• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Season Pass Options/Considerations

boston_e

Wrong, if you're in a car with a sick person with the windows closed you are screwed unless you have full medical PPE. With the windows open likely fine with no mask.

Also wrong about touching "germs." Not really how respiratory viruses spread. Then add in the heat of a closed car in the summer and the virus is dead in minutes.

Masks don’t protect the wearer so much as protect others from the wearer.

BenedictGomez

I think that is being very optimistic as to timing.

I actually think my Christmas / New Year's prediction is somewhat conservative depending up on how you look at it, but it was my original claim in that COVID19 thread from a few months back so I'll stick with it. Early immune response data looks fantastic, and you're going to see an unprecedented hyperspace jump to Phase III followed by a literally unprecedented expedited FDA review period, which will be even shorter than a normal 6 month expedited FDA review. The number of shots on goal is unprecedented in terms of vaccine candidates currently in development i > 150, the funding is unprecedented, the manufacturing ramp-up is going to be big-time unprecedented, and the only thing I can think to compare this to from a healthcare research perspective is the way massive advancements took place during WWII when everyone on the planet was dedicated to the same goal (war technology). The media are still trying to be as negative as possible & poisoning people's minds as much as they can saying getting a vaccine soon is "unrealistic" (as if they have any ******* clue), but believe me, someone's (likely multiple "someone's") got this.

Snowbird ski camp is toast even without the Pandemic. You've heard the reasons why it is in the toilet from me--good economy, shit pay starting two seasons ago that drove their talent away, and unmotivated staff.

When I was there summer 2018 for Octoberfest (good time), I never saw a more unhappy staff than that of Snowbird. There were at least 3 times employees volunteered to us completely unsolicited that it sucks working there. Now that I think of it is was really bizarre, cant say that's ever happened to me before. Usually you need to prod someone, "so what's it like working here" to get that kind of info, but people were just bitching about the place out-in-the-open like it was their job (no pun intended). It was almost like it was planned. Stuff that should have been open wasnt, restaurants closed WAY early, it really stunk; I dont think I'll ever stay there again.

when returning home, I hand sanitize before touching my car, but wait until I get home to wash my hands before I remove my mask.

There is no longer any reason to do the former, and there was never any reason to do the latter.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Wearing a mask doesn't help you (unless it's an N-95), It helps those around you, so that if you sneeze/cough, the germs don't travel as far.

Masks don’t protect the wearer so much as protect others from the wearer.

Everyone knows this, right? I mean we hear it so many times on TV virtually every day that even the kid at the local deli can roll it off his lips.

Well put me down for a big bet that this will be another instance of many thus far related to COVID19 in which the "experts" will be wrong, because for the life of me it makes absolutely no sense from either a practical standpoint, a viral loading standpoint, or a physics standpoint.

Fun fact? There is no definitive study that can be pointed to to 100% verify this "masks dont protect the wearer" claim, merely anecdotal evidence & a handful some either relatively low-powered, or not definitively conclusive studies. When I look at all these Asian nations doing so well with COVID19 despite completely disparate healthcare reactions (Japan clinched it for me), I became a big believer in masks early on. It's the one cultural thing they do, they ALL wear masks in public, even commonly during flu seasons.

But yeah, people wearing masks in their car, riding their bikes, or going on hikes in a state park where 48 feet will be the closest they come to another human being is dumb (and annoying, LOL).

p_levert

Relative to mask wearing when it really doesn't make sense, I think you guys are missing one other explanation. Personally, I never put my mask on until I go into the store. And, actually, I frequently forget and then have to run back to the car. But there are people that just have the attitude that you should put your mask on when you leave the house and take it off when you get home. If you do this a lot, you get used to the mask and it's not a big deal.

Some might still say that this is stupid, and it more or less is. OTOH, look at the Asian countries that have mask-wearers all over the place. On a country-wide scale, these habits do seem to combat the spread of CV19. Just saying...

BenedictGomez

We have our first statistically significant study showing a drug with a lifesaving effect on the worst-faring COVID19 patients out today, a 35% and a 20% benefit respectively on patients on vents & supplemental O2. So there's another significant positive folks. Better yet it's a cheap generic drug. It will immediately become standard-of-care in the sickest patients. Things are looking up.

drjeff

Everyone knows this, right? I mean we hear it so many times on TV virtually every day that even the kid at the local deli can roll it off his lips.

Well put me down for a big bet that this will be another instance of many thus far related to COVID19 in which the "experts" will be wrong, because for the life of me it makes absolutely no sense from either a practical standpoint, a viral loading standpoint, or a physics standpoint.

Fun fact? There is no definitive study that can be pointed to to 100% verify this "masks dont protect the wearer" claim, merely anecdotal evidence & a handful some either relatively low-powered, or not definitively conclusive studies. When I look at all these Asian nations doing so well with COVID19 despite completely disparate healthcare reactions (Japan clinched it for me), I became a big believer in masks early on. It's the one cultural thing they do, they ALL wear masks in public, even commonly during flu seasons.

But yeah, people wearing masks in their car, riding their bikes, or going on hikes in a state park where 48 feet will be the closest they come to another human being is dumb (and annoying, LOL).

Agree!

And also put me strongly in the category of not believing the "mask don't protect the wearer" mantra. If that was actually the case, and I knew I was healthy, why would I have had to wear a mask, while working on my patients, in a aerosol environment, for closing in on 30 years now? I wear a mask at work to primarily protect myself from any airborne communicable diseases that my patients may have, and if I happen to have some type of airborne communicable disease, the mask protecting my patients from what I have is a secondary effect

Masks let people both breathe in and breathe out. The filtration effect happens regardless of which way the air flows through the material the mask is made out of. Some type of masks are just much more efficient at particle filtration than others

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

boston_e

Agree!

And also put me strongly in the category of not believing the "mask don't protect the wearer" mantra. If that was actually the case, and I knew I was healthy, why would I have had to wear a mask, while working on my patients, in a aerosol environment, for closing in on 30 years now? I wear a mask at work to primarily protect myself from any airborne communicable diseases that my patients may have, and if I happen to have some type of airborne communicable disease, the mask protecting my patients from what I have is a secondary effect

Masks let people both breathe in and breathe out. The filtration effect happens regardless of which way the air flows through the material the mask is made out of. Some type of masks are just much more efficient at particle filtration than others

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449

Talking about cloth masks only here... neck gaiters pulled up etc (not medial or N95 etc). I'm not sure anyone is saying that these masks provide no protection at all to the wearer, but that current information we are being told is that the primary purpose of a simple cloth face covering is to protect others if you are unknowingly infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Even the article you link mentioned "Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the coronavirus by people who have COVID-19 but don't realize it."

I think we are on the same side here, so not looking for a debate, just trying to clarify what I meant in my statement earlier.

drjeff

Talking about cloth masks only here... neck gaiters pulled up etc (not medial or N95 etc). I'm not sure anyone is saying that these masks provide no protection at all to the wearer, but that current information we are being told is that the primary purpose of a simple cloth face covering is to protect others if you are unknowingly infected.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.html

Even the article you link mentioned "Asking everyone to wear cloth masks can help reduce the spread of the coronavirus by people who have COVID-19 but don't realize it."

I think we are on the same side here, so not looking for a debate, just trying to clarify what I meant in my statement earlier.

Got it. And agree that cloth masks, short of maybe stopping some large(r) particles of phlegm during a cough and containing some of the particles during a sneeze, aren't doing very much, (even before you get into how many people appear to be wearing them ;) ), other than serve as a mental reminder to try and keep some social distancing going while around others.

Personally my hunch is that when the push for everyone to wear masks initially started, the CDC and other advisory groups, didn't fully grasp the actual shortage of "medical grade" PPE available, especially for front line healthcare providers, and realizing that then saying that masks weren't needed (as a way to try and preserve some of the PPE supply) they pivoted to the cloth mask option as the "least worst" option

mikec142

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Ikon Pass. Although I doubt it, I figure I'll ask...Are there any promo codes out there for a discount?

JimG.

Staff member
I don't like wearing the mask but always do so when inside like when shopping. I've also learned I like wearing a mask when mowing my yard. I don't have to take an allergy pill and unplug my nose from all the allergens and dust that gets kicked up.

Back to season passes, the more I look at the choices and the more I'm seeing that an Epic pass may be my best option. I'm concerned the ORDA hills may have tight snowmaking budgets this coming season and having Hunter as my choice in NY is probably essential. Assuming there is no more lockdown activity I also like the other choices in New England especially having Wildcat on my pass. And the NE value pass is cheap especially with the $75 voucher they gave me from last season.

Cobbold

Vail/epic gives credits for tickets bought during the season for a season pass, not sure if ikon does but you could call/ email them

Cobbold

I don't like wearing the mask but always do so when inside like when shopping. I've also learned I like wearing a mask when mowing my yard. I don't have to take an allergy pill and unplug my nose from all the allergens and dust that gets kicked up.

Back to season passes, the more I look at the choices and the more I'm seeing that an Epic pass may be my best option. I'm concerned the ORDA hills may have tight snowmaking budgets this coming season and having Hunter as my choice in NY is probably essential. Assuming there is no more lockdown activity I also like the other choices in New England especially having Wildcat on my pass. And the NE value pass is cheap especially with the $75 voucher they gave me from last season.

Maybe ORDA will join the Indy pass and you have 6 days at the three locations. I think I am doing the local epic pass with the Indy pass, was thinking before all this virus stuff to do full epic, but unsure how airplane travel will be. Never thought ORDA would skimp on snow making, so many variables to analyze. Wonder if this lead to New York State to privatize ORDA, New York State will have revenue issues for years to come, nyc I am worried is about to become the next Detroit economically.

I also have an Epic $75 credit being offered due to purchasing a one day lift tix for my son last year when we skied together at Mt Snow. Does anyone know if I can stack that $75 credit with my 20% credit from my Epic Local Pass last year?

I know I'm now getting greedy, but hey, it never hurts to ask. I've spent mucho bucks skiing over the years (no regrets), but if I can save some money on this upcoming, unprecedented season I'm all for it.

Cobbold

I also have an Epic $75 credit being offered due to purchasing a one day lift tix for my son last year when we skied together at Mt Snow. Does anyone know if I can stack that $75 credit with my 20% credit from my Epic Local Pass last year?

I know I'm now getting greedy, but hey, it never hurts to ask. I've spent mucho bucks skiing over the years (no regrets), but if I can save some money on this upcoming, unprecedented season I'm all for it.

You should contact them, I have the same issue, but I am under the impression no, one credit only per pass

jimmywilson69

that's how I interpret it. I bought my son tickets via buddy pass while in CO last January and they are basically crediting him $120 towards a new pass.

BenedictGomez

Wonder if this lead to New York State to privatize ORDA, New York State will have revenue issues for years to come, nyc I am worried is about to become the next Detroit economically.

Doubt it; government rarely relinquishes any power, even if it's something as silly as running a ski hill. That said, Whiteface could be the most improved ski resort in the history of east coast skiing if it was in private, moneyed hands. What a dream that would be.

Smellytele

I thought in the email my wife got that the discount ~$105 can only be used for a pass for her not anyone else. So you couldn’t use his for you.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I do plan to call at some point to see what they will offer, but understand I may not be able to stack.

BTW the day ticket that I bought I did buy in my name as it was only a single ticket. I redeemed the tix at the window and he just put it on his jacket so they have no way of knowing it was for someone else.

Zermatt

I pulled the trigger last night and bought our Ikon Passes. I consider it a hedge on normalcy.

Worst case...the money is gone and the pass companies are bankrupt..maybe I get something back from AMEX. A little better is we don't ski and they are able to honor the unused value for next season.

Best case...everything is perfectly normal and the ski hills are empty because nobody bought passes.