• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Travel :: How far do you travel to ride (hike) vs. riding (skiing)

BigJay

Alright, i was talking about that not too long ago and realized that even tough riding my bike is as important as riding my board, my willingness to travel for my sport is totally different during summer vs. winter...

During summer, i take road trips... I travel to Stowe a bunch of times, travel down to Mad River Valley, go to Kingdom Trails and travel to a bunch of diffetent riding areas where local clubs have trails. To me, riding is still "local" when it's within 1,5hr from home...

Winter is totally different. I'll go riding at Jay most every weekend because the mountain is 15min away... But i'll never make it down to $towe (haven't been there in 15 years!) or Sugarbush... I'll go to Sutton once or twice... Went to Owl's head once last year... And then do 2-3 trips a bit further... Last year i went to the Chic-Chocs for 3 days... and once to Mt. Washington...

Now, why am i not willing to drive during winter, i don't know... I love driving in winter conditions... I guess the possibilities when you're in the woods is bigger then riding the same trail on a bike over and over... and also that you can almost ride anywhere you want around here...

Anyone feels the same? Or total opposite... Ride in your backyard all summer... and then drive around in winter?

Tell me it's not just me!

dmc

I feel the same way..

I have a pass at my local mountain.. it's 2 minutes from my house..
So I tend to just ride there... unless I'm headed out west or visiting friends at other mountains..

I'll go all over for mtbing...

Greg

Staff member
I have to travel for really good skiing. Excellent mountain biking can be found very close to home so I find it harder to justify traveling more than an hour or so to ride. I probably also wouldn't take a vacation day to ride while I take plenty to ski. I also have a little home hill which is a great place to ski so I do a pretty equal mix of local skiing and longer day trips/overnights. Despite how much I love mountain biking, skiing is the primary activity. I get a certain number of chips each year (vacation days, wife credits) and I'm not going to cash them in to ride over skiing. I don't hike that much any more, but like skiing, most of my backpacking trips found me in the Whites. There is some nice day hiking in Northwest CT too though.

cbcbd

Lol, yeah, if I lived 15 minutes from Jay I wouldn't be driving to other mountains often either :D

I will drive farther for skiing than riding. I live farther from skiing than riding, you can go for a quick 1 hour ride, but a "quick" 1 hour ski is harder to pull off midweek, and winter conditions seem more fleeting and variable.

I love riding, but for me riding is more of a midweek thing and more convenient because I can do it alone in a pinch. Summer weekends I like to devote to climbing and the bigger mountains just because it takes more time to get there and you usually need a partner and a plan.

powderman

Skiing... My home mountain (Catamount) is 45.58 miles
I've been biking a lot more recently so I'm no longer into hiking

In a hiking season I hike less than 200 miles...

In a ski season I ski about 2 million vertical feet which is similar to almost 400 vertical miles..my best is 2.6 vert..

For skiing I'll travel wherever to ski..for hiking..I will not travel more than an hour or two..