• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Orville Slutzky hasn't skied Hunter Mountain in 20 years, but he still runs it

Greg

Staff member
That's your interpretation on things. Why do you feel the need to judge this man's lifestyle or convince others that your perspective is correct? The man is still working for reasons other than supporting a family etc etc.

Give trailertrash a break. I think he just needs a vacation...

trailertrash

That's your interpretation on things. Why do you feel the need to judge this man's lifestyle or convince others that your perspective is correct? The man is still working for reasons other than supporting a family etc etc.

if the guy who sat next to you at work didnt take a vacation in 20 yrs wouldnt you think it a bit odd? no matter what you do for a living everybody needs a break from it.

Grassi21

if the guy who sat next to you at work didnt take a vacation in 20 yrs wouldnt you think it a bit odd? no matter what you do for a living everybody needs a break from it.

i try not to judge others so i wouldn't think much of it.

this discussion is moot because the only guy who can answer this question is too busy working. if i am still working at that age it will be because of the passion i have for my work and not the need to survive.

MarkC

He has been on vacation for 20 years. I dont know about the rest of you but I would rather run a very successful hill than sit on a beach and be bored out of my mind.

dmc

Fact is Orville is surounded by friends and family - what more can you ask for in the twilight of life? He also lives in a modest house and picks up cafeteria trays..

kingslug

No one here can judge a man like this. Just be thankful that there are people like him. Hunter wouldn't be what it is without that family. It's the largest employer in the area...for a reason.

trackbiker

Most of us have jobs that we work around to support our Lifestyle.
Seems to me Orville just has a Lifestyle.

inhalexhale

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.huntermtn.com
We're actually having our employee party on his birthday...apparently the birthday is actually celebrated in March for one reason or another.

And it is SO not sad...if you knew Orville, this is his life, his dream, he came from nothing. This is his legacy. It has to be fun to be the king of a ski resort!

Oh I wouldn't say Orville never had a vacation. His vacations were just a little different than everyone else. I remember one vacation Orville took. Building the summit lodge at Hunter Mtn was a pet project of Orville's one summer. Oriville was a kid having a whole lot of fun building the summit lodge that summer. Concrete pour days were the most exciting. My job assignment on pour days was to work right next to Orville. You had to be on your toes. When you weren't looking Orville would run right over you on the scaffolding 2-3 stories up. Orville had a lot of fun that summer. :wink:

BTW Here is the machine that hauled the rock up to the top of the mountain that was used to build the three rock fireplaces in the Hunter Mtn summit lodge. It was called a Linn Half Track. It used an incredible amount of gas to haul each load of rock to the top of the mountain.

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/UnitedStates/unarmored-halftracks/LinnHT-T3.jpg

Why didn't you tell him to put some windows so we could enjoy the view.

dmc

Orville is still around...

Saw him carrying a garbage bag the other day.. He's definitely showing his 90+ age now... But he's still there.. Driving around town in his big Lincoln...

SIKSKIER

Totally disagree. For folks with a work ethic like this, they're not happy unless they're working.

I don't know how I missed this thread.
Totally agree Gregg.My dad is now 80 and works every day.He can't understand why I'm not there every weekend with him when I'm skiing.Work is fun for him and has kept him young and sharp as a tack while all his friends have gone downhill or down under.
Orville is a classic.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What is it with people who are named Orville?

Is it a requirement to have a weird last name and work until your 102?

Lots of parallels between Slutzky and Redinbaucher.

Perhaps I'll have a son and name him Orville so he can work until 102, that way my retirement worries will be less, lol

millerm277

My dad is now 80 and works every day.He can't understand why I'm not there every weekend with him when I'm skiing.Work is fun for him and has kept him young and sharp as a tack while all his friends have gone downhill or down under

Agreed, my grandfather is 86, and still doing construction and living in his own house. It amazes me how much energy he has, and how much time he spends working. (and, he's still about 10x as strong as I am).

NJSkiBabe

There is a great quote that I heard several years ago... "Do what you love and the money will follow." Obviously that is what the Slutzky family has done. If they didn't love what they were doing - they would have stopped doing it a long time ago.

Hunter is a great mountain and is run by a great family.

Every time I have been there I have experienced very friendly and helpful workers.. You don't get that at a lot of the other resorts.

I hope the Slutzky family continues to run Hunter for a long time.