• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Progress on Deer Valley's New Sister Resort

BenedictGomez

Construction continues on the hotel, but no progress on ski infrastructure that is "2-4 years" out supposedly.

Aren't construction legalities your forte? What do you think the odds are this ends up being a complete cluster**** of a spider web of lawsuits & a total mess?

Alternatively, could this thing be a trojan horse excuse just to get the 66 townhomes & 36 (I'm sure very nice & very expensive) homes built? Those will 100% sell in this market & bring in a fortune. I see somewhat unimpressive homes in Heber that were $400,000 a few years ago listing for $750,000 now. And the expense for "hiking & biking trails already under construction" is totally minimal. I just don't see the need for big hotels there, and I think it's a terrible place for a convention center. But the fact the entire thing is under the auspicious promise of a ski resort, but yet there's no real info on said ski resort, makes this look like a gigantic scam to me.

FBGM

Aren't construction legalities your forte? What do you think the odds are this ends up being a complete cluster**** of a spider web of lawsuits & a total mess?

Alternatively, could this thing be a trojan horse excuse just to get the 66 townhomes & 36 (I'm sure very nice & very expensive) homes built? Those will 100% sell in this market & bring in a fortune. I see somewhat unimpressive homes in Heber that were $400,000 a few years ago listing for $750,000 now. And the expense for "hiking & biking trails already under construction" is totally minimal. I just don't see the need for big hotels there, and I think it's a terrible place for a convention center. But the fact the entire thing is under the auspicious promise of a ski resort, but yet there's no real info on said ski resort, makes this look like a gigantic scam to me.
100% will be a law suite unfinished clusterfuck.

passed it Saturday. Nothing is really being done. There’s something that resembles a foundation way over on the one side, maybe not even related to this project.

Wasatch Peaks ranch is full on. Lifts and shit going in. Good bud is working on it so I’ll see some pics soon.

in other news I’m so over Utah and the population boom. Starting to look at some outs. Where to next.

snoseek

100% will be a law suite unfinished clusterfuck.

passed it Saturday. Nothing is really being done. There’s something that resembles a foundation way over on the one side, maybe not even related to this project.

Wasatch Peaks ranch is full on. Lifts and shit going in. Good bud is working on it so I’ll see some pics soon.

in other news I’m so over Utah and the population boom. Starting to look at some outs. Where to next.
Spokane or Sandpoint? It's really blown up there and I can see why you're over it

FBGM

Spokane or Sandpoint? It's really blown up there and I can see why you're over it
To far away unless I have one of those kush work from home jobs. Need to get on that boat before it sails.

I barley ski anymore, or to the extent I did. I’d rather be somewhere where I can play golf most of the year and be closer to my parents as they are getting to that age where they are gonna need some help.

fucking adulting. Damn life. Damn Vail. Damn California.

snoseek

To far away unless I have one of those kush work from home jobs. Need to get on that boat before it sails.

I barley ski anymore, or to the extent I did. I’d rather be somewhere where I can play golf most of the year and be closer to my parents as they are getting to that age where they are gonna need some help.

fucking adulting. Damn life. Damn Vail. Damn California.
Parente in utah?

Arizona sounds about right or even new Mexico.

My aging parents are a huge factor to me coming back to nh. I feel like I got some good years in out there and the itch is scratched. The skiing back here has been alot more fun than I imagined.

FBGM

Parente in utah?

Arizona sounds about right or even new Mexico.

My aging parents are a huge factor to me coming back to nh. I feel like I got some good years in out there and the itch is scratched. The skiing back here has been alot more fun than I imagined.
Yup. Back east to the roots I imagine is what is gonna happen to me sooner then later. Like you, had my run in the prime years out here. Dump the real estate and buy like a king back east. And golf when the winters and lame.

BenedictGomez

Even though it’s right next to Deer Valley, Mayflower will be its own self-contained resort.

What a boondoggle this is, they needed the excuse of a "ski resort" to get this built under the obscure provision related to Snowbasin 2002 to build all these homes, condos, hotels, etc....., so they have to pretend it's a real ski resort, even if it's just 1 or 2 lifts serving crappy low-angle terrain.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What a boondoggle this is, they needed the excuse of a "ski resort" to get this built under the obscure provision related to Snowbasin 2002 to build all these homes, condos, hotels, etc....., so they have to pretend it's a real ski resort, even if it's just 1 or 2 lifts serving crappy low-angle terrain.

In that last article it sounded like Deer Valley isn't biting in terms of operating this "ski area." In fact, Deer Valley is moving ahead with their own parking garage and hotel project at Snow Park Lodge.

Tin Woodsman

I can't speak to future lawsuits, but this project was ill-conceived from the start. The terrain is low elevation, east facing and even further from the Wasatch spine than Deer Valley. It's as if someone looked at Jordanelle and thought - "let's do that, only 3x bigger and with no guaranteed connection into the resort which is driving all of the value for prospective investors".

Can someone give me the tl.dr version of the prospective legal shenanigans?

BenedictGomez

Drove by this today, and it doesn't look all that much different than the last time I drove by almost 2.5 years ago when new roads or vehicle paths were put in. Yes, there's much more work that's been done since then, but it still all looks to be earthworks, digging, grading, stone walls, etc.. No buildings are up or even construction framing etc...

FBGM

Fancy new Wasatch peaks is coming along. Saw some pics of it the other day of trail cutting and lift lines getting cleared.

In other news my house almost burnt down Saturday in a forest fire. Then yesterday we all flooded and today we have snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Fancy new Wasatch peaks is coming along. Saw some pics of it the other day of trail cutting and lift lines getting cleared.

In other news my house almost burnt down Saturday in a forest fire. Then yesterday we all flooded and today we have snow.
Right. I drove by WP a couple weeks ago. Definite trails and liftlines are cut. Too smoky for pictures. Looks good.

Meanwhile in Utah.....

Attachments

• Snowbird 8.19.21.jpg
    Snowbird 8.19.21.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 6

BenedictGomez

In other news my house almost burnt down Saturday in a forest fire.

You live somewhere up Parley's like Summit Park?

I took this picture of the smoke on Saturday as it was just getting started. By late at night as it was growing, I was thinking it was even-money we'd have to evacuate.

Attachments

• Parley's smoke.jpg
    Parley's smoke.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 7

BenedictGomez

View attachment 51825
Yup Summit Park. Good times last weekend.

Thank god it turned out okay, the assets they tossed at that fire were astounding. Besides out the window, I was watching it on flightradar24 & the number of airborne helicopters, light planes, tankers, and VLATs was crazy. I heard something like 15 aircraft in total, besides all the ground vehicles and firefighters.

BenedictGomez

It just seems like an area without a cause. They say 4,000 people per day? I dunno, when I go to the Wasatch I wont be one of them. I wont stay there either. I dont get it.