• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

U.S. issues 'Do Not Travel' warning for Canada

abc

I highly advise everyone to follow CDC guidance and stay away from Revelstoke, Whistler, Kicking Horse and Lake Louise. Again, stay away in the name of covid.
Apart from Whistler, I didn't noticed many Americans in Lake Louise, even less in Kicking Horse.

But for that matter, I didn't run into too many of any nationality in Kicking Horse! ;) Just one empty mountain, apart from the 3 min gondola line at opening time.

da-bum

Went to Mexico last month, came back just as the US changed the rule on covid test for people returning. It didn't matter as they still allowed antigen test which you can get results within 15 minutes anywhere.

As for going to mexico, there is no covid testing requirements, so for a conference of 300, it is almost guaranteed that way more than one person would have covid right before going there. Its whether they infect other people or their test before returning will turn up positive.

fbrissette

kicking horse fucking rules. big boy skiing all over the place. 4000 foot runs that mostly start in technical chutes. love it.
Only big Canadian Mountain I had not skied. It's a kick ass mountain. No easy way down if your legs are shut. I had only skied a couple of mornings of icy goomers at Jay Peak prior to arriving. Not a good preparation. My entire body is sore trying to follow my son. There was a strong temperature inversion for the first two days. Really scenic. Very rugged place, incredible views. Closest thing to Jackson Hole in Canada.20220110_115003_026_saved.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Went to Mexico last month, came back just as the US changed the rule on covid test for people returning. It didn't matter as they still allowed antigen test which you can get results within 15 minutes anywhere.

As for going to mexico, there is no covid testing requirements, so for a conference of 300, it is almost guaranteed that way more than one person would have covid right before going there. Its whether they infect other people or their test before returning will turn up positive.

Our company is having every attendee test 24 hours pre-departure on Thursday. We fly in Friday. If you test positive you obviously don't go. We then take our test down there on Sunday before flying back Monday. They're issuing N95 masks to be worn at all times except for when eating or drinking throughout the event. So, the gamble is that as long as people show up clean and wear their masks and properly distance, hopefully folks don't catch Omicron during that 48 hour window.

If you test positive on Sunday you are relocated to the "hospital floor" of the hotel which is staffed with medical personnel. They retest you every day and you get to go home when you test negative or ten days have passed.

I'd be shocked if everyone remains clean and gets to go home given how contagious Omicron is even for the vaccinated. The question is how many will it be.

I also read this last night and suggested to my boss that the company order a large delivery for the event. Could help prevent infection and make the presentations more entertaining. 😆