• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Prediction: Do you think Mittersill will open this year?

KevinF

Reading through this thread has left me confused as I don't get to Cannon anywhere nearly as often as I used to. Is it now illegal / frowned-upon to make the hike from Taft trail at all? Are you not supposed to be over there if the lift isn't running?

I fall squarely into the camp of that lift being a bad idea, as Mittersill simply doesn't appear to get enough natural snow to support the crowds that the lift brings. Half the fun of Mittersill was having to hike for it and knowing how to get back.

SIKSKIER

Right on the money Kevin with reguard to your last paragraph.They do have the rope across the access at the bottom of Taft but there is no issue going under it to hike.My buddy was over there 4 times 2 Saturdays ago.Riv has it right in his post.

Puck it

Right on the money Kevin with reguard to your last paragraph.They do have the rope across the access at the bottom of Taft but there is no issue going under it to hike.My buddy was over there 4 times 2 Saturdays ago.Riv has it right in his post.

No rope just bamboo poles with closed signs, they would have a huge liability issue with a rope since carrying speed of the Taft is the key to minimize the hike

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Having Mittersill "on the map" and official has caused some issues for patrol. Before they could look the other way no problem but now everyone going over there is "ducking the rope" even if there isn't an actual rope but rather a closed sign (same difference). I can sympathize but they should have just left things alone and we'd all be better for it. I've only been stopped by patrol once while hiking and they were just telling people to be responsible and stay right and blah blah blah. Nothing good has come of having a lift and having that area as an open/closed area, it is just a major headache for everyone and conditions suck once (if) the lift runs.

Bottom line you can still hike and Mittersill is best skied before the lift turns, as it ever was. Even when the lift is running, hiking is still the best way to get over there since you can ski the race course. Otherwise, you need to do a long traverse with a little uphill on the Fleitman or waste a run skiing down to the TB QUad.

gregnye

Bump

Keep ya fingers and toes crossed! I hope that "notch effect" helps make the best of this epic storm Friday Night!!! We want Mittersill!!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
How is Cannon doing for natural snow since the blow torch? When I drove by Cannon last Sunday en route to Burke, it looks like they picked up a few inches. What is the base depth of natural snow trails at the moment? Say worst case scenario such as how much snow is at the base of Mittersill right now?

Puck it

How is Cannon doing for natural snow since the blow torch? When I drove by Cannon last Sunday en route to Burke, it looks like they picked up a few inches. What is the base depth of natural snow trails at the moment? Say worst case scenario such as how much snow is at the base of Mittersill right now?

I heard that the base was gone from a couple of people. I have seen it for myself though. Cannonball was up on Sunday so he may chime in. They also only say 4" in the last 4 days.

Puck it

Post storm update?

Well, there was no base before the storm and they have gotten about 2' of light snow. It has been windy.

Is it skiable, yes. Is it going to pen the lift. No. It okay up top and skier's left thru Skyline and Candyland, but thins out pretty quick down past the T bar line. There are a lot of hidden dangers under the snow that will not allow them open it with the lift. And some more blow down after yesterday.

Cheese

Well, there was no base before the storm and they have gotten about 2' of light snow. It has been windy.

Is it skiable, yes. Is it going to pen the lift. No. It okay up top and skier's left thru Skyline and Candyland, but thins out pretty quick down past the T bar line. There are a lot of hidden dangers under the snow that will not allow them open it with the lift. And some more blow down after yesterday.

That's not the answer I wanted to hear, but thanks for the update.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'll echo Puck It's assessment. I was there after the big storm and they got 16" during the two day total. I got first tracks down T-bar where the base was non-existent before the storm. Even with first tracks and skiing light on my feet, I still took several scratches and a core shot. Sweet. Typical Mittersill. Everything from T-bar line on down needs another foot minimum to even get consideration for opening, two feet would be ideal.

My favorite part about that storm at Cannon? Their snow report. Mittersill was listed as "Stay tuned..." F U Cannon. I knew that was just BS but after skiing it, I was blown away that they would even elude to it. You don't elude to something on your snow report that you are not even contemplating. There was absolutely 0% possibility of Mittersill opening after that storm. Which is why I was there, not hating on the lift not spinning, it was rather ideal for me. But still...

Now that the snow has compacted and has been skied on even more, I suspect base depth below mid-mountain has probably compacted to a few inches or less. Still needs 1-2' depending on density.

Stay tuned.... :uzi:

gregnye

BUMP! IT HAS BEEN OPEN!! :lol:

How's it looking this year? Someone should post some pictures. I wish I could get out to cannon right now, but I have quite a lot of work to get done (as you can see, I am really busy--being on alpinezone right now and all :-D)

deadheadskier

Staff member