• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ThatGuy

I think they get a bonus if they find someone using another persons pass but I’m not sure…

drjeff

At Stowe they’ll ask your name to verify and are pretty diligent with scanning…at Mount Snow they have three+ people shooting the scan-guns in all directions like a scene from a Tarantino movie and don’t even bother looking most of the time
If you were to skin up you could ride North Face all day without a single scan
Those scanners give the users tons of info. If you are curious how many days your pass has been used this season, just ask them when they scan you. That data, along with your pass picture, name and age all pop up on the scanner, so in theory, even if they don't ask you your name, and a say 45yr old father accidentally grabs his 7yr old daughters pass, they should notice.

Guessing the phone app version will have the same, if not more, data available for the scanners to check

ThatGuy

Those scanners give the users tons of info. If you are curious how many days your pass has been used this season, just ask them when they scan you. That data, along with your pass picture, name and age all pop up on the scanner, so in theory, even if they don't ask you your name, and a say 45yr old father accidentally grabs his 7yr old daughters pass, they should notice.

Guessing the phone app version will have the same, if not more, data available for the scanners to check
The epicmix app has that data

urungus

I know most kids have phones but what if they don’t? I didn’t read the article.
Aren’t there some people on here without phones?
If I or my children don’t use a smartphone, what are some other options for lift access?
Guests will still be able to use their physical pass media cards to access the mountain.

from https://www.epicpass.com/app.aspx

ThatGuy

I know most kids have phones but what if they don’t? I didn’t read the article.
Aren’t there some people on here without phones?
My phone dies after a few hours without charging since the battery is so degraded…guess I’ll have to pack a portable charger to ski

RH29

I used a couple unused Epic day passes (for various family members) with friends at Mount Snow. Even though it was grown men using the pass that was supposedly for a 10 year old, we never were questioned and had no issues with the scanning. These weren't the full epics, though.

jimmywilson69

There is ZERO chance I'm using my phone as a pass. There is nothing wrong with the card I have. this is useless technology for technologys sake. They have signs calling the lift maze a "No Phone Zone" Now this stupid ass idea is going to have tons of people digging for their phones while in the line.

I'm sure its some sort of sustainability BS. Like not printing those cards is going to make a dent in plastic use...

drjeff

Phone free zone means don't have your phone out trying to take a selfie as you're getting on the lift... just get on the damn lift!

It doesn't mean that you can't have your phone with you inside your pocket.

Just like most things that change these days... 90% won't have an issue with it. 10% will go full curmudgeon about it... Kind of similar to the ratio of AZ posts! 🤣🤣

oldfartrider

They said right from the start that you didn’t have to use the phone ap and could retain the physical pass

jimmywilson69

Phone free zone means don't have your phone out trying to take a selfie as you're getting on the lift... just get on the damn lift!

It doesn't mean that you can't have your phone with you inside your pocket.

I know what they mean by phone free zone. But when there are scanning issues people are going to be fumbling with their phones slowing down the line. This is dumb...

hovercraft

Besides the fact that Vail said from the first email that went out when introducing this OPTION that you can use your physical pass if you wanted to, do you really think other resorts won’t offer this up as well in the future?