• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Trail Count Predictions for Tues/Wed

bdfreetuna

Maps look like most VT/NH resorts will get 10-14" and Maine will do better. If Magic gets a foot will they drop most ropes? What kind of overnight terrain expansion are we talking at various resorts?

Haven't been out this year due to bad timing in the first short stretch and no desire to ski 3 or 4 WROD.

Optimistically speaking what could we be talking about for Wednesday..

steamboat1

I wouldn't expect any expansion just yet. Most areas will be in recovery mode during this window. I highly doubt Magic will even be open Wed. Expansion will probably start Thurs. night/Fri. with the next cold snap, even then they'll be resurfacing terrain they didn't get to during this window. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

edit: next week (after New Years) things should really start to kick into gear with sustained cold weather for the whole week forecasted.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Maps look like most VT/NH resorts will get 10-14" and Maine will do better. If Magic gets a foot will they drop most ropes? What kind of overnight terrain expansion are we talking at various resorts?

Haven't been out this year due to bad timing in the first short stretch and no desire to ski 3 or 4 WROD.

Optimistically speaking what could we be talking about for Wednesday..

Hate to burst your bubble but a foot of snow should open a grand total of 0 trails. You might see some additional width on existing trails, but that's about it.

At best your rolling beginner trails with grassy surfaces need 18-24 inches to open. Anything with decent pitch needs ~3 feet for it to be navigable. It takes a lot more snow to open stuff up than you may think...

KustyTheKlown

lol. magic "dropping ropes." the ground isn't frozen and it's going to be 10" (if they are lucky) on straight up grass and rock. they aren't opening shit. best bets for expansion will be killington, stowe, jay, sunday river, sugarloaf. maybe stratton, okemo. not sure how last weekends little dump at stratton held up this week.

steamboat1

Hate to burst your bubble but a foot of snow should open a grand total of 0 trails. You might see some additional width on existing trails, but that's about it.

At best your rolling beginner trails with grassy surfaces need 18-24 inches to open. Anything with decent pitch needs ~3 feet for it to be navigable. It takes a lot more snow to open stuff up than you may think...
Even more so since the ground isn't even frozen yet & is saturated. It's nice to dream though.

benski

Win said on skimrv that he thinks pushover will be open Tuesday. They are also going to start making snow North Star and strait shot as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm going to come out and say what we're all thinking.

bdfreetuna...
1. Believes in contrails conspiracy.
2. Believes his cell phone gps is enough evidence to say he hit 70mph on Snowdon at K.
3. Believes a foot of snow after 60 degree weather will open up Magic.

I said it. Call me out on it. I'm a jerk, I know. Hope some of you got a laugh.

KustyTheKlown

bdfreetuna...
2. Believes his cell phone gps is enough evidence to say he hit 70mph on Snowdon at K.

if we could give karma points on this board, that would be a plussin

Newpylong

The non weather channel (always inflated) models show 6-8" max in most of VT and NH. It's going to be a nice base and help the ground freeze for man made on top, nothing will open alone on it.

steamboat1

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I was surprised to read this morning that Killington has the guns going on lower Bittersweet & middle Superstar. Two trails that haven't been open yet this season. They did make snow on middle Supe earlier this season but it never opened. This of course is in addition to guns going all over the mountain resurfacing open terrain & terrain that had been open but closed.

drjeff

I was surprised to read this morning that Killington has the guns going on lower Bittersweet & middle Superstar. Two trails that haven't been open yet this season. They did make snow on middle Supe earlier this season but it never opened. This of course is in addition to guns going all over the mountain resurfacing open terrain & terrain that had been open but closed.

The cold temps today mean they need less air per gun and likely gives them the ability to run more guns for both resurfacing and expanding, especially if they're using more low E guns and less k3000's with the more favorable temps

bdfreetuna

bdfreetuna...

Do I know you? You do seem like a jerk. 1) ? 2) Sorry I reported what it said and even posted the screenshot, I could care less how fast I went 3) To be fair, it was a question, not directed at admitted jerks.

Thanks for the intel everyone else. I won't expect much. I think the best idea if we do get a foot is to go somewhere that has a "the woods are never closed" policy. Wednesday could be fun.

steamboat1

The cold temps today mean they need less air per gun and likely gives them the ability to run more guns for both resurfacing and expanding, especially if they're using more low E guns and less k3000's with the more favorable temps

I know middle Supe is lined with low e mounted tower guns, not sure what's on lower Bittersweet. They do still use K3000's on upper Supe & have been using K3000's on most of the other open terrain so far this season. They do have the ability to switch to low e guns on most of the terrain they were using K3000's on though.

bdfreetuna

Lincoln Peak is looking at 13"
Killington Peak is looking at 14"

I see no reason some lower angle high elevation ropes wouldn't be dropped on an already active pod. Should be able to connect top of K peak with top of Superstar with that snow.

machski

Sunday River could be in position to open up to 10 additional trails with natural, but those will be trails that were being prepped to open with previous snowmaking. If it's a very dense snow in the 12 inch plus range, lower angle trails may be able to be opened with natural alone. But they will be shredded down to grass/dirt/rock fast.

slatham

bdfreetuna, where did you get those amounts from?

IMHO this will be a good starting base storm that will literally lay the foundation for the next storm of this or great magnitude to open terrain.