• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

Mainer

It could be it’s 40 to 50 all week. The trail counts going to take a major hit. Felt like the end of season skiing today

Keelhauled

My mountain hasn't had an easy time getting everyone their 40 hours all winter. We're already sort of preparing to lose at least some of the natural snow terrain for the season after this week, barring a serious March turnaround. It doesn't really seem like a surprise that they'd be feeling overstaffed.

slatham

true. why would you shut shit down prior to feb school vaca though? for the experience of a life time ?.
Good question. Perhaps their MLK experience - wet and warm Thursday followed by weekend freeze up (sounds all too familiar doesn’t it) indicates a smaller Pres weekend/week crowd. And thereafter, especially without a major pattern change, they’re in wind down mode anyhow.

Hope they get caught flat footed with a miracle March for the record books!

drjeff

Waiting for Dr Jeff to pour the vail koolaid...
Really F ing missed not being able to get a mountain muffin around 8 today.... The F&B cutbacks are apparently real and STUPID! F&B has made a ton of absolutely dumb decisions this season for sure. Hope those overseeing F&B are either let go or get the Broomfield based pole out of their butts and stop making numerous reactionary based bean counter driven choices over reality. Not a happy camper

deadheadskier

Staff member
Really F ing missed not bring able to get a mountain muffin around 8 today.... The F&B cutbacks are apparently real and STUPID! F&B has made a ton of absolutely dumb decisions this season for sure. Hope those overseeing F&B are either let go or get the Broomfield based pole out of their butts and stop making numerous reactionary based bean counter driven choices over reality. Not a happy camper

Quoted for posterity.

I'm not sure a Dr Jeff Mt Snow body slam has ever happened since AZ was a twinkle in Greg's eye. Haha

Probably won't get let go. Probably promoted to GM somewhere

ThatGuy

Broomfield loves bean counters. My mans getting a promotion.

Sucks for the workers too.

jimmywilson69

I've heard the same information out of roundtop regarding staff cutbacks. I assumed it was the spring we've had instead of winter. We might only make it to the first weekend of March. There's only been 2 real snow making windows and temps as high as the mid 60s this week...

It sucks if they're cutting back everywhere before next week. Totally clueless about the east, still I guess...

snoseek

I'm told the bar at Wildcat is closed Mondays and Tuesdays now but cant confirm. They have the help and that place has to make money on any given day so why does Vail hate making money?

Ok just checked its right on the website no bar Monday and Tuesday....

Edd

I'm told the bar at Wildcat is closed Mondays and Tuesdays now but cant confirm. They have the help and that place has to make money on any given day so why does Vail hate making money?

Ok just checked its right on the website no bar Monday and Tuesday....
Friends of mine wanted to join the mug club for next year now that the bar finally opened but their days off are Mon/Tue so they’re bummed.

trackbiker

Broomfield loves bean counters. My mans getting a promotion.

Sucks for the workers too.
Vail is publicly traded company. Why would anyone think their goal is to keep skiers happy? They already have your money. It's all about the bottom line and keeping the stockholders happy.
I worked for two companies that were very well run and very profitable. The presidents realized that sometimes you have to spend money to make money and it usually pays in the long run to keep customers happy even if it cost a little in the short run. When they retired, corporate brought in bean counters who didn't understand the business at all, cut costs at every opportunity not looking at any potential results of the cost cutting, and only looked at the next quarters profitability. Two years later they had run the businesses into the ground and likely moved on to run another business into the ground.
Vail's plan is not sustainable. They can't maintain the growth they have experienced in the last few years. The major stockholders will likely cut bait soon and leave someone else holding the bag. They'll walk away with millions and move onto another similar project.

machski

So let me get this straight. Last season, Vail had a staffing problem. Too low pay, required the jab, HR remote from Broomfield was a disaster. So this year they jack pay, tell/Guarantee J1's and others minimum hours a week, tweak the HR and claim fully staffed. Now we are hearing hours are not being met, staff could be let go early, closing down F&B options. Hmm, yeah, Vail resorts will be fully up to par next season. Go get those Epic passes when they drop!! Not.