• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Holders

dlague

We bit the bullet and bought the season passes to Cannon. As much as I professed not doing that because I like variety and go where the deals take me, I felt it was time to try. Three of our four boys will be out of the house next winter, so affordability is high! Being a NH Veteran, the deal at Cannon can not be any sweeter, $274 with no black outs. My son since he is 12 falls in the NH Junior category and his pass is only $336 which is also really good. The only real costly pass was my wife at $599 which is OK since when dollar cost averaged is about $400 per person which results in 20 visits = $20 per visit.

This brings me back to the variety part. I am pretty sure that after 20 times at a single ski area we will have had enough (maybe wrong). So, we will still consider the Vermont Ski 3 Pass as well as the Fox44 card and will do The Ride and Ski Card tour. I am already working on the spreadsheet for next season. Planning starts now! However, preceding the choices above I have one question.

I know Sugarbush did a promo last year called "You show us yours, we will show you ours". It was a single weekend. I recall seeing other spring skiing deals where you could ski a ski area no mater where your season pass was from (another one time event).

Do you know which ski areas have good discounts for people that have season passes to another mountain?

drjeff

The one thing that I've personally found is that even though you might think you'll get bored skiing the same area over and over and over with a season pass, you often find so much more variability at that same area because of having more time to explore more and more of the area as well as getting to experience it in so many different conditions. Let alone that when you start recognizing the same faces and jackets and start making a new group of friends by going back to the same place over and over, it ads an entirely new dimension to the overall ski experience

JimG.

Staff member
I don't worry about deals that much; that's just me, you'll never see a post from me in the skiing on the cheap threads.

First, congrats on seasonpassholderhood! A wise choice for you and yours. I like variety too. I keep buying season passes because that's the way to get 50 days in. Now, on some of those marginal days when you bag it, you will be more motivated to go anyway to lower your per visit cost.

I ski roughly 30-35 days at Hunter and then 15-20 days elsewhere. I do the school ski club thing with my 12 year old and get in alot of variety that way and it's cheap ($35 tix) as a bonus. At $20 per day at Hunter (about my daily average cost) I have plenty to afford 2-3 day trips elsewhere when I get bored.

JimG.

Staff member
The one thing that I've personally found is that even though you might think you'll get bored skiing the same area over and over and over with a season pass, you often find so much more variability at that same area because of having more time to explore more and more of the area as well as getting to experience it in so many different conditions. Let alone that when you start recognizing the same faces and jackets and start making a new group of friends by going back to the same place over and over, it ads an entirely new dimension to the overall ski experience

+1 on this too.

Mariovntr

The resorts that are part of the "Mountains of Distinction" program have outstanding deals at the partner mountains. Lift tickets are 50% Sunday through Friday and $15 off Saturdays. Many of the mountains also give 50% off Saturday, but not all of them. A few of the big mountains part of this program include Jay Peak and Okemo. I love the program... it gets me to many other ski areas throughout the season.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lots of places run deals for "other" passholders after President's Week.

And congratulations and welcome to the dark side. You WILL ski more often and in conditions that may not be as good and you will become a better skier. Cannon is a good value. And, as said, you get a whole different appreciation for a place when you ski there most often.

SIKSKIER

Welcome to the Cannon club.I jumped in to buy a Cannon pass over 40 years ago and haven't missed a year since!
With the price your averaging,you can definately justify going to sample other mts.I doubt you'll find a better value to thrill ratio though.Enjoy.

dlague

Lots of places run deals for "other" passholders after President's Week.

And congratulations and welcome to the dark side. You WILL ski more often and in conditions that may not be as good and you will become a better skier. Cannon is a good value. And, as said, you get a whole different appreciation for a place when you ski there most often.

Skiing on bad days was never an issue. But with it being about an hour away - we can hit it up for a couple of hours if we want! Considering the cost, we will still be able to hit other resorts.

I am really looking forward to skiing Tuckerbrook!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, you will have much more opportunity to explore Cannon and to really enjoy what it has to offer. I do find checking out places to be fun, but I sometimes feel as if I miss out because it is so unfamiliar and if I don't do my homework I miss out on good stuff. I like returning to my favorite spots--lately at Alta, Snowbird, and Deer Valley. I find that I desire to return to familiar ground instead of venturing off into new territory. Just me I guess.

steamboat1

But with it being about an hour away - we can hit it up for a couple of hours if we want!

Wish I was only an hour away from my home hill, I'd definitely ski a lot more. For me it's more like 5 hours, often longer. I've been a season pass holder to the same area for what must be close to 15 years. I've yet to grow tired of it although my area does offer more variety than most ski areas. An added bonus is I can ski at another area right next door to change it up a little. I certainly do miss the old days when the same pass was good at like 8 eastern ski areas at 1/2 the price that the pass costs today. I ski around a little for variety but not as much as I used to. That's mainly due to the fact that I'm the only skier left in my family & it doesn't make much sense to travel off to distant lands by myself. Hopefully my daughter gets back into skiing. She did ski 3 days this year after not skiing for 6 years because she was away at school. If you use your pass enough you will definitely see the cost for skiing per day go down considerably. This year the cost per day with my pass was $13.35 & that's not the best I've ever done with the pass.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I like returning to my favorite spots--lately at Alta, Snowbird, and Deer Valley. I find that I desire to return to familiar ground instead of venturing off into new territory. Just me I guess.

This could probably be an entire thread by itself, but I'm the exact opposite. Even within the same day, I'm really hesitant to repeat a trail unless I've done all the other open (and in some cases closed) trails first.

AdironRider

For me personally, I find I enjoy a mountain the most once I have like 40-50 days under my belt at the place. You know all the rollovers, know the layout so you can explore the more secret areas, you don't get stuck in flat spots, etc. You can go warp speed and know whats coming up, etc. I actually tend to get frustrated the first time I try out a new place because I have to gape around a bit till I get the lay of the land.

dlague

I never knew that until I read it in another thread I started when initially considering a season pass!

Thanks to xwhaler who brought it up!

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

boston_e

Skiing on bad days was never an issue. But with it being about an hour away - we can hit it up for a couple of hours if we want! Considering the cost, we will still be able to hit other resorts.
!

this to me is one of the best things about having a pass... The days where you only have a couple of hours and would otherwise not want to buy a ticket.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Congrats dlague---awesome value for an awesome mtn. I think you guys will have a great time there next season.
Look fwd to sharing some turns up there with you.

4aprice

Lots of Cannonistas here. I too will probably be getting up there more often in the coming years as my son will be entering his freshman year at Plymouth State University in the fall. I will probably get him the 4 mountain pass w/Waterville, Bretton and Cranmore but expect that he would spend 95+% of his time at Cannon. (he can come spend a day or 2 with his mom, who enjoys the BW groomers & WV is closest to campus) Hopefully will run into some AZers for runs and drinks.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

abc

I do find checking out places to be fun, but I sometimes feel as if I miss out because it is so unfamiliar and if I don't do my homework I miss out on good stuff.
+1

I only go "exploring" mountains I've never been when conditions are "meh", say, hasn't snowed for a while and mostly just groomers. The unfamiliar mountain actually adds some freshness to an otherwise same-old, same-old day.

On a day with expectation of good snow? I'm heading back to familiar territory! Who wants to waste precious powder runs getting stuck on the flat, or in long liftline because one is unfamiliar with the layout?

abc

Back to the OP's question on mountain that gives blanket discount to season pass holders...

Last year was my first year having a season pass. I found 3 mountains that gives blanket discount no question asked:

1) Sugarbush - $50, Monday-Friday only.

2) Jay peak + Burke - $55, any day

I only started looking past President's Day. So these might only be for spring, I don't know.