• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugar Mountain, North Carolina for the win!?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Carpool ? Busy week between the hockey game in Montreal with my daughter, other daughter bday and busy two evening's this week. ;)

Tennessee is also white.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Savemeasammy

They have some mid-stations near the top. I wonder how often they put them to use?

They also have something that you don't see very ofter - condos at the TOP of the mountain! I couldn't imagine living at 5300' in New England... Brrrrr.....

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

granite

Congrats to all our brothers and sisters in the Tar Heel State. I will have Carolina on my mind when they open at 9am.

slatham

Watched the first skiers on their Base web cam. Good for them - shows what elevation will do! The eastern season has started.

jimk

I guess ground zero, or ground 6593' :lol:, for this storm is Mt. Leconte, TN. It's in Great Smoky Mtns NP about ten miles south of Gatlinburg or ~150 miles west of Sugar Mtn ski area in NC. Here's a photo from the lodge on Mt. Leconte on Nov 1:
leconte.jpg
From Wiki: Mount Le Conte is notable for having the highest inn providing lodging for visitors in the Eastern United States. The LeConte Lodge is a small resort, established in 1925, located on the top of the mountain (~6593'). First, it was a tent, then a single cabin, and now it is a series of small personal log cabins and a central lodge/dining hall situated along the top of a mountain. It can accommodate about 50 guests a night, and is generally open from March–November. There is no transportation to the lodge and all guests must hike in on one of the five trails that access the mountain.

Those people up there better have snowshoes or something to get out of there.:spread:

skiNEwhere

Wow. So sugar Mtn has the highest amount of vertical open in the country :daffy::daffy:

The place looks decent. They even have a trail that they have to groom with a winch cat. If I'm ever in the area I'll have to check it out.

i did laugh a little bit though at the way the narrator said "double black diamond" :lol: