• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2010-11 Thread

Razor

Thanks

Thanks to all who post on this thread. Over the past couple of years you have saved us hundreds of dollars, both in lift tickets and lodging. The CHAD card this year is unbelievable.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks to all who post on this thread. Over the past couple of years you have saved us hundreds of dollars, both in lift tickets and lodging. The CHAD card this year is unbelievable.
Glad you find them useful and thank you for commenting. If nobody is using them, might as well stop posting them. For now, I use it as cross check against what others post. So don't be afraid to post something that may turn out to be a duplicate. Hate to miss something. Yep, I've got a CHAD card in my greasy hands, along with a few others.

EOS

VERY useful!! Thanks to everyone that adds to this thread.

bousquet19

Hey Woody - I got one last year, and had no problems with security or IT issues. One word of caution, though - When you arrive at the resort to redeem one of the vouchers, hand them the entire booklet, and they will tear out one of the vouchers for you. From what I've heard, some of the ski areas are real sticklers about that.

Have fun at Whiteface and Gore, both great places to ski!

Thanks for the info, zinger3K. Price Chopper's online ordering system http://www2.pricechopper.com/orderform/skipass.shtml hasn't been working. I was advised, though, that their ski passbooks were now in the stores and I could pick them up in a Price Chopper store at the service desk.

These look like good deals!

Woody

Last edited:

gmcunni

sorry if this is a dupe-
@ Sugarbush -

The SugarDirect card lets you skip right past the ticket window and head directly to the lift1. It makes a great holiday gift and you’ll save every time you ski. Sign up today and enjoy these benefits all winter long:
SugarDirect features:

One free 2010/11 All Mountain Lift Ticket ($84 value)
Free skiing/riding on your 11th day (after 10 purchased tickets)
25% off midweek and 20% off weekend and holiday adult All Mountain Lift Tickets
15% off midweek resort lodging (non-holiday)
10% off at Timbers Restaurant2, and ski/board rentals and tuning (non-holiday)
Discounts are non-transferable and may not be combined with any other offer. Discounted rates are rounded to the nearest dollar. Valid through the end of the 2010/11 winter season. Holiday periods are 12/25/2010-1/2/2011; 1/15-1/17/2011; 2/19-2/27/2011.

Just $99 until 12/19/2010.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for the info, zinger3K. Price Chopper's online ordering system http://www2.pricechopper.com/orderform/skipass.shtml hasn't been working. I was advised, though, that their ski passbooks were now in the stores and I could pick them up in a Price Chopper store at the service desk.

These look like good deals!

Woody
I had the same problem. Their support team was unhelpful and told me that no one else was reporting problems and their online store is working! :blink: I'll go to the store to purchase instead. Very odd.

Beetlenut

I had the same problem. Their support team was unhelpful and told me that no one else was reporting problems and their online store is working! :blink: I'll go to the store to purchase instead. Very odd.

Am I correct in assuming that you can't ski a mountain more than once per package? It doesn't specifically say so, so just wondering.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Am I correct in assuming that you can't ski a mountain more than once per package? It doesn't specifically say so, so just wondering.
My understanding is you can use it multiple times at the same mountain. It does not mention this as a restriction and I believe (though am not 100% certain) that I read another poster had successfully used past cards multiple times at the same mountain. I would recommend contacting Price Chopper if that is a sticking point for you. My plan is to use it at three different places.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
sorry if this is a dupe-
@ Sugarbush -

The SugarDirect card lets you skip right past the ticket window and head directly to the lift1. It makes a great holiday gift and you’ll save every time you ski. Sign up today and enjoy these benefits all winter long:.

I've no problems with duplicates, have at it! It makes sure we just don't miss anything.

A general observation - This class of card, which I'll call a "frequent skier card" has become quite popular in the northeast. 25 separate areas are now offering them. The setup is pretty similar - one ticket is included, but undershoots the total costs of the card. It usually takes 2-4 visits to break even on a card. It's all about customer loyalty. Most cards are not transferable, so it's only good for a ticket for the named card holder.

It works, if it's a resort you plan to frequent, but not enough to justify a season's pass. It may even work if you're just doing a ski holiday, but compare the multi-day rates first.

Another option. With enough planning, you can probably buy (before December) a "bulk"purchase 3-10 of tickets which are most often transferable (think family or group day trip). 11 of the 15 "bulk packages" I reviewed have no blackout dates. These are often offered by mid-tier mountains, not the "name brand" mountains.

Read the card carefully though, many cards black out Saturdays or other periods.

My $0.02. Everyone's situation is different, so consider all your options before you jump on a frequent skier card. riverc0il initiated another thread on these cards a couple weeks ago.

bousquet19

My understanding is you can use it multiple times at the same mountain. It does not mention this as a restriction and I believe (though am not 100% certain) that I read another poster had successfully used past cards multiple times at the same mountain. I would recommend contacting Price Chopper if that is a sticking point for you. My plan is to use it at three different places.

'Seems as if I've been on the phone with Price Chopper a lot lately.:-( Before deciding to buy a passbook, I called PC and asked, "If I come to the ticket window with three passes in my Passbook and want to buy 3 tickets that day, can I do that?" The man in PC's Promotions Department (Scott) said that I certainly could. This was important b/c I'll probably use 2 at Mt. Snow or Bromley. He recommended not to detach the passbook tix but, instead, present the entire book at the window for the ski area staff to see the tix and remove them there.

And then there's the secret handshake. ...

Woody

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
AAA Card @ Wawa

Back again for another year.

ATTENTION AAA Members who ski at Wachusett Mountain! The AAA member benefit at Wachusett Mountain has changed for the 2010-2011 Ski Season!
The 2010-2011 AAA Member benefits will include:
LIFT TICKETS (see wachusett.com for schedule)
AAA members save $10 off Prime and Spring Lift Tickets and $5 off Peak Lift Tickets when they purchase them in advance online at AAA.com/wachusett.
LEARN to TURN packages
AAA members save $10 off BEGINNERS Learn to Turn Packages when they purchase them in advance online at AAA.com/wachusett.
PARKING
AAA members save $5 off VIP Parking when the purchase them in advance online at AAA.com/wachusett.
PLEASE NOTE: All offers MUST be purchased in advance online prior to visiting Wachusett Mountain. Please allow 24 hours for processing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
This was just posted by trackbiker on the NELSAP Forum, figured I would repost here.

Free Pico Lift TIcket and Killington 2for1
http://www.killington.com/promotions/dmb/index.html

Killington 2for1
http://www.killington.com/winter/2for1/2for1-skimag

Just gotta sign up for a newsletter. Doesn't mention any restriction on actually even being a DMB Fan or anything so it does not seem fan club related? Check your spam folder for the ticket. Seems like your choice if you confirm your email or not?

The Pico deal seems to have been taken down from the web.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Ski Club houses offer inexpensive accomodations.

Cheap lodging near/in the mountains

Members of various ski clubs sometimes have arrangements for their members to stay at a lodge owned by another club. Most often these are single-gender, bunk-style arrangements which have cooking facilities. Very few of them however accommodate families, and couples often have to split up. For example, my club ACE, has an arrangement with a club in North Conway for ACE members to stay overnight for $24. While ACE has no house of it's own, it's a great way for you to get a room without the financial or work obligations of a club which owns a house. This is definitely a "step up" from hostels, the majority of the people in a club house know each other and take care of the place, so things are a more controlled.

Aside from the price, it's a great way to meet other kindred spirits and check out a club. Many others have a "guest" privilege where prospective members can board overnight as part of checking out the club. If you get serious about a club, keep in mind that most are open year round, so they can be a base camp for off-season hiking and other mountain activities. Ski Councils are a great vehicle for reciprocity between clubs, so when you're looking to save a buck, this might be something to consider.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Pico deal seems to have been taken down from the web.

No surprise there. It looks like it was intended for DMB Fan Club members only but it went viral and was an open site on the web so any one could get the deal

Wonder if they'll still honor the offer. The printed voucher with bar code makes no mention of the DMB fan club even though it was mentioned in the link with the offer on the website.

If they don't honor it, I hope they're smart and send out multiple emails stating such to those who signed up for the mailing list and received the voucher. I can imagine some pretty peeved customers who show up with expectations to ski for free only to be told their voucher is not valid.

If mine works great, if not, I have a Warren Miller twofer to use. It did sound way too good to be true when I first read it here. Never seen a mountain 100% give away their ski product outside of to contest winners or industry partners.