• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recreational skiing photography

loafer89

Where are those panorama pictures from? I can make out a glacier in the upper left portion of the first set with a nice moraine.

Must be way up in the Arctic?

salida

Website
ecampus.bentley.edu
Yes, its in Baffin Island, in Pangnirtung Pass...

Here is a map of the area for reference to pang pass...

nunavut.jpg

loafer89

Thanks for the information. I have an early attempt at a panorama circa 1993. This is Langjokull glacier in Iceland (third largest in the country)

You can just make out the edge of the glacier, as it occupies the full length of the picture about halfway down the middle:

Langjokull.jpg

awf170

eatskisleep said:
awf170-The second picture is great. Is that near where you live? Looks like a pretty chill place. :)

Its from the top of my driveway, pretty ghetto... notice the graffiti on the truck :lol:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
goldsbar said:
Most people, when standing at the top of a 30* hill, would think it's very steep. Draw a 30* on some paper. Doesn't look very steep. I think that's half the problem. What your eyes tell you is steep isn't always really that steep.

This especially holds for those mountain biking shots. I've been an avid cyclist for years. Trails that seem technical to most people - I'm not talking the extreme stuff w/ 10 foot drops, etc. - are almost never very difficult to walk up. It just feels a lot different when you're behind the handle bars.

Speed and traction play into this concept quite a bit as well... on the bike I mean.

eatskisleep

awf170 said:
eatskisleep said:
awf170-The second picture is great. Is that near where you live? Looks like a pretty chill place. :)

Its from the top of my driveway, pretty ghetto... notice the graffiti on the truck :lol:
Haha that is great.
Lynn Lynn the city of Sin.

awf170

eatskisleep said:
awf170 said:
eatskisleep said:

Haha that is great.

just noticed that those pics were from exactly one year from tommorow. Why cant that happen again this year... 3 ft of snow and 4 days of school off.

skibum1321

eatskisleep said:
awf170 said:
eatskisleep said:

Haha that is great.
You never come out the way you went in

Greg

Staff member
This thread has some gret tips so I figured I'd bump it up. I'm heading out this season with my new Canon A700 so I hope to take a lot of pics!

BeanoNYC

I just picked up a Casio Exilim card S600 6.0 mp. I haven't had a chance to use it in the snow yet, but I like the pics I've taken with it so far. The portability of this camera is something else. It's a bit bigger than a credit card. I bought it Orange so I can find it if dropped in the snow.

awf170

This thread has some gret tips so I figured I'd bump it up. I'm heading out this season with my new Canon A700 so I hope to take a lot of pics!

I can't remember what you said before but...
get a fast memory card, this camera will be useless to you without it. Get something like an SD ultra II and get atleast 1 gb. The 1 GB SD ultra II is $60 at Costco, awesome deal, that is what I got, go get it now. Also, have you fiddled around with Aperture Priority, and Shutter Speed Priority, so much fun. I suck too much for manual though...

sledhaulingmedic

I've found the best way to capure the pitch is to shoot across the fall line. Here's a view up the Kenebago T:

kenebago.jpg

Doesn't look like much, eh?

Likewise, looking down the Chute at Blue HIlls (granted, this part isn't that steep):

Chute.jpg

Now here's a shot taken across the fall line on Hillman's:

HH97.jpg

SnowRider

i prefer not to use flash in an outdoor setting if possible. Sometimes it "flares" the snow or in other words makes it blinding white. I would take a dark pic and brighten it on photo shop. Im only 13 but i love takin pics and hope to become a photogrpher for TWS when i get older. Maybe just a far fetched dream but hey, im young and let me make up my little fantasies as long as possible! Next year i would like to get more into the scenery picture takin. (trails, mountains) A way to make the trail look steeper is set the camera on the trail facing up. It also is a intresting shot. The only problem i have takin pics is that my friends dont like waitin for me to get my camera out out, but recently they have been very intrested in getting a good shot...mostly for myspace. Check out my gallery.

SnowRider