• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top five Resorts

snoseek

whoever has the best snow. would rather ski black mt. with pow than mrg with ice (just an example).

wa-loaf

1. Sugarloaf
2. Stowe
3. Sugarbush
4. MRG
5. Cannon

(Never been to Jay or it might make the list)

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Mt. Ellen (they are essentially separate ski areas under the same management umbrella, that just happen to be connected by a lift)
Lincoln Peak
MRG
Pico
Jay

madskier6

1. Sugarbush
2. Mad River Glen
3. Stowe
4. Magic
5. Burke
6. BEast

Oops that's 6. My Bad. Honorable mention goes to Sugarloaf & Cannon, both of which I haven't skied in a long time but I always have fond memories of. The above rankings are based on where I live now. If I lived closer to NH or ME, I'm sure the top 5 would be different to some degree.

I'm sure Jay will be in my top 5 at some point but I only skied there in late Spring conditions many years ago so it's difficult for me to rank it. I gotta get there on a powder day!

deadheadskier

Staff member
whoever has the best snow. would rather ski black mt. with pow than mrg with ice (just an example).

very true statement. I've had two KILLER days at Mr Abram this year. That mountain wouldn't rate in anyone's top 20, nevermind 5 for the east....but on a powder when there's no one there....you really can't ask for more.

Greg

Staff member
MRG would be in there if not for lack of snowmaking. Don't get me wrong, I love it and think it has sick terrain, but I need to know there will be decent skiing to be had even during a low snowfall winter.

With the Internet; instant weather forecast, radar imagery, web-cams and skier trip reports, it's pretty difficult to not know what to expect at any given day at MRG. Additionally, they are known as putting out one of the most honest snow reports. They sort of have to. I've only been to MRG 4 times, but had excellent conditions each time. You have to pick your days though, no doubt. And as a SNE skier, I am fully aware of the importance of snowmaking. However, natural snow simply skis better.

BeanoNYC

1) Sugarbush
2) Jay
3) Stowe
Repeat

Coincidentally, I'll be at all three of those areas, in that order, next week.

BLESS

that I've skied?

1.Sugarloaf
2.Cannon
3.Wildcat
4.Sunday River
5.Loon/Attiash

I'm almost embarrassed to say I haven't been to any of the northern VT areas.....it's a shame, and I've gotta do something about it.

BLESS

There's an AZ gathering in the Mad River Valley in a few weeks. That might be a good time to come up, have some people show you the good stuff.

hmm. where's the link to that thread again? I'll see if I can work it out...

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
that I've skied?

1.Sugarloaf
2.Cannon
3.Wildcat
4.Sunday River
5.Loon/Attiash

I'm almost embarrassed to say I haven't been to any of the northern VT areas.....it's a shame, and I've gotta do something about it.

I've skied about 40 years while living in southern NH and just tried northern Vermont this year (Smuggs, MRG). This newfound knowledge is going to cost me sleep and gas money.

Northern Vermont is where it's at..except for early season when the southern Vermont areas shine with their uber-awesome snowmaking..

MikeTrainor

1. Mad River Glen
2. Wildcat
3. Sugarbush

EDIT: I am going to remove 4 and 5 from my list and just leave the areas I have a passion for on the list.

Last edited: