• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

FBGM

Does anyone know what happened to epicliftlines IG account? No use all winter. Did they get some sort of legal threat from Vail?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does anyone know what happened to epicliftlines IG account? No use all winter. Did they get some sort of legal threat from Vail?

"Nice Insta Account you have there. Real cute. It'd be a shame if my bud Zuckerberg killed it or somethin'."

m0417_ft_katz_a-8ab08bf0-ae87-4faa-808b-c8bfc0b46207.jpg

jimmck

thebigo

Been meaning to post this for days.

Ragged had 140 kids from all over New England registered for a U10 race Saturday on village green. Knew there was an issue when we arrived early for gate judge duty and the six pack was not spinning. Per my understanding a belt failed, also overhead it referred to as a pulley. Ragged attempted to replace from stock but replacement also failed. A call via GM to Sunapee found the required belt in their stock. Sunapee sent an employee with the part to meet a ragged employee half way. Ragged got the part installed and was subsequently able to host an excellent event for the kids. Vail still sucks but there are a bunch of good people working in the industry.

FBGM

drjeff

Ragged had 140 kids from all over New England registered for a U10 race Saturday on village green. Knew there was an issue when we arrived early for gate judge duty and the six pack was not spinning. Per my understanding a belt failed, also overhead it referred to as a pulley. Ragged attempted to replace from stock but replacement also failed. A call via GM to Sunapee found the required belt in their stock. Sunapee sent an employee with the part to meet a ragged employee half way. Ragged got the part installed and was subsequently able to host an excellent event for the kids. Vail still sucks but there are a bunch of good people working in the industry.
Glad to hear of the in industry reciprocity that exists!

And Gate Judge BigO?? ;):rolleyes::LOL: You've been to enough races by now to know that you want to avoid that job if at all possible! ;)

Trust me when I say that you should do yourself a favor and take the courses to become a USSSA Alpine Official as well as get your USSSA timing certification - the courses take a combined 4 or 5hrs, and then once you have your certification you can get out of gate judge duty and work at your kids races as either a starter or timer. And especially with a finish timer, you often get to be inside a finish shack with a portable heater running rather than being out on the hill in the elements for the duration of the race! Much more comfortable if I do say so myself! :) That or course maintenace, since you get a bunch of laps in on race day that way

thetrailboss

Staff member

"Bravo. Isn't that nice? But you missed the whole point--now Ragged owes ME!"

vailkatz9*1200xx3413-1919-0-358.jpg

ThatGuy

From the Mount Snow passholders group…

Good evening! With the permission of the administrator and the members of the group, I come to tell you a little bit about the situation in the mountain, where I have been working as J1 for 3 seasons and it makes me sad to see how they are sending everything down the toilet. Just to put you guys in context, most if not all of us J1 are students in our countries of origin either (Argentina, Paraguay, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, etc). That we paid a very large sum of money approximately 3 thousand dollars to be able to live this experience of "Work and Travel". Now if I tell you what is happening, this all started at the end of January, where we are informed (for no apparent reason) that they will be cutting hours and laying off staff. At the beginning of February they confirm that they will close the Iron Loft Restaurant (for all this I work in Carinthia). So it affected us a lot when it closed as they moved all the people upstairs to Cafeteria Carinthia, although we had already been informed, the whole situation itself seemed very strange to us as we received a large number of tourists and locals who they came to ski and the snow conditions were good compared to the previous season. After all this, a wave of unfair dismissals began to unleash more towards J1, we soon found out that this was all over the mountain and that they also began to cut hours in all departments (F&B, Lifts operations, rentals, housekeeping, etc). But our F&B department was the most affected. Another thing we found out later was that they had laid off all the snow makers team. But this was just the tip of the iceberg, they held a meeting again where they informed us that we would no longer have breakfast for the guests and that the cafeterias would only open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. which was crazy since these are the times when we receive the most people, we had to stop several guests trying to grab food for this reason. And the craziest thing of all is that no one shows their faces and comes out to explain what is really happening. This is a business that, seeing how far it is from making losses, makes a lot of profits (I mean, you saw the prices). I am very sorry that this season has ended in this way, I have friends, very nice people that I met here who are returning to their country or are looking for a place to work more than 10 hours (which is what they are giving us in the mountain) I have friends that not even the rent of their house can pay for what they choose to return to their countries.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the Mount Snow passholders group…

Good evening! With the permission of the administrator and the members of the group, I come to tell you a little bit about the situation in the mountain, where I have been working as J1 for 3 seasons and it makes me sad to see how they are sending everything down the toilet. Just to put you guys in context, most if not all of us J1 are students in our countries of origin either (Argentina, Paraguay, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, etc). That we paid a very large sum of money approximately 3 thousand dollars to be able to live this experience of "Work and Travel". Now if I tell you what is happening, this all started at the end of January, where we are informed (for no apparent reason) that they will be cutting hours and laying off staff. At the beginning of February they confirm that they will close the Iron Loft Restaurant (for all this I work in Carinthia). So it affected us a lot when it closed as they moved all the people upstairs to Cafeteria Carinthia, although we had already been informed, the whole situation itself seemed very strange to us as we received a large number of tourists and locals who they came to ski and the snow conditions were good compared to the previous season. After all this, a wave of unfair dismissals began to unleash more towards J1, we soon found out that this was all over the mountain and that they also began to cut hours in all departments (F&B, Lifts operations, rentals, housekeeping, etc). But our F&B department was the most affected. Another thing we found out later was that they had laid off all the snow makers team. But this was just the tip of the iceberg, they held a meeting again where they informed us that we would no longer have breakfast for the guests and that the cafeterias would only open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. which was crazy since these are the times when we receive the most people, we had to stop several guests trying to grab food for this reason. And the craziest thing of all is that no one shows their faces and comes out to explain what is really happening. This is a business that, seeing how far it is from making losses, makes a lot of profits (I mean, you saw the prices). I am very sorry that this season has ended in this way, I have friends, very nice people that I met here who are returning to their country or are looking for a place to work more than 10 hours (which is what they are giving us in the mountain) I have friends that not even the rent of their house can pay for what they choose to return to their countries.
Admittedly I’m posting Rob Katz memes, but can anyone independently verify what is being said here?

Earlier this year we had somebody post about the parking situation at Stowe, and then a post circulated that was attributed to an employee of the parking management company. However, I’ve seen some comments that that post might have been a spoof. Just wanted to be sure we understand what is really happening here. If this all checks out then this is pretty bad.

icecoast1

Admittedly I’m posting Rob Katz memes, but can anyone independently verify what is being said here?

Earlier this year we had somebody post about the parking situation at Stowe, and then a post circulated that was attributed to an employee of the parking management company. However, I’ve seen some comments that that post might have been a spoof. Just wanted to be sure we understand what is really happening here. If this all checks out then this is pretty bad.
I'm in the mount snow pass holders group on Facebook, there's been multiple posts like this from several different people. I highly doubt it's fake. Not to mention there's been links posted here about vail pulling this crap at other resorts

njdiver85

This is really happening at Mount Snow. I've gotten the same story directly from multiple Mount Snow employees over the last three weeks.

FBGM

Im curious how/what contract they have with the J1 visa? I had 6 J1 visas this year and they all got 32+ hrs regardless. They “had” to work and if they didn’t they would still be “on books paid”