• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Potential Mogul Clinic offered by Dan DiPiro

Greg

Staff member
Greg, where at Sundown is there real advanced bump terrain?

You might want to consider a beginner clinic at Sundown and the advanced clinic at Hunter for the Southern dates.

Good point. That might be a great option and Dan could stay somewhere between Hunter and Sundown that Saturday night. They are about a 2 hour drive apart.

dmc

I could be down for this... Been a while...

Greg

Staff member
I could be down for this... Been a while...

YES! :cool:

Retro_Doug1989.jpg

Sorry, D. You just know that I'm going to bust out that classic every now and again... :lol:

dmc

Sorry, D. You just know that I'm going to bust out that classic every now and again... :lol:

No problemo..
I was actually a pretty good mogul skier for the style at the time... But that very style drove me out... it hurt...

jack97

-- one for beginning bumpers, one for more experienced bumpers looking to hone their technique. Even the beginning bumpers clinics, however, would be for advanced skiers; you really want to have your game going on the groomers before you venture into moguls.

Been busy for the past half week so I’m getting in late.

I think Dan’s point is that what ever you do in the flats; you eventually bring to the bumps. In my case, I can make a zipper line in a low angle bump field but. When the field gets steep and the bumps are further apart, that’s where I lose it. Can’t tell if I’m doing something fundamentally wrong; bad turns, timing is off, bad hip position or something else. Thus doing drills in the flats can correct these fundamental problems.

Having said this, it might still be a good idea if Dan list out the differences and goals between the beginner and advance clinics. In addition, some prerequisite requirements for each clinic might give a better idea of which one is best suited for each individual.

Greg

Staff member
I think Dan’s point is that what ever you do in the flats; you eventually bring to the bumps. In my case, I can make a zipper line in a low angle bump field but. When the field gets steep and the bumps are further apart, that’s where I lose it. Can’t tell if I’m doing something fundamentally wrong; bad turns, timing is off, bad hip position or something else. Thus doing drills in the flats can correct these fundamental problems.

Having said this, it might still be a good idea if Dan list out the differences and goals between the beginner and advance clinics. In addition, some prerequisite requirements for each clinic might give a better idea of which one is best suited for each individual.

I am in the same boat as you. Low-angle bumps, no problem. Steeper bumps and I tend to break out of the zipper and check turn on the bump tops. My reliance on A&E goes out the window. I'm pretty sure it's just a confidence thing.

Spelling out the prereqs and goals for each clinic is a good idea. I'm actually probably somewhere in the middle, really. I guess I'm an intermediate mogul skier if that's possible. I can hold lines, do a fair amount of A&E (on low angle or very evenly seeded bumps) and can keep the stance pretty narrow. On steeper stuff though, I tend to crouch and hinge which eventually sends me back which we all know is not the place to be.

JimG.

Staff member
I am in the same boat as you. Low-angle bumps, no problem. Steeper bumps and I tend to break out of the zipper and check turn on the bump tops. My reliance on A&E goes out the window. I'm pretty sure it's just a confidence thing.

Spelling out the prereqs and goals for each clinic is a good idea. I'm actually probably somewhere in the middle, really. I guess I'm an intermediate mogul skier if that's possible. I can hold lines, do a fair amount of A&E (on low angle or very evenly seeded bumps) and can keep the stance pretty narrow. On steeper stuff though, I tend to crouch and hinge which eventually sends me back which we all know is not the place to be.

Mastering steep moguls is the last step...you're advanced.

I think there's too much worry about ability levels. I've taken "intermediate" bump clinics that gave me as much as I could handle, and I've been in "advanced" groups that bored me to death. It really all depends on who shows up at the hill that day.

Dan, if the advanced clinics get crowded I'll be glad to spend a day with a beginner group too.

Greg

Staff member
Mastering steep moguls is the last step...you're advanced.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm getting there. The past two seasons have been breakthrough ones for me. It's almost become an addiction which is good because to truly ski bumps well, you need to put in a lot of time and practice. It's not something you're going to pick up very quickly by dabbling in the mogul field one or two times each outing...

I think there's too much worry about ability levels. I've taken "intermediate" bump clinics that gave me as much as I could handle, and I've been in "advanced" groups that bored me to death. It really all depends on who shows up at the hill that day.

Well, this is sort of the point. With some structure, and if folks will remain honest about their ability level, perhaps we can get some evenly matched groups and "curriculum" which is appropriate.

Really looking forward to this!

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
to truly ski bumps well, you need to put in a lot of time and practice. It's not something you're going to pick up very quickly by dabbling in the mogul field one or two times each outing...

Why do people qualify by giving the exact activity they are undertaking when they say they need to put in alot of time and practice to get good?

Newsflash! It's true for anything in life you want to do well at. My son David learned that at the USClub soccer national tournament he went to a month ago. They lost to teams that were better coached and that worked harder than his team. Physically and talent wise, David could play with those kids. But you could see better teamwork, ball control, and most of all decision making on those better teams. No mystery...those teams practice 5 times a week, David's team twice a week. No mystery at all.

Hard work=good results.

Greg

Staff member
Why do people qualify by giving the exact activity they are undertaking when they say they need to put in alot of time and practice to get good?

Newsflash! It's true for anything in life you want to do well at. My son David learned that at the USClub soccer national tournament he went to a month ago. They lost to teams that were better coached and that worked harder than his team. Physically and talent wise, David could play with those kids. But you could see better teamwork, ball control, and most of all decision making on those better teams. No mystery...those teams practice 5 times a week, David's team twice a week. No mystery at all.

Hard work=good results.

Not sure what language that first sentence is, but I get your point. ;)

I guess what I'm getting at is that I've seen a lot of decent skiers lose all semblance of form and technique when they get in the bumps. Many would like to ski bumps well, but don't put in the time and effort to learn how and only hit the bump field once or twice and then get frustrated. I think that's why many skiers that have paid their dues to learn moguls scoff if someone proclaims to be an expert skier yet can't ski moguls. Or they say, "I don't ski bumps" which often times means, "I can't ski bumps" which is because they don't put in the time needed to learn them. Granted there are those that have suffered injury or otherwise shouldn't be skiing bumps, but that's not who I'm talking about. Bottom line is you're not going to get it unless you log the miles, and at times, it can feel like a long road.

snowmonster

I'll be in for a beginner lesson in the north venue. Sugarbush would be great!

As for the date, if it could be one of those Saturdays I'm blacked out at SR (am getting the silver pass), except for the Saturday after the Super Bowl, then that would be excellent.

JimG.

Staff member
Not sure what language that first sentence is, but I get your point. ;)

What, you don't understand convoluted and wordy?

Maybe we're saying the same thing. I hear people talk about bumps like they're some kind of Holy Grail of skiing. That unreachable state of skiing bliss. Only for the young daredevil who can turn their feet at the speed of light.

They build it up to the point that they create an image that is unreachable. I'll never be a pro bumper, but I can ski bumps. And I'm sure I can improve at them too.

Greg

Staff member
Maybe we're saying the same thing. I hear people talk about bumps like they're some kind of Holy Grail of skiing. That unreachable state of skiing bliss. Only for the young daredevil who can turn their feet at the speed of light.

They build it up to the point that they create an image that is unreachable. I'll never be a pro bumper, but I can ski bumps. And I'm sure I can improve at them too.

We're on the same page here. Well said. It really makes me happy to see so many people willing to take a step like this to improve in the bumps. Once the basics click, they may just find themselves as addicted as I am. Nailing a line with decent speed and A&E is an awesome feeling. Unfortunately it's something I don't feel each run, but always strive for...

madskier6

Forgive my stupidity but what is A&E? I'm assuming you don't mean the Arts & Entertainment network cable TV channel. :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Forgive my stupidity but what is A&E? I'm assuming you don't mean the Arts & Entertainment network cable TV channel. :wink:

Absorbtion and Extension. Check out Dan's book. Well worth the money.

Greg

Staff member
Any other suggestions/comments?