• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown (night): Sunday, 12/9/2007

Greg

Staff member
There you go setting me up for disappointment again... :roll:

;)

You can always nudge Chris in the right direction if you see him this weekend. He mentioned in the past that he would be thrilled to open with bumps.

bvibert

Staff member
You can always nudge Chris in the right direction if you see him this weekend. He mentioned in the past that he would be thrilled to open with bumps.

I hope to run into Chris on Saturday, I imagine he'll be around with all the snow making going on. I'll have to do a little nudging...

Greg

Staff member
Updated: November 30, 2007, 10:02 am

SNOWMAKING UPDATE:
98 GUNS WILL LIGHT OFF AROUND MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT, ALL DAY SATURDAY, SATURDAY NIGHT AND INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING ON CANYON RUN, NOR'EASTER, EXHIBITION, TEMPTOR, STINGER AND LITTLE JOE. EXPECTING A CHANGING WEATHER EPISODE MIDDAY ON SUNDAY BEGINNING AS SNOW AND CHANGING OVER TO A SNOW MIX. AS MORE COLD AIR ARRIVES ON MONDAY, SNOWMAKING OPERATIONS WILL RESUME MID-DAY WITH NO END IN SIGHT. WE WILL OPEN FOR THE SEASON AS OF 3PM ON FRIDAY, DEC. 7 WITH 6 TRAILS.
http://www.skisundown.com/conditions/

Actually, Friday, the 7th won't work for me either.... :roll:

Greg

Staff member
DOH! :smash: Guess I'm out.... :(

If they open before Thursday, I'll do Thursday, otherwise maybe Sunday night, although it will be only a short session, probably not getting there much before 7:30 or 8 pm...

bvibert

Staff member
I was up there for a few hours today. A nice little natural snow squall moved though in the morning, but then melted and/or blew away fairly quickly. The guns were blazing the whole time I was there though, except for the ones at the very bottom. They were blowing when I pulled in, but they turned them off around 8:30 or so I'd guess. I did manage to take a few pics, but they're still on the camera which is currently at Mohawk with my wife...

bvibert

Staff member
Here's the pics from today:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=795

120107001.jpg

120107002.jpg

Greg

Staff member

We were farting around shopping in Torrington today so we decided to take a spin by the mountain. They made some amazing progress in one night:

IMG_4249.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

Check out the mounds at the bottom of the Canyon Run flats/top of Exhibition! There was also nice mound right at the base. During the ride in, it was clear the Canyon Run flats had a lot of snow as you could see it from 219. Snowmaking was visible from the base on Ex, Canyon run and Stinger. Only a bit of snow on Temptor, no guns today. Gunbarrel was bare as expected. Those pics are from about 10:45 this morning. I imagine they blew straight through today.

Does Mohawk usually open before Sundown?

Sundown could probably open right now if they wanted to. They have to get through tonight/tomorrow's sleet/freezing rain/rain event which should do little damage being a cold rain. Resuming tomorrow night, it's game on:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/zipcity.php?inputstring=06057

With lows in the teens most of the week, I would really be surprised if they didn't open earlier than Friday. If they are open Thursday night, I'm there. Otherwise Sunday night.

Still praying for December bumps!

Greg

Staff member
With lows in the teens most of the week, I would really be surprised if they didn't open earlier than Friday. If they are open Thursday night, I'm there. Otherwise Sunday night.

Well, just heard back from Chris again and they are indeed shooting for a Friday opening. So I will go on Sunday night instead. Might not click in until 7:30 or so.

Still praying for December bumps!

Hell yeah:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/20829-ski-sundown-night-wednesday-12-12-2007-a.html

Grassi21

I'd like to get up there at some point this weekend. If I can't do a day time thing with the wife I'm going to shoot for Sunday night.

Flyinbysti

Nice, I might have to get up there next weekend if thats the case.

Grassi21

I'm out for Sunday. But I will be there with wifey on Saturday. Hoping to be skiing by 10 am. Wife's first time out since March of 06. All new gear so I'm sure her feet are going to feel great!

Greg

Staff member
I'm out for Sunday. But I will be there with wifey on Saturday. Hoping to be skiing by 10 am. Wife's first time out since March of 06. All new gear so I'm sure her feet are going to feel great!

Keep us posted on the conditions. Still aiming for Sunday night.

Grassi21

Keep us posted on the conditions. Still aiming for Sunday night.

I will. I'll have plenty of time to snap pics while wifey is adjusting to the new gear... and from not being out in over a year. So psyched to ski with her.