• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Permanent Industry Changes in the Post-COVID World

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumbler

No, only people over the age 12 can get a vaccine. It is spreading among kids under the age of 12 in schools. I don't have a problem with schools being open but need to have masks. Again, the vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting covid but it lessens the effect of it.

VTKilarney

It is spreading among kids under the age of 12 in schools.

And so does the common cold. The odds of a grade school aged child having serious complications from Covid are statistically insignificant. I recall reading somewhere that they are lower for an unvaccinated child than a vaccinated adult - although I can't vouch for the veracity of that statement.

boston_e

We need to stop treating Covid as a huge threat to anyone under 50 - and probably older than that. The people freaking out about schools being open are not following the science.

At this point anyone who wants a vaccine has had the opportunity to get one. It's too bad that there are breakthrough cases, but the vast majority are no big deal. Mine was about the most anti-climatic thing I have ever seen.

Keep things open. If you want to be a hermit - then you are free to be one. But if you want to live your life, then go ahead.

And for the love of God, stop making this political. Four out of the five top states for deaths per capita are led by Democratic governors. And yet all you hear about is Florida and Texas - neither of which are in the top 5. Florida is 10th, and when you factor in the average age of their population, they are doing even better. Texas is 23rd.

The Democrats have targeted Desantis since he is the front runner for 2024 - and they are using the pandemic as their weapon against him. That isn't going to convince anyone in Florida to get vaccinated. It actually has the opposite effect. And Biden is lashing out more and more trying to find scapegoats since his promises to get Covid under control are falling flat. Mind you, I don't think that there is much more Biden can do - but he made some lofty promises and is now feeling exposed because of it.

On the individual level there is truth to what you are saying regarding younger more healthy people in general. What your post isn't touching on is that as a society we have to get this under control and the best way to do that is to get more people vaccinated The rate at which hospitals and ICUs are having to deal with this is not sustainable in the long term. Likewise we can all feel the effects of the pandemic on things like supply chain etc.

I don't know anyone advocating for schools or other business to not be open. Most, however, would like local school boards to have the ability to implement mask or other distancing measures if their situation ends up requiring it, rather than having a top down ban on masks by governors who are trying to score political points with their base. Most would also like to see the covid vaccine added to the list of required immunizations to attend school along with polio, MMR etc etc.

Desantis has brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself by putting his own political aspirations and scoring political points ahead of the health of his constituents.

Edd

We need to stop treating Covid as a huge threat to anyone under 50 - and probably older than that. The people freaking out about schools being open are not following the science.

At this point anyone who wants a vaccine has had the opportunity to get one. It's too bad that there are breakthrough cases, but the vast majority are no big deal. Mine was about the most anti-climatic thing I have ever seen.

Keep things open. If you want to be a hermit - then you are free to be one. But if you want to live your life, then go ahead.

And for the love of God, stop making this political. Four out of the five top states for deaths per capita are led by Democratic governors. And yet all you hear about is Florida and Texas - neither of which are in the top 5. Florida is 10th, and when you factor in the average age of their population, they are doing even better. Texas is 23rd.

The Democrats have targeted Desantis since he is the front runner for 2024 - and they are using the pandemic as their weapon against him. That isn't going to convince anyone in Florida to get vaccinated. It actually has the opposite effect. And Biden is lashing out more and more trying to find scapegoats since his promises to get Covid under control are falling flat. Mind you, I don't think that there is much more Biden can do - but he made some lofty promises and is now feeling exposed because of it.

”Stop making this political”, you say, just before posting two paragraphs of anti-Dem political content. 🙄

boston_e

And so does the common cold. The odds of a grade school aged child having serious complications from Covid are statistically insignificant. I recall reading somewhere that they are lower for an unvaccinated child than a vaccinated adult - although I can't vouch for the veracity of that statement.
Again, you are looking at this on the micro level, rather than on the overall need to get this pandemic finally under control

VTKilarney

”Stop making this political”, you say, just before posting two paragraphs of anti-Dem political content.

Am I wrong about the statistics for Florida and Texas - and the disproportionate hysteria over those two states?

And why did you ignore my statement that, "I don't think that there is much more Biden can do."?

This is the problem with politically motived people these days. They simply cannot accept criticism of their "tribe." As a moderate it drives me crazy.

VTKilarney

Again, you are looking at this on the micro level, rather than on the overall need to get this pandemic finally under control

Quite the opposite. I was looking at the macro level - which tells us that Covid is not nearly the threat to children that most people think it is.

boston_e

Am I wrong about the statistics for Florida and Texas - and the disproportionate hysteria over those two states?

And why did you ignore my statement that, "I don't think that there is much more Biden can do."?
Depends if you want to look at overall cases, hospitalizations and deaths since the start of the pandemic, or at trends and numbers since the vaccine has become available. Florida and Texas have had some of the worst numbers recently, despite having the best weapon there is at our fingertips.

It is not coincidence now that states with lower vaccination rates are experiencing higher numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths nowadays.

boston_e

Quite the opposite. I was looking at the macro level - which tells us that Covid is not nearly the threat to children that most people think it is.
Children spread it to others. We need to reduce the overall spread. We can do that by reducing the number of children who get infected. We can reduce the number of children who get infected by allowing schools to have mask and distancing requirements if their covid situation warrants it.

VTKilarney

Depends if you want to look at overall cases, hospitalizations and deaths since the start of the pandemic, or at trends and numbers since the vaccine has become available. Florida and Texas have had some of the worst numbers recently, despite having the best weapon there is at our fingertips.

It is not coincidence now that states with lower vaccination rates are experiencing higher numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths nowadays.

For active cases, Florida is up there (3rd), but Texas is 21st as far as active cases per capita - which is completely disproportionate for the hysteria we ae seeing. But for current death rates, your point about Florida is well taken. Texas is a more respectable 7th. Still bad, but definitely not the worst.

Frankly, what appears to matter most right now is the overall health of the population - and what people aren't mentioning is that the southern United States has among the least healthy people in the entire country. If you adjust for obesity rates, smoking, and other conditions, I suspect that the southern states aren't doing as badly as it appears. But then there is the question as to why the people in those states are so unhealthy to begin with...

This also explains in part why the United States has so many deaths. We are a nation of very unhealthy people.

Last edited:

drjeff

For active cases, Florida is up there (3rd), but Texas is 21st as far as active cases per capita. But for current death rates, your point about Florida is well taken. Texas is a more respectable 7th. Still bad, but definitely not the worst.

Florida data has to also be taken with the grain of salt of the significant percentage of their population that is over 65, and often with multiple co-morbidities, where the overall risk factor, just based on those 2 things, regardless of vaccination status, is going to be higher.

Additionally now it appears that some of the hospitalization numbers, as well as death numbers are starting to be obscured again by the "hospitalized/died FROM/DUE TO Covid" vs the 'hospitalized/died while they had Covid" data game again.

I think that we all can agree a say 8 year old who fell off a swing and broke his arm and had to be hospitalized for surgical correction and tested postive for Covid upon admisssion is far different than an 80 year old with hypertension and diabtetes who tested positive when they went to the hospital complaining of chest pains.

We really do HAVE to look at the details, and not just the headline. We still do have the ability to critically think afterall

abc

Children spread it to others. We need to reduce the overall spread. We can do that by reducing the number of children who get infected. We can reduce the number of children who get infected by allowing schools to have mask and distancing requirements if their covid situation warrants it.
Hmmm... I seem to recall some study showing small children don't seem to spread it to adults as readily as adult to adult. One hypothesis was they're so short their breath fall to the ground before entering an adult's nose.

Besides, it still boils down to adult vaccination rate. If all the adults around the children are vaccinated, and the children aren't getting seriously sick from the disease, the argument to vaccinate little children evaporates.

deadheadskier

Staff member

This is the problem with politically motived people these days. They simply cannot accept criticism of their "tribe." As a moderate it drives me crazy.

Give me a break. You're one of the most political motivated people in this forum and just unleashed the most political post in this thread by far. You're lack of self awareness is comical. Im not denying my own political participation from time to time in these forums, but your denial of the same is a joke. You have one of the highest ratios of political crowbar uses over the past several years by far.

And your stastics for FL and TX are completely cherry picked to say, "see my team is better."

The reason the death rates were much higher in those dummy dem run states is they were all hit hard early on. They didn't have the benefits of treatment discovery before having a problem like TX and FL. You know this is true, but just wanted to win one for your tribe. Look to current stats on hospitalizations, positive tests etc and it's quite clear that states with higher vaccination rates and better mitigation efforts are doing better now.

Now back to the topic at hand, yes Covid is being over sensationalized currently given the data. But it's still worthy of great focus as the negative impacts on the healthcare system is still being felt in many areas. There's also the fact that the vaccine isn't as effective as we hoped. I read a stat the other day that 9% of deaths since April have been via breakthrough cases. This is not being talked about because the CDC doesn't want more people to refuse the jab than they are already.

Have a good day sir.

machski

The only issue with hanging your hat in masking in schools is that kids are not great at wearing them (at a minimum properly) all day in school. Teachers wind up wasting time in class harping on students to adjust masks properly. I have heard some schools to reduce this have gone to a call to admin office, which in turn sends an admin to the classroom and removes said student improperly wearing a mask. Not to mention the kids constantly touching and adjusting them throughout the day. I think the usefulness of masks in schools due to this far too overblown. Even last year, there were major surges in schools when masks were mandatory pretty much nationwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.