• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thunder Ridge to Possibly Close

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/2014/09/11/thunder-ridge-ski-area-may-close/15469703/

The slopes at the Thunder Ridge ski area in Patterson could be quiet this winter regardless of the weather.

Longtime operator Mary Conklin on Thursday said she and her husband, Robert, will "not be managing Thunder Ridge this year" and negotiations over its future have stalled. That could leave high school racing teams, parents trying to teach their little ones how to snowplow and others looking to hit the slopes without any local winter-fun options.

Previously known as Mount Big Birch and Ski Big Birch, the land off Route 22 has been attracting skiers since the 1950s. It's the only ski area in Westchester, Putnam or Rockland counties.

The Conklins began running the operation in November 1995 after buying it at a foreclosure auction. They transferred their winning bid back to the Putnam County National Bank and went on to lease the property.

Mary Conklin said they have been trying to work out a deal with the bank about the business and equipment.

"I don't know what they're planning to do," said Conklin, a former Putnam County legislator. "We would like it to be a continuing part of our community."

Bank president Wayne Ryder didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Wow. This is sad. I haven't been there in a few years even though its a half hour from my house. This was the place where I got over my fear of "the lift" and got off the bunny slope. I remember going to Thunder Ridge with my friend when we were young. I would always do the diamonds but he was too scared :smile:. The last time I was there (2010, maybe 2011?) it had rained the day before and froze overnight. The parking lot was a sheet of ice that was so slippery my SUV with snow tires slid across it. I'll always remember the ANCIENT summit double with the abandoned midstation. That thing was so slow you might as well walk up. The terrain, however, had some nice pitches, even if it only lasted 100 feet. The trails were very narrow and had a nice New England feel to them. Grooming was basic, snowmaking usually occurred on 10 trails or less.

Let's hope they find a buyer. I'd hate it if I had to say my home mountain was Southington :x

bvibert

Staff member
Bummer. Cool place with a lot of history!

I hope something gets worked out..