• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Preparation for the new ski season for the knee

Puck it

I went to the ortho today for my first injection of the Ortho Visc(knee lubrication). Two more over the next three weeks. I hope this helps the knee out. It is suppose to last 6-12 months.

Anyone else have this?

steamboat1

This will be my second season skiing with a torn ACL (no surgery). I just walk & bike ride plus some stretching exercises to try to keep my knee somewhat strong. I fully intend to wear my knee brace while skiing again this year. Sorry I don't know anything about lubrication shots.

Cornhead

No, but after suffering off and on with my "good" knee last season I'm considering having it looked at prior to the start of the season. It's been good all Summer, but I haven't stressed it much. I just cut out sugar and snacks from my diet, I'm hoping to drop 30lbs by Dec. I'm hoping this will help with my knee issues. My brother, non-skier has had several shots in his knee, not sure what, I do know it wasn't Cortisone. Maybe, that's what he's had, I'll ask him. I do know the best ski season of my life would've been even better had I not had issues with my knee.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Puck it

This will be my second season skiing with a torn ACL (no surgery). I just walk & bike ride plus some stretching exercises to try to keep my knee somewhat strong. I fully intend to wear my knee brace while skiing again this year. Sorry I don't know anything about lubrication shots.

I am bone on bone in the knee after four surgeries including an ACL reconstrucution. I would highly suggest to get it done before more damage is done. I did not have an ACL for 12 years and wore a brace. The knee would still pop out with the brace. If I had done the ACL sooner I would be having the problmes I am having now.

mriceyman

What about preparation for toe bang.. Both big toes suffered badly last year before I picked up new boots. Both nails still aren't fully grown back .

steamboat1

I am bone on bone in the knee after four surgeries including an ACL reconstrucution. I would highly suggest to get it done before more damage is done. I did not have an ACL for 12 years and wore a brace. The knee would still pop out with the brace. If I had done the ACL sooner I would be having the problmes I am having now.
My knee has never popped out brace or no brace. Don't even feel any weakness in the knee, just a little occassional throbbing pain. My doctor is the one who didn't recommend surgery for me so I'll take his advice. Besides in 12 years I'll be over 70 & will probably be a little rickity anyway.

JimG.

Staff member
Toenails need to be as short as possible! True for both skiing and hiking.

Toe bang sucks.

bigbog

Good move Puck it. No bone to bone..Yet.
I've lost some weight and the exercises for the legs are ongoing with needed mineral intake in ski season..etc. Kneeling down varies on occasion...from Okay to some pain on occasion so just a guess but something might be moving around a little inside.
Think I should get a clear picture of status from someone/clinic.

hammer

What about preparation for toe bang.. Both big toes suffered badly last year before I picked up new boots. Both nails still aren't fully grown back .
Would rather not have nails then have two ingrown ones. Had one ingrown nail trimmed a few years ago (lost a few weeks in December for it) and it's growing back in now.:roll:

Still pretty trivial compared to having to get shots for knee issues.

planb420

To combat my knee surgeries I have started a regiment of Leg workouts using the incline leg press. I do single leg and both leg full rang of motion sets in pyramid sets. I also do what I call calf impact raises on it, I put as much weight as I can move (775lbs right now) and rep it to failure in quick succesion. This simulates all the heavy/hard impacts the joints experience when in the park and on the moguls. Ive been super impressed with the resulting muscle mass gained around the knee for added support! I usually hit this workout once a week, and as soon as October gets her they will be twice a week. Just some food for thought if you like hitting the gym....

[video]https://www.facebook.com/cmedlar#!/video.php?v=10100759769962101&set=vb.40002744&type =2&theater[/video]

A sample(if it works) of the impact raises

Gunny J

Website
skiingnepa.blogspot.com
I had torn acl meniscus 17 yrs ago fully repaired, great for 14 yrs. Last Couple seasons pain inflammation and swelling . Tried synvisc injection last 2 yrs . Better ,but not the true answer. Tried acupuncture this Summer ,seemed to work well .

Brad J

Have gone 16 seasons with no ACL had some problems but after my Quad Tendon ruptured , and repaired all is good. leg is much stronger and pain is gone. I only wish I had realized the the Quad was partially torn , It would have saved me from a lot of long and slow chair lift rides( that when it really hurt), if it ruptured sooner, I thought it was bone on bone from the ACL rupture wear.

HowieT2

I went to the ortho today for my first injection of the Ortho Visc(knee lubrication). Two more over the next three weeks. I hope this helps the knee out. It is suppose to last 6-12 months.

Anyone else have this?

i havent had this but I buddy of mine just had his third a few weeks ago. He is very pleased with the results so far. Mostly after the last shot. The first 2 did little for him. Good luck.

dlague

I tore my ACL a few seasons ago and got repaired immediately. I had 30% of my inside menisci removed as well. The best thing I found that really works has been biking - a lot! Working the quads and building muscle back up to full strength plus is important. I ski with a brace to this day and will continue. Interestingly this is the first summer since tearing my ACL where I felt comfortable running again. Be patient and do not rush it!

HowieT2

I tore my ACL a few seasons ago and got repaired immediately. I had 30% of my inside menisci removed as well. The best thing I found that really works has been biking - a lot! Working the quads and building muscle back up to full strength plus is important. I ski with a brace to this day and will continue. Interestingly this is the first summer since tearing my ACL where I felt comfortable running again. Be patient and do not rush it!

sameadvice here. Biking is great for the knees. I was 100% 2 months after my acl surgery 3 years ago and feel my knees are stronger now than they ever were. No issues whatsoever. Keep on biking and stretching.

Puck it

I am 12 years removed from the ACL reconstruction and have less than 5% meniscus left. My problem now is arthritis thus the need for the ortho visc.

ScottySkis

Toenails need to be as short as possible! True for both skiing and hiking.

Toe bang sucks.
This is very true. I still suffer pain from having my left big toe nail come off like 3 years ago. It takes a long time to heal. Lots of advil and great fitting hiking boots do help.

SnowRock

I am 12 years removed from the ACL reconstruction and have less than 5% meniscus left. My problem now is arthritis thus the need for the ortho visc.
Puck It.. not to say that you won't see some relief from the hyaluronic acid injection, but if you take a look at most of the major ortho professional guidelines, they now universally recommend against the stuff. The AAOS kind of slams the literature that supports effifcacy and suggests most of the studies used to initially support the stuff were biased. At the same time, I used to do some work with one of the brands and know some people seem to feel better with it.

I had full ACL replacement way back in 97, then a seperate partial meniscectomy in 2002. About 2 years ago I was having some pain and ended up getting some pictures and my ortho is convinced my ACL graft is re-torn. That said since i was not complaining about instability he suggested giving cortisone a try for the pain and waiting on the surgery option. Definitely helped, going back for another but I think this spring I will need to bite the bullet and get the ACL replaced, will also need to do some clean-up of whatever meniscus i have left in there. I snowboard which helps and added the Breg fusion xt brace to my equipment and have average 25-30 days the past two seasons which is good for me.

I'll try and get out on the mountain bike as much as possible this fall and I bough a bosu ball to do balance exercises while watching tv, seems to help.

dlague

That has to be tough! Every now and then I will get a little bone on bone incident and it can be painful. The stronger my legs the less it happens!

I was glad to have mine done using a cadaver patella tendon. I was skiing again 7 months after surgery and kept biking straight through winter which I think helped a lot!

Puck it

That has to be tough! Every now and then I will get a little bone on bone incident and it can be painful. The stronger my legs the less it happens!

I was glad to have mine done using a cadaver patella tendon. I was skiing again 7 months after surgery and kept biking straight through winter which I think helped a lot!

They used my my patella tendon for the replacement. I developed tendinitis in it during rehab, but I was playing hockey again the following December. Surgery was at the beginning of May. My surgery was 8 hours. It was only suppos to be 3-4. He had to do a lot of bone grinding since I abused it so much. He said it was the worse seen he had seen. The surgery was so long that my leg had no feeling for more than a day from the tourniquet. It was like pins and needles like when you sit on it too long.