• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Tremblant Weather in February/March

mitchapalooza

I'm not a regular here but I posted on this board last year looking for advice on my first trip to NE and received many great responses here that were very helpful. We ended up at Stratton mid-week in late January and had a great time. Thanks to the board for your help!

I'm tentatively planning a trip to Tremblant this coming season and, although not technically New England, I figured many folks here have been there and could compare it to VT and ME.

My biggest concern regarding Tremblant is the weather. I know its Canada so it should be cold and I'm fine with that. But...considering this is a family trip (including kids ages 5 and 3), I don't want it to be too brutal or they'd be miserable (and therefore I'd be miserable). Also, it looks like they don't get as much natural snow as most of the northern VT and ME mountains, which seems a little odd to me.

The three weeks I'm considering (coordinating around holiday weeks for better deals and less crowds) are the 1st week of Feb, the last week of Feb or the 3rd week of March.

• I'm thinking early February may just be too cold and later February to mid March may be slightly milder, but would mid March be too warm?
  • Is the weather there much colder than northern VT or ME?
  • And is snow an issue there, as in do they get enough to make it worth the trip?

I plan to reserve lodging for 2 of those 3 weeks and eventually cancel one of them. I can watch the weather and cancel a few days out if the first choice looks to be too brutal. The nice thing is they're running a nice sale right now, they don't charge anything to hold the room, and they have a generous cancellation policy (they have no issue with my plan to book two weeks and cancel one). I realize its pretty much a crap-shoot, but I'm just trying to determine which 2 of those 3 weeks would give me the best chance of decent temps (at least double digits but not above the 30s Fahrenheit) and decent snow.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

laxski

I would go with the last week of Feb for a combo of best chance for good snow and not too cold but cold enough[/QUOTe.

1st weekend in Feb last year at Mt Snow gave us 55 and rain into Thurs then 20s and snowmaking recovery rest of the weekend.The other weekends you mentioned Snow,Snow and more Snow you just never know until you get a week or two out

fbrissette

Agreed with the comments above. Late February is your best bet. Third week of March is pushing your luck. Tremblant will get a bit less snow than the green Mountains but conditions are usually decent. If shopping and eating out are your things, Tremblant can't be beat in the Northeast. It can get cold AND windy... Not my favourite skiing destination, but definitely a resort worth checking out.

dlague

I have skied in mid February in the Eastern Townships and the temps were brutally cold. Then again, two years ago late February and early March were so warm the season ended early. I do think that late February is tough due to Vacation weeks in Quebec and the Northeast for that matter. I would go for it in the first week of March. Weather is unpredictable!

fbrissette

I have skied in mid February in the Eastern Townships and the temps were brutally cold. Then again, two years ago late February and early March were so warm the season ended early. I do think that late February is tough due to Vacation weeks in Quebec and the Northeast for that matter. I would go for it in the first week of March. Weather is unpredictable!

The first week of March is when most Quebec high school kids are on holiday. Ontario is mostly the second week of March. Definitely avoid those two weeks.

dlague

The first week of March is when most Quebec high school kids are on holiday. Ontario is mostly the second week of March. Definitely avoid those two weeks.

We ski during our vacation week at Jay Peak which is the last week of February and it lines up with Quebec every time! Trust me Jay Peak has tons of Montreal families that week!

The point I guess is Mid February to early March are commonly vacation weeks!

fbrissette

We ski during our vacation week at Jay Peak which is the last week of February and it lines up with Quebec every time! Trust me Jay Peak has tons of Montreal families that week!

The point I guess is Mid February to early March are commonly vacation weeks!

All public schools in the province of Quebec have their break during the first week of March
http://www.mels.gouv.qc.ca/sections/publications/publications/calendrier_scolaire_2013_2014.pdf

Some private high school have their winter break earlier or later but most will also have it first week of March not to make parents mad (with kids in different weeks). I am a season pass holder at Jay. If you think there are lots of francophones last week of February (and there are) do not try the first of March... you wouldn't even know you're in Vermont...

I fully agree with your second point.

snowmonster

Last week of February. Definitely. If you don't have a good snowpack then, the season's a goner. I did my Eastern Townships tour last season during Presidents' Day weekend. The local quebecois referred to it as US Vacation Week.

crank

IDK. I think the third week of March might be pretty good for Tremblant. It is nowhere near the Eastern Townships, further north and west. I have been during the second week of March and it was quite crowded with Ontario school breakers, but weather wise it was in the 20's (farenheight) and there was no loss of snow pack. They don't tend to get a ton of snow but what they get doesn't melt. They also stop making snow earlier in the season, but again, what they make doesn't melt.

mitchapalooza

Thanks to all for your replies. Based on this feedback I think I'll reserve the first and last weeks of February and hope one of those two will have good conditions. If the first looks like it's not good I will cancel and go the last week instead. I don't expect massive crowds either week since neither are holiday weeks for US (President's Week) or Canada school break (first 2 weeks of March).