• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shawnee Peak Maine acquired by Boyne

machski

It's a very cool mid sized mountain. Skis much bigger than it's stats as their vertical is really consistent with minimal run out. Good snowmaking and lots of nice character trails too. Just doesn't get a ton of snow due to location and elevation.

I think Boyne will do a great job there. Selfishly I wish they stayed independent and found their way onto the Indy Pass. Used to be able to find day ticket deals there occasionally, but probably not anymore.
I think deals will still be available for Pleasant. Boyne is keeping them off the Ikon and NE passes, so any revenue draw from those mass products is non existent (OK, NEP golds and up get 3 free days then 50% off and Silver NEPs get 50% off). They will have to keep some other type of revenue boost in place, that should mean lift ticket deals

Edd

What is Boyne’s thinking with Shawnee? If they’re not putting it on the main pass, why buy the mountain? I’m unable to think of a similar situation with multi-mountain companies.

bigbob

What is Boyne’s thinking with Shawnee? If they’re not putting it on the main pass, why buy the mountain? I’m unable to think of a similar situation with multi-mountain companies.
It must make money the way it is currently run. The pass costs more money that the New England Pass. Give them a year or two to of experience with this area, the pass situation may be adjusted.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think they've always been able to charge a premium due to location and captive audience. Close enough to Portland for afterwork turns. Only good sized place like it for that near Portland really.

machski

Probably looking for their first foray into a feeder area? I guess you might refer to Boyne or Highlands themselves as feeders to Big Sky but I don't given the money and infrastructure both MI resorts have and are getting (sounds like Highlands may be getting an OctoChair too next year).

I think Boyne knew what Pleasant has when they bought it and respected the infrastructure, not necessarily the terrain, could not handle a huge jump in pass traffic. I believe they will advance the facilities over the next several seasons and slowly integrate Pleasant onto their pass structure. First unlimited will likely be just for NEP Platinum level and then slowly integrate more as the improve and expand facilities, etc. But I do believe they bought it to be more of a standalone feeder.

2Planker

Don't knock it.

It's a pretty good Mt w/ a HUGE night skiing crowd.
Way more nighttime activity there than SR which is another 45-60mins from Portland.
WAY more :)

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably looking for their first foray into a feeder area? I guess you might refer to Boyne or Highlands themselves as feeders to Big Sky but I don't given the money and infrastructure both MI resorts have and are getting (sounds like Highlands may be getting an OctoChair too next year).

I think Boyne knew what Pleasant has when they bought it and respected the infrastructure, not necessarily the terrain, could not handle a huge jump in pass traffic. I believe they will advance the facilities over the next several seasons and slowly integrate Pleasant onto their pass structure. First unlimited will likely be just for NEP Platinum level and then slowly integrate more as the improve and expand facilities, etc. But I do believe they bought it to be more of a standalone feeder.

I think first and foremost they need to increase parking. I believe that's their greatest limiting factor.

As for expanded terrain and uphill capacity, the old older discussed for several years adding a chair and some trails down the west side. Maybe that happens eventually.

machski

I think first and foremost they need to increase parking. I believe that's their greatest limiting factor.

As for expanded terrain and uphill capacity, the old older discussed for several years adding a chair and some trails down the west side. Maybe that happens eventually.
Agree, parking and from what I have been told, amount of restrooms and lodge space are the big limiters currently. Uphill capacity is the next issue, only 2 triples to the top at present doesn't offer a lot of capacity. But trails off of the same seem adequate to accomodate added traffic. I know Boyne got access to the terrain that is considered in the West side expansion with this purchase, but I would imagine that is quite a ways down the road if it happens.

As a side note, Peter from LiftBlog posted in the Sugarloaf Today forum that he was asked to take down the Jordan quad to Pleasant as that project is not yet confirmed. So that may in fact still happen, but not guarenteed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they started opening up glades over on the west side sooner than later. At least that’s the rumbling I am hearing. Side country is big right now. Eventually a lift and houses

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wouldn’t be surprised if they started opening up glades over on the west side sooner than later. At least that’s the rumbling I am hearing. Side country is big right now. Eventually a lift and houses

They could fairly easily as some of it has already become skiable over the years. There are likely many locals that would like to see that area left alone from future development for that reason. ;)

2Planker

As a side note, Peter from LiftBlog posted in the Sugarloaf Today forum that he was asked to take down the Jordan quad to Pleasant as that project is not yet confirmed. So that may in fact still happen, but not guarenteed.
Hmmm...
I'm seeing Ralph L. tonite, so I'll ask what's up.

Tin Woodsman

I have been seeing lift parts going south on rt 5 all day so rode over to pleasant Mt tonight and there is a lot of towers, shive trains and stuff where they stored the triple parts a few years ago. Short turn around on truck trips so must be coming from Sr.
Sounds like the rumors of SR changing their approach with Jordan Express is true after all. Trying to refurb that into the new Barker was always a stupid idea (need for new machine/more capacity should have been obvious from the start), so I'm glad to see they are finding a higher/better use for this machine in the Boyne portfolio.

2Planker

Sounds like the rumors of SR changing their approach with Jordan Express is true after all. Trying to refurb that into the new Barker was always a stupid idea (need for new machine/more capacity should have been obvious from the start), so I'm glad to see they are finding a higher/better use for this machine in the Boyne portfolio.
The move Jordan to Barker plan was scrapped in May/June when they realized that the Jordan quad would better serve the west side of Shawnee, now aka Pleasant Mt

Tin Woodsman

The move Jordan to Barker plan was scrapped in May/June when they realized that the Jordan quad would better serve the west side of Shawnee, now aka Pleasant Mt

Right - it was a dumb plan even before the Pleasant Mt acquisition. I will never understand why an 8 pack is necessary to facilitate access to terrain on the edge of the resort, most of which may never get developed, while the plan to replace what is arguably the most central/important lift in the system was a re-furbed quad. That's just dumb irrespective of the Pleasant Mt situation.

Mainer

Does anybody know what time they open in the morning this year? Last year was 10, the year before that was 11. The late opening makes it hard to get some turns in before work. Hoping for boyne to make it 9

bigbob

Right - it was a dumb plan even before the Pleasant Mt acquisition. I will never understand why an 8 pack is necessary to facilitate access to terrain on the edge of the resort, most of which may never get developed, while the plan to replace what is arguably the most central/important lift in the system was a re-furbed quad. That's just dumb irrespective of the Pleasant Mt situation.
The weight of the 8 pack may be neccesary to achieve the primary goal of the chair running during windy days.

Newpylong

Weight, weight, and nothing but weight.

Jordan will also grow in acreage long term.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Also an 8 on Barker with it's dozens of intersections would be HORRIBLE. Jordan is a fantastic pod. Yes it'll pack the trails over there a bit tighter but I'd take that over more people coming around blind corners.