• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The new 6-pack replacing the Bonnie at Jay Peak is on its way

fbrissette

Not a big surprise, but at least confirmation that it's for this summer. Another reason they need to do this this summer is that the current loading area of the Bonnie is right where they want to build the new hotel. This was sent to homeowners:

This outreach is to share information on a proposed building project at Jay Peak Resort. This
project is proposed to install a new 6-passenger chair lift we are calling “Power Line Lift”. The
proposed construction for this season consists of installing the lift structure and equipment, site
grading in the loading and unloading areas, a storage building for the detachable chairs, and
building lift attendant huts at the top and bottom terminals. Detailed plans of the proposed
construction are available at the Jay Town Clerk’s office for your review, along with building
plans and permit applications. We have attached a map of the proposed project location for your
review.

The Power Line Lift project will be discussed at a Town of Jay Zoning Board meeting on
February 11, 2013 at 7:15pm.

fbrissette

I guess I should also add the following:

New Stateside Hotel:
This outreach is to share information on a proposed building project at Jay Peak Resort. This
project is located on a portion of land owned by Jay Peak Inc. situated at the existing Stateside
Base Area, and is called “Stateside Hotel & Day Lodge”. The proposed construction for this
season consists of a 84-unit Hotel and Day Lodge to improve and expand the services currently
provided by the Stateside Chalet. This project also includes associated infrastructure and parking.
Detailed plans of the proposed construction are available at the Jay Town Clerk’s office for your
review, along with building plans and permit applications. We have attached a drawing of the
site for your review.

And yet more rooms (80 units with one or two beds):
project is located on a portion of land owned by Jay Peak Inc. situated near the existing Jay Peak
Village along Jay Peak Road, and is called “Lodge & Townhouses Phase 2”. The proposed
construction for this season consists of 18 residential buildings, specifically eight 3-unit, two 12-
unit, and eight 4-unit buildings with a mix of one or two bedrooms each. This project also
includes associated infrastructure and new alignment of Jay Peak Rd. Detailed plans of the
proposed construction are available at the Jay Town Clerk’s office for your review, along with
building plans and permit applications. We have attached a drawing of the site for your review.

Nothing about the West Bowl however.

Smellytele

Not a big surprise, but at least confirmation that it's for this summer. Another reason they need to do this this summer is that the current loading area of the Bonnie is right where they want to build the new hotel. This was sent to homeowners:

Also why they put the new Taxi lift up higher and a PIA to get to this year.

crank

I too was wondering why they put that lift so far up the damn hill.

BigJay

Cause once the hotel and new lodge is in, it will be within reach.

Say good bye to convenient lift access... you will have to climb stairs, get between the lodge and the hotel and walk up and up on concrete and steel before you touch snow. BBQ off the Bonnie is out... no more tail gate.

No more: walk a few step, clip on skis and on the lift... It will be a lot of walking and hiking to lifts... kind of like tramside...

What's next: New facilities at the bottom of the triple to "appeal to guests" using the new intermediate groomer in the orchard?

Not about skiers and riders... but resorts guests. Not the same people.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Also why they put the new Taxi lift up higher and a PIA to get to this year.

It is still going to be a 250 ft (uphill) walk from the new lodge. However, I also think a contributing factor to the location of the bottom Taxi terminal is a function of where the snowmaking line and tower guns are currently located in that area. The line is just below the bank of the Taxi quad's lift queue. Try to squeeze the lift terminal and traversing skiers in between the new lodge and the snowmaking line would have been a mess. I think they went with the lesser of two evils by locating the lift farther upslope.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I hope that they leave the Bonnie up for windy days or mechanical failure, but I doubt they will.

crank

I hope that they leave the Bonnie up for windy days or mechanical failure, but I doubt they will.

Good point. The only thing running on windy days will be the jet. Gee, good thing they are cutting more trails over there!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

Not going to happen. The new lodge is going to be located where the Bonnie's bottom terminal currently is.

I created footprints from the most recent master plan. You can see the Bonnie's terminal inside the right side of the Hotel/Lodge.

Stateside_BuildingOverview.jpg

It looks like they are setting Stateside up with a focus on the day skier. The looping road from Route 242 easily makes it the most accessible part of the resort from the road. Additionally, the parking lot has almost been doubled in size using waste fill from all of the construction.

Stateside_BuildingOverview_2.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
If your drawing is accurate the Taxi is still way to high as will the new 6pack be

I may not have the Taxi terminal positioned perfectly as it was built. The terminal may be slightly closer to the lodge (20 ft?) than I'm showing here. I won't know for sure until the aerial imagery with the new lift are loaded into Google Earth.

Keep in mind that even though the Powerline bottom terminal is still rather far from the lodge, at least it is a relatively flat walk. The Taxi quad's base is about 30 ft higher than the powerline 6 accord to Google Earth elevations.

fbrissette

Last time I was there the Bonnie closed because of wind or so it was stated

The Bonnie closes from time to time, but on most windy days, you will have the Freezer and the Tram closed with the Bonnie and jet running.

Now with the Bonnie going higher up, we'll be stuck with the Jet more often. Which is not a bad thing if you are willing to skin up. From the top of the Taxi quad, took me 25 minutes to get to the top of the flyer last week-end. Then, I was absolutely all alone in Ull'rs basin. A lot more work than crossing over from the Bonnie but higher potential rewards on a snowy wind hold day.

gregnye

Hallelujah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its about time for this lift! However, judging from how many windhold there have been this season (i have Jay Peak on my facebook) there is a windhold once or twice a week! Therefore, I am changing my opinion slightly---they should keep the old bonnie and run it during wind-hold days only as well.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com

There are rumors that they might move "Bonnie" over to replace Jet.

*edit* more than just rumors. The master plan calls for Jet to become a fixed grip quad. The logical way of doing this would mean moving Bonnie over.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There are rumors that they might move "Bonnie" over to replace Jet.

*edit* more than just rumors. The master plan calls for Jet to become a fixed grip quad. The logical way of doing this would mean moving Bonnie over.

That's right. Honestly though you could probably get new carriers for the Jet and just leave the Bonnie alone (or move the base terminal up the slope). If it ain't broke....