• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged or Cannon for Thursday 2/20???

alexcampagna898

I've never been to either mountain...so i don't have any past experiences to fall back on. i'm going with my dad and a friend. We're all about the same skill level intermediate-advanced, but I haven't been to any mountain besides wachusett and yawgoo in over a year. Normally Cannon would be the clear choice because of its challenge, but in all honesty Im not sure I'll be up for some of the harder stuff (Dj's, kinsman, even mittersill), after not having skied anything hard in a while. That being said, I don't wanna a mountain that wont provide a solid challenge. I'm looking for good glades, lots of snow, not much wait, steep terrain, and reasonable conditions (main reason i'm second guessing cannon). Any tips or input would really help. Thanks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ragged's glades (in the center between the two peaks) are marked and moderately spaced, with some challenging, but not nearly impossible lines. I always have a ball in there. Ragged is a bit more limited in terms of total acres, and the vertical is less, but I can have a delightful time there, mostly because it doesn't get as beat up as usual. All bets are off, as you're hitting the second peak Mass. vacation week, so things will be busier than usual. Ragged is a bit more laid back, not as many "hard core" bang-em-up skiers as Cannon.

bobbutts

I'd check the snow totals in the am, but Ragged 8" and Cannon 4" seem to have not done as well according to their reports. Maybe Gunstock 12" or Crotched 10" just for a bunch of new snow. I got 13" here in Bow, so it's a shame to drive far for less snow.

alexcampagna898

Ragged's glades (in the center between the two peaks) are marked and moderately spaced, with some challenging, but not nearly impossible lines. I always have a ball in there. Ragged is a bit more limited in terms of total acres, and the vertical is less, but I can have a delightful time there, mostly because it doesn't get as beat up as usual. All bets are off, as you're hitting the second peak Mass. vacation week, so things will be busier than usual. Ragged is a bit more laid back, not as many "hard core" bang-em-up skiers as Cannon.

Ragged seems more my type because of the laid back, friendly vibe. I'm just concerned I won't get enough challenge there. But on the other hand I'm concerned I'll get more than I bargained for at cannon.
Are there any cliff jumps, bumps, etc at ragged?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

If you want a laid-back vibe, then cannon and ragged will offer that. Ragged doesn't offer much in the way of challenge, so I would opt for cannon. Loon could be another option. Not laid-back, but the terrain sounds more like it might be up your alley. Solid intermediate/advanced terrain.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

jack97

Ragged's glades (in the center between the two peaks) are marked and moderately spaced, with some challenging, but not nearly impossible lines. I always have a ball in there.

I always had a blast in those glades, I heard the backside way to get into those glades was interesting. I never seen a way to get in but I heard this from multiple sources.

canobie#1

Ragged.
The atmosphere, the glades, the natural trails, the moguls and the waffles. Mhhh the waffles.

alexcampagna898

If you want a laid-back vibe, then cannon and ragged will offer that. Ragged doesn't offer much in the way of challenge, so I would opt for cannon. Loon could be another option. Not laid-back, but the terrain sounds more like it might be up your alley. Solid intermediate/advanced terrain.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

I have been to loon, and its always fun. But I'm just concerned about the crowds since its vacation week

hammer

I'd say Ragged, the glades and ungroomed may be a little tamer than Cannon.

I have yet to get into Rags to Riches, wasn't enough snow last time I went. Plan on going to Ragged on 2 March, guessing the woods will still be in play...would like to know how doable they are for an upper intermediate.

alexcampagna898

I'd say Ragged, the glades and ungroomed may be a little tamer than Cannon.

I have yet to get into Rags to Riches, wasn't enough snow last time I went. Plan on going to Ragged on 2 March, guessing the woods will still be in play...would like to know how doable they are for an upper intermediate.

How are ragged's double black glades? Challenging? Any small cliff jumps?

SIKSKIER

I'd check the snow totals in the am, but Ragged 8" and Cannon 4" seem to have not done as well according to their reports. Maybe Gunstock 12" or Crotched 10" just for a bunch of new snow. I got 13" here in Bow, so it's a shame to drive far for less snow.

Cannon actually ended up with the same (8-9) as Ragged.
Gunstock 12
Crotched & Pats 10
Cannon & Ragged 8-9
Loon 5-7
Killington 6
Waterville 4
SR 5
Mt Snow 3-4
Loaf 2-3
Other than the above listed,Cannon made out better than all the other big boys.

alexcampagna898

If you're looking for double blacks Ragged is the choice. Cannon has no double black diamond runs.

Lol, I meant comparatively how hard are ragged's double blacks to Canon's blacks

Savemeasammy

Go to cannon. If something looks like it's beyond you, don't ski it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexcampagna898

What if the OP wants to do glades but Cannon's glades are too much? Wouldn't Ragged be the better choice?

The optimal snow conditions at cannon are probably too much to lure me away from the mountain at this point

hammer

The optimal snow conditions at cannon are probably too much to lure me away from the mountain at this point

Sounds like you have made your choice...enjoy. I'd like to be able to get to Cannon on a good day myself.

Robbski

I was at Ragged on Monday . Crowds -- minimal, snow in groomers very nice, Glades sort of tracked out with some nice spots. if you haven't been out for a while you'll have a good time there.