• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Cars

AdironRider

Edmunds.com is of no use to me when Im pulling out my girls Forrester at 2am, in Jackson WY, ... in January. And just because the interior volume is more, doesnt mean its usable. Sure maybe if you were filling it with water you could get more, but putting real world boxes, bags, boards, boots and whathave you in there is a different story. I can fit more in the Jeep, its just how it is. Could be the stock tires that were on it true, but thats just more money to invest in an already more expensive to own car as Ive pointed out. I paid way less for it than my girl paid for her Forrester, it hasnt broken down on me, while hers has been in the shop 4 times for a check engine light that they cant seem to find the source for, and can do more in more gnarly terrain than hers can. Sure these are individual comparisons between cars, but over my 2+ years of Jeep ownership and her 4 years with the Forrester, my Jeep has been cheaper to own and run.

This isnt saying the Forrester is a bad car. Its a question of what you use it for. The Forrester is great if you just need to get to the hill and back. Its a great one for what it is, but for a true die hard ski car in the mtns, my Jeep just does everything better (tackles ruff roads, fits more gear, better in the real deep snow, tows my fishing boat, more comfortable for passengers in the back). Hers is a stick though, which is pretty kick ass.

campgottagopee

Edmunds.com is of no use to me when Im pulling out my girls Forrester at 2am, in Jackson WY, ... in January. And just because the interior volume is more, doesnt mean its usable. Sure maybe if you were filling it with water you could get more, but putting real world boxes, bags, boards, boots and whathave you in there is a different story. I can fit more in the Jeep, its just how it is. Could be the stock tires that were on it true, but thats just more money to invest in an already more expensive to own car as Ive pointed out. I paid way less for it than my girl paid for her Forrester, it hasnt broken down on me, while hers has been in the shop 4 times for a check engine light that they cant seem to find the source for, and can do more in more gnarly terrain than hers can. Sure these are individual comparisons between cars, but over my 2+ years of Jeep ownership and her 4 years with the Forrester, my Jeep has been cheaper to own and run.

This isnt saying the Forrester is a bad car. Its a question of what you use it for. The Forrester is great if you just need to get to the hill and back. Its a great one for what it is, but for a true die hard ski car in the mtns, my Jeep just does everything better (tackles ruff roads, fits more gear, better in the real deep snow, tows my fishing boat, more comfortable for passengers in the back). Hers is a stick though, which is pretty kick ass.

For the model years you are talking about, you are correct, but I was comparing 09 to 09----Forrester has more ground clearance, more cargo space, and over all cheaper to run. I have drivin side by side comparrisons that have shown me the off road capabilities of these vehicle first hand. Jeeps are cool ifin' that's your thing---only in a jeep, or something like that:grin:

jimskime

I'm on my second Subaru Forester, 26mpg, goes anywhere. I can put two kayaks and 3 bikes and go camping for a couple of weeks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
1) They're big, comfy, and roomy.

2) They're rediculously cheap right now. Both cars are reliable to begin with, so Ill consider that a push.

3) There is something to be said for utility.

If we all thought the same, there would be about six models of vehicles out there.
1) I don't need big, even with my family of five. A Toyota Avalon worked fine for 10 years. My first car was a subaru, 1980 wagon. I needed more cabin space, but never needed SUV-size.
2) Pay me now or pay me later. My Avalon is 13 years old, gets 24mpg, has 215K miles and has taken my family on more ski vacations than you can imagine. We still have it, it's now driven by my 16 and 19YO's. I've NEVER done anything major to it. Brakes, exhaust, tires, timing belt. Domestics never meet the reliability of Jap cars. Tell me about your 215K SUV.
3) I have no need for utility If I need a truck, I'll rent it from U-haul. Like once every two years. I have nothing to tow - I'll rent a boat if I need it, it's simply cheaper than owning and towing it.
a) I'd like to do my part to minimize my impact on the atmosphere and fossil fuels.
b) Full disclosure: I now own an Audi for myself, I'm getting 24mpg. I've been in the workforce for three decades, I'm spoiling myself before I go senile.:razz:
c) For me , it's not about price and cost, it's about carbon footprint, balanced against my irrational passion for mountain sports.

I respect your choice and your prerogative, I just can't embrace it for myself. That's why I love the USA - liberty for all.
Enjoy - life is too short.
:spin:

Geoff

If we all thought the same, there would be about six models of vehicles out there.
1) I don't need big, even with my family of five. A Toyota Avalon worked fine for 10 years. My first car was a subaru, 1980 wagon. I needed more cabin space, but never needed SUV-size.
2) Pay me now or pay me later. My Avalon is 13 years old, gets 24mpg, has 215K miles and has taken my family on more ski vacations than you can imagine. We still have it, it's now driven by my 16 and 19YO's. I've NEVER done anything major to it. Brakes, exhaust, tires, timing belt. Domestics never meet the reliability of Jap cars. Tell me about your 215K SUV.
3) I have no need for utility If I need a truck, I'll rent it from U-haul. Like once every two years. I have nothing to tow - I'll rent a boat if I need it, it's simply cheaper than owning and towing it.
a) I'd like to do my part to minimize my impact on the atmosphere and fossil fuels.
b) Full disclosure: I now own an Audi for myself, I'm getting 24mpg. I've been in the workforce for three decades, I'm spoiling myself before I go senile.:razz:
c) For me , it's not about price and cost, it's about carbon footprint, balanced against my irrational passion for mountain sports.

I respect your choice and your prerogative, I just can't embrace it for myself. That's why I love the USA - liberty for all.
Enjoy - life is too short.
:spin:

If I needed a back seat, I'd take a hard look at an Avalon. Sure, it's completely uncool and has replaced the Crown Vic as the geriatric car of choice but it's bomb-proof and a comfortable ride. If you put a receiver hitch on it, you can also pull around a utility trailer and mount a bike rack. It's really too bad they never made it as a station wagon.

My Grandma has a Toyota Avalon..she no longer drives but has a driver and I help out from time to time and it's the perfect driving miss Daisy car..the backseat is huge..she gets drivin around sipping Pinot Grigio..82 year olds don't care about open container laws..lol.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My 'ski' car is well now the gf's as I drive a company car, but an 07 Hyundai Sonata. Not quite as big as an Avalon, more a Camry size, but it gets 28 mpg on the highway with a V6. So far, two years ownership, 50K miles on it, zero maintenance issues. It did okay last winter with just all season tires on it. I will be putting snows on it for this winter and I'm sure I'll get anywhere just fine unless there's over 8 inches of snow on the ground. If I had a family, a ski rack or roof box would do the trick. The trunk on it is HUGE, bigger than that in my father's Infinity M35. The back seat also has plenty of room for someone six three. It's no rocket ship, but it has a fair amount of balls and is fun to drive. Throw in the 10 year 100K warranty and it's a heckuva value.

All my life growing up, my father had a Honda Accord. We would go skiing every weekend, which was always a two to three and a half hour ride from our home in central mass. There would be two adults and two kids in the car. Honestly, unless you're carrying more than four passengers including the driver, I really don't see the need in having anything bigger than a mid-size sedan. Put some snows on it and it's a plenty good enough ski car. I never recall once getting stuck on the way to the mountain.

4WD and AWD is nice, but it really isn't necessary.

gmcunni

4WD and AWD is nice, but it really isn't necessary.

+1. i drove a saab 93 for 8 years. with good snow tires there was nothing that car couldn't get through. I'd drive back roads home from work (30 miles) in snow storms, up and down hills, and pass SUVs stuck on the side of the road.

part of it is driving skill (i'm an excellent driver!) but having a good tires really does help.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
My Grandma has a Toyota Avalon..she no longer drives but has a driver and I help out from time to time and it's the perfect driving miss Daisy car..the backseat is huge..she gets drivin around sipping Pinot Grigio..82 year olds don't care about open container laws..lol.

I SERIOUSLY considered an Avalon as a follow on car. They let me take it skiing for a day, it was nice, but a bit too boring. I traded reliability for a little fun and uniqueness. (and I'm not a gearhead either) Ah, such is a midlife crisis.... :flag:

I really wish the auto manufacturers would do a better job of accommodating skis inside the cabin (i.e., pass through).

deadheadskier

Staff member
I SERIOUSLY considered an Avalon as a follow on car. They let me take it skiing for a day, it was nice, but a bit too boring. I traded reliability for a little fun and uniqueness. (and I'm not a gearhead either) Ah, such is a midlife crisis.... :flag:

I really wish the auto manufacturers would do a better job of accommodating skis inside the cabin (i.e., pass through).

That really is a great feature in most European cars, I miss that from the Audi I had prior to the Hyundai. For my purposes, the 60-40 folding seat works, but if I was frequently driving with 4 people, a rack or roof box would be needed. Actually even with pass through, you'd need that for four skiers. Only had pass through once and it was struggle to get three sets of skis through, don't think it would work for four.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That really is a great feature in most European cars, I miss that from the Audi I had prior to the Hyundai. For my purposes, the 60-40 folding seat works, but if I was frequently driving with 4 people, a rack or roof box would be needed. Actually even with pass through, you'd need that for four skiers. Only had pass through once and it was struggle to get three sets of skis through, don't think it would work for four.

true true, I wasn't thinking about that, i was thinking about seating 4 and still having a pass through. I compromised with the split seat.

I often bring two pair of skis for myself, so things just got more complicated. I'd rather not have a rack/box anyway. Then again, the older I get, the uglier I get, the more spontaneous I get, the less likely it is I'd have a bunch. When the going gets tough, I borrow my wife's minivan, we brought five people boarding and skiing, and boat load of equipment. When the whole family goes skiing, we take the van. It's kind of a fair compromise. Me with smaller vehicle for my powder days, the larger van is used 6 days of school activities loaded with kids. No wasted space in our cars.

Since my daughter stopped playing hockey it got easier to get the van. I could never bring more than 2 hockey players home in the Avalon. The bags are as big as the kids. :grin:

I don't recall the Avalon having any accommodation for things of length. I don't recall a fold down or a pass through, but it could be the onset of senility....

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
.....well, I'll support my kids someday in a number of endeavors, but not hockey. Screw getting up at 5AM on a Saturday for an hour of ice time and carting around smelly hockey bags :lol: It's imperative that I get them on the snow and addicted prior to even knowing what hockey is :lol:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
.....well, I'll support my kids someday in a number of endeavors, but not hockey. Screw getting up at 5AM on a Saturday for an hour of ice time and carting around smelly hockey bags :lol: It's imperative that I get them on the snow and addicted prior to even knowing what hockey is :lol:

You went to the wrong school! My daughter's games and practice are 3-6pm Mon-Friday. If you want to go ga-ga serious, or have no priority, then you get the weird times. Family skiing on the weekends!