• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Prediction: Do you think Mittersill will open this year?

MadPadraic

They opened Tramline today, but the middle section didn't look at all fun. Kinsman's glade was great, and I had the following pleasant exchange with an idiot snowboarder who was talking about riding it when he got off the tram:

Me: Want to go down Kinsmans'?
Idiot: I can't hear your I have headphones in.
Me (louder): I asked if you wanted to do Kinsman.
Idiot: go straight, hit a tree.

I was happy to see that his skill level was just right so that he could both make it out safely and look TERRIBLE doing so.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Interesting to hear that Kinsman skied well. That is a good sign. Not surprised that Tramline is looking a little thin. They are at 151" YTD but the January thaw makes YTD numbers not really comparable with an average year. I had assumed this would be one of the many years that Tramline never opened. I'd be interested to hear from someone that skied it whether it warrants being open or if Cannon marketing department pushed patrol to open it despite thin conditions to claim 100% open. I'm always surprised when Tramline opens given how ridiculously conservative Cannon patrol usually is about dropping ropes...

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I skied Mittersill on Sat. It was the first thing I hit, went straight to the summit and hiked the saddle, then did three runs using the Mittersill Double. I then spent the rest of the morning thinking about many people's reaction on this site when they announced the double and how I'm going to write a post saying that I think the double is a great idea and people on this site tend to overreact and over-analyze whatever changes ski areas make...

...then I went back in the early afternoon. Holy. Crap. It was scraped down Hell. I now see exactly why the double is a terrible idea.

eatskisleep

Skied it Saturday too... Likewise went over from the saddle then took one run from the lift. Stayed off the main Mittersill spots and deep in the woods instead... Still pretty scratchy in places, but first tracks proved to be great in other spots.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
...then I went back in the early afternoon. Holy. Crap. It was scraped down Hell. I now see exactly why the double is a terrible idea.
Yea, pretty major difference between 1 run taking an hour round trip and requiring hiking every time (which means you won't do it more than a few times a day) and 1 run taking 12 minutes round trip and requiring no hiking to more people go over to ski it. Mittersill doesn't get enough natural and isn't pruned enough to handle the traffic.

It is cool if people like the lift. But there is no question that the skiing was better with less traffic. And of course, it still is quite good before the lift starts running. :D

Cannonball

I had assumed this would be one of the many years that Tramline never opened. I'd be interested to hear from someone that skied it whether it warrants being open or if Cannon marketing department pushed patrol to open it despite thin conditions to claim 100% open.

Did not ski it yesterday but did contemplate it and was evaluating closely during several tram rides. I'd say it was right on the line. It was reasonable to have it open and some were skiing it really well. Unfortunately it's become an icon run now and a lot of people who shouldn't be on it do it any way. The rental shop is going to be doing a lot of work on their gear today.

Kinsman skied well, though thin in the usual places. On map trees were beginning to get rutted out with occasional fresh lines left over if you don't mind getting deep and tight. Off map trees were heavenly! Very little traffic. Long, long stretches of untouched and DEEP. Couldn't always find the bottom by pole probing.

The fog was intense. Outside of the trees it was an exercise in using the Force. As mentally draining as physical. But soft enough to handle if you had faith.

SIKSKIER

I too hit Mittersill early Saturday.Skied ok 1st 2 runs and then I left for better coverage next door.Nice 5 inch surprize on Sunday morning with a bit more on the summit.But holy crap,I would like to see the sun one of these weekends.I believe I've only had 3 days all season.
Btw,Tramline had the usual nasty looking boulder section looking pretty uninviting around noon.

witch hobble

I made a lot of trashy runs over there during the NH vaca week. And a couple nice ones too. My 8 year old and her friends are obsessed with it now. It is like this whole other worldly part of Cannon that they sort of knew existed, and now want to figure out. They were constantly like "Mittersill!!!!" and I was like "Really? Again?" And that is certainly the nicest, smoothest double chair around, with a old school, narrow, steep unload.

So sorry wistful old-timers bemoaning what's become. I feel your pain. It trashes out ridiculously quick (guilty!). Welcome to your Brave New World! :cool:

gregnye

BUMP!! So what do you guys think this year??? I think there is still hope!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hope so. Haven't skied it since the lift went in and I've got a voucher to ski there this year.

Tin

I would be surprised to see the Tramline or Mittersill open this year. If either do I'm calling out of work or skipping school.

jrmagic

I would be surprised to see the Tramline or Mittersill open this year. If either do I'm calling out of work or skipping school.

Really? There's plenty if time for snow as its still relatively early. Many seasons produce the majority of useable snow from February forward.