi:

I joined primarily so I could keep updated on the developments regarding the Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Trail. I live in Kennett Square, PA (the Mushroom Capital of the World), and each year, usually in June, I lead an unsupported bicycle tour of 10 days or so, staying in motels and inns. We usually have 20-25 participants. In 2010 we plan to start in Wilmington, DE by taking the Amtrak Vermonter to St Albans, VT on Saturday, June 12, and send our bikes to St Albans in a one-way Budget rental truck. Then on Day 1 of the tour, we will ride to Wilmington, NY, on Day 2 to Blue Mountain Lake, on Day 3 to Amsterdam, and on Day 4 to Pittsfield, MA (where we will stay for two nights in order to climb Mt Greylock and ride through the Berkshires). For much of the route from Amsterdam to Pittsfield we would like to use the Mohawk-Hudson Trail.

I am not sure how many of the on-road sections will be replaced by trail next year. And I have had a hard time getting an accurate, useable map of the trail onto my PC. If any of you have ridden the M-H Trail with a GPS and saved a track, I would appreciate it very much if you could send me the track (wallyhert@verizon.net). Also, I understand that a short section of the trail is gravel. Is the gravel section rideable on road bikes?

On a similar tour some 20 years ago I used the trail, but as I recall it was much less extensive then, and we had to use quite a few roads.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions you may have.

Regards,
Wally Hertler

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome Wally. That sounds like quite the adventure you embark on every year.

Hopefully someone here can help you with information. You might try posting the same question in the Cycling forum. I'm not sure that everyone will see it in here.

selluacell

NEW! Liberty University snowflex website update

Hey guys,

Just letting you know I created a new site for the Lynchburg VA Snowflex at Liberty University.

Check it out!

Great promo video about year round skiing, snowboarding and tubing

www.snowflex.weebly.com

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hey guys,

Just letting you know I created a new site for the Lynchburg VA Snowflex at Liberty University.

Check it out!

Great promo video about year round skiing, snowboarding and tubing

www.snowflex.weebly.com

Looks pretty cool. At 500' in length it looks like a earn-your-turns kind of operation. Oh, I spy a handle-tow! Pretty ambitious. I wonder how long the surface will last, with steel edges hitting it? Limited public availability I read. Isn't this evangelist Jerry Fallwell's operation?

yesmandroc

Hey guys. I started mountain biking in April this year and I've been really into it. I met Mlegg and he suggested I check this site out.

I do pretty much nothing outdoors in the winter because I really dislike the snow and the cold. I'll probably ride as late in the year as I can and then disappear until the spring. If I could hibernate I probably would. Luckily I love New England in the Spring, Summer, and Fall so much I'd probably never leave.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Hey guys. I started mountain biking in April this year and I've been really into it. I met Mlegg and he suggested I check this site out.

I do pretty much nothing outdoors in the winter because I really dislike the snow and the cold. I'll probably ride as late in the year as I can and then disappear until the spring. If I could hibernate I probably would. Luckily I love New England in the Spring, Summer, and Fall so much I'd probably never leave.
Welcome to AlpineZone yesman...

bvibert

Staff member

Sorry I didn't catch this sooner. Welcome to the forums! Join us for a ride sometime!

witch hobble

New memeber here.

Name: Nick

Frizzy-haired, balding, thirtysomething freeheeler. Third generation skier. Mild-mannered father of two. Some experience as an internet smart-ass.

Have lurked and cruised thru here over the last year. Don't know what made me decide to finally sign up.

Can likely be found at Tenney, Cannon, or off in the woods somewhere.

Other outdoor pursuits: hiking, whitewater paddling, sight-seeing.