• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Etiquette questions

urungus

1) If you see a course with gates set up, and there doesn't seem to be a race going on, is it OK to have some fun zigzagging through the gates?

2) If you are not going to use a terrain park feature, is it OK to go diagonally off its ramp to catch some air?

MadMadWorld

Racers do get pissed when you do it so that's all the more reason IMO

Cutting diagonally off a jump is fine I think as long as you do it smart. There really is no right or wrong way to hit it as long as you do it in a way that that doesn't put others safety at risk

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

2Planker

Sure No problem
As long as the course is not roped off above and/or you didn't duck any ropes to get there, BOTH would be fine !

1) If you see a course with gates set up, and there doesn't seem to be a race going on, is it OK to have some fun zigzagging through the gates?

2) If you are not going to use a terrain park feature, is it OK to go diagonally off its ramp to catch some air?

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

No. 1: No.

No. 2: No. You need to enter a park at the beginning and be sure to avoid other users and follow the park rules.

2Planker

As a 30 year Patroller, & race Coach, it's the responsibility of the Mt (Race Prgrm/Patrol) to close the course by roping it off if unattended. If they leave the course it's Fair Game for anyone at all. Recently some guests removed 6 gates from a section of course set up for practice... Racers were pissed, but didn't get too much sympathy from Mgmt or Patrol.

Virtually everybody who skis thru a Terrain Park will catch a lil air off a jump rather than hit the whole feature. No prob at all......

No. 1: No.

No. 2: No. You need to enter a park at the beginning and be sure to avoid other users and follow the park rules.

Puck it

As a 30 year Patroller, & race Coach, it's the responsibility of the Mt (Race Prgrm/Patrol) to close the course by roping it off if unattended. If they leave the course it's Fair Game for anyone at all. Recently some guests removed 6 gates from a section of course set up for practice... Racers were pissed, but didn't get too much sympathy from Mgmt or Patrol.

Virtually everybody who skis thru a Terrain Park will catch a lil air off a jump rather than hit the whole feature. No prob at all......
Agree on both.

slatham

Agreed. I've actually asked 2 area owners/operators, as well as my home Mountian race coach, about #1 and they would concur with the above.

Jully

Sure No problem
As long as the course is not roped off above and/or you didn't duck any ropes to get there, BOTH would be fine !

I would just caution to be REALLY sure that no one is coming down the hill on the gates. A quick glance often does not suffice.

cdskier

If a race course isn't roped off, it is fair game.

I also see no issues with jumping off a ramp in a terrain park instead of using the ramp to access the feature as long as you follow the standard terrain park rules of looking before jumping, etc.

4aprice

Just an observation; people seem happy and entitled to run a vacant race course, but complain when the racers are running around the mountain on limited terrain at the beginning of the season like they don't belong there or closing trails for a competition. As a former race parent, I'm not saying that either are right or wrong, just observing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

Race course wise, if it's not roped off and nobody is around, AND you enter it from the start, not midway through, fine and dandy (just make sure you're skiing around the proper side of the gates so you don't look like a total tool!! ;-) )

Terrain park, again, fine if you're not cutting anyone off, and then stick to one side of the park and not criss cross from side to side to hit the side of a ramp

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

After you run the course make sure you stop right at the finish line at the bottom, clip out of your skis and walk into the bar for a beer!

Quietman

AND you enter it from the start, not midway through, fine and dandy [/URL]

We had some close calls during this year's ARL at Crotched. Both skiers and boarders would just wander into the course without a care in the world. The best one was when one of the race directors decided to jump into the course midway to cut down some of ruts, and cut off a woman who had waited at the top for 10+ minutes waiting to be one of the 1st runners. Even he never looked up!!!

Savemeasammy

After you run the course make sure you stop right at the finish line at the bottom, clip out of your skis and walk into the bar for a beer!

You don't necessarily need to wait until you get to the bottom of the course. You are entitled to leave your skis wherever you please. Embrace the race culture!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

djd66

So when I jump on some open course and get yelled at,... I will say - "I read in the internet this was ok":lol:

xwhaler

You don't necessarily need to wait until you get to the bottom of the course. You are entitled to leave your skis wherever you please. Embrace the race culture!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
We need to work on this for next yr. We didn't embrace this concept enough this season! Gotta act more like the race brats

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app