• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

nhskier1969

Did you notice that the flu deaths stopped in January? Even the CDC estimates that flu deaths range in the 24 to 60 thousand range but it is not clear as many cases many have been counted as COVID-19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone read the news article from Jack Nicklaus. I now Jack is not an expert on coronavirus but he is a well respected figure in the golf community. Here is his quote:

“I don’t think the deaths are a correct number,” he said Friday. “I hate to say that.”
Nicklaus told a story about two people he knows whose parents died from something other than COVID and, according to Nicklaus, they were asked if the cause of death could be changed to COVID and declined.
“The hospital gets more money with COVID death than they do another death,” Nicklaus said. “I’m sure there’s been a lot of that.”

jimmywilson69

I always ride the double when its running and there's a stupid line at the FourRunner. Takes me everywhere I want/need to go.

Its nice to enjoy the scendary too on the way up. Last year when I was on it there was a child/teen "extreme" contest on Lookout. Fun to watch for sure!

BenedictGomez

Anyone read the news article from Jack Nicklaus. I now Jack is not an expert on coronavirus but he is a well respected figure in the golf community. Here is his quote:

“I don’t think the deaths are a correct number,” he said Friday. “I hate to say that.”
Nicklaus told a story about two people he knows whose parents died from something other than COVID and, according to Nicklaus, they were asked if the cause of death could be changed to COVID and declined.
“The hospital gets more money with COVID death than they do another death,” Nicklaus said. “I’m sure there’s been a lot of that.”

It's tough to know what he's referring to for sure, but I think what he's speaking of is Medicare patients, where you get an additional 20% bump up in payment for COVID. Though they dont have to die, they just need to have it.

drjeff

It's tough to know what he's referring to for sure, but I think what he's speaking of is Medicare patients, where you get an additional 20% bump up in payment for COVID. Though they dont have to die, they just need to have it.

I believe that it was one bump in reimbursement for a COVID diagnosis, and then a second, even greater bump in reimbursement if the patient ended up being intubated during treatment. And I believe that this was written into the 1st round of the CARES Act that was passed

deadheadskier

Staff member
I believe that it was one bump in reimbursement for a COVID diagnosis, and then a second, even greater bump in reimbursement if the patient ended up being intubated during treatment. And I believe that this was written into the 1st round of the CARES Act that was passed
Maybe true, but there isn't a hospital CFO in the country smiling about Covid reimbursement checks. All of them have lost their freaking shirts, shorts, socks and underwear from this and have been left wearing a set of nipple pasties to keep warm on a sub zero day. It's been an absolute fiscal disaster. Partners (now Mass General Brigham) is the largest employer in New England and wealthiest healthcare company. They are on track to lose $2B this year. Beth Israel Lahey, #2 in terms of revenue, lost $300M+ in April alone.

They all want this pandemic over and would gladly not receive a single Covid patient again.

But politicizing the body count has been our language whether over counting or under since the beginning. Media outlets will push their particular count based upon who they want in office. That's really all there is too it and both sides are guilty of it

So, here we are....

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

Andrew B.

Maybe true, but there isn't a hospital CFO in the country smiling about Covid reimbursement checks. All of them have lost their freaking shirts, shorts, socks and underwear from this and have been left wearing a set of nipple pasties to keep warm on a sub zero day. It's been an absolute fiscal disaster. Partners (now Mass General Brigham) is the largest employer in New England and wealthiest healthcare company. They are on track to lose $2B this year. Beth Israel Lahey, #2 in terms of revenue, lost $300M+ in April alone.

They all want this pandemic over and would gladly not receive a single Covid patient again.

But politicizing the body count has been our language whether over counting or under since the beginning. Media outlets will push their particular count based upon who they want in office. That's really all there is too it and both sides are guilty of it

So, here we are....

After losing their shirts they would have no reason to try and increase reimbursement?
Seems contradictory to human nature.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No

Meaning they'd give anything to be 100% back to normal and not dealing with Covid patients. Even with the extra reimbursement, it has been far from a profitable endeavor.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So in the case of Dr Jeff's example, put patients on vents because they can bill more? Covid or not, vents are a last resort. When not needed, that's essentially malpractice. You're a lawyer. You probably know the potential payouts for a malpractice suit. How many doctors are going to risk their license for that?

How many doctors have we heard about stating they've been instructed by hospital administration to make inaccurate COD notifications to reflect Covid? You know, essentially commit fraud?

Fact is COD notifications have always been far from perfect. Almost everyone dies from co-morbidities.

This idea that there's some massive conspiracy going on is just ridiculous

1dog

Just like any other business, they are trying to make ends meet. These points are all valid. Human nature, the nature of capitalism, and the need to do the right things are all in the mix, blurred, and what comes out is as DH puts it so well ' So, here we are . '

MA just today announced curfews and early shut downs of restaurants, and even limiting liquor sales in stores to earlier hour than closing.

Do any of us have a handle on truth? Blurred.

The good thing about the internet is anyone can put out anything they want. The bad thing about it is exactly the same.

mister moose

So in the case of Dr Jeff's example, put patients on vents because they can bill more? Covid or not, vents are a last resort. When not needed, that's essentially malpractice. You're a lawyer. You probably know the potential payouts for a malpractice suit. How many doctors are going to risk their license for that?

How many doctors have we heard about stating they've been instructed by hospital administration to make inaccurate COD notifications to reflect Covid? You know, essentially commit fraud?

Fact is COD notifications have always been far from perfect. Almost everyone dies from co-morbidities.

This idea that there's some massive conspiracy going on is just ridiculous

Disagree. Not saying there is a conspiracy, that a bunch of hospital administrators got together and hatched a plan. However, after a recent injury I was manipulated to answer certain questions in a certain way so I would qualify for insurance for certain procedures. There is gaming of the system going on, and it dates back well before COVID.

VTKilarney

That may be true, but your argument that they are hurting so they are LESS likely to fudge COVID stats just doesn’t make sense.

1dog

The Law of Subsidy

Disagree. Not saying there is a conspiracy, that a bunch of hospital administrators got together and hatched a plan. However, after a recent injury I was manipulated to answer certain questions in a certain way so I would qualify for insurance for certain procedures. There is gaming of the system going on, and it dates back well before COVID.

Interesting take with a little history :

https://noqreport.com/2020/10/30/covid-garbage-in-covid-garbage-out/