• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

4aprice

If a Season Pass holder cant ski any day he/she wants (as long as it's not on a pre-agreed blackout), then WTH is the point of a season pass?
Don't disagree. Like I said I don't know the answers, only think things need to be tweaked in relation to high use days (holidays,, powder etc) and beginner/novice skiers (I know one off your big issues). In my situation, I checked Winter Park (which will really be my home mountain when I get out there) and a season pass is an Ikon. Not sure about Steamboat or Copper. Tiers are already in place. I currently get the highest tier because of a connection that allows me to ski Aspen annually. One of these days I'll purchase an Epic to ski Key/Breck and Vail//Beaver. So I feel a little, I'm part of the problem because I'm a customer for the mega pass product.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Don't disagree. Like I said I don't know the answers, only think things need to be tweaked in relation to high use days (holidays,, powder etc) and beginner/novice skiers (I know one off your big issues). In my situation, I checked Winter Park (which will really be my home mountain when I get out there) and a season pass is an Ikon. Not sure about Steamboat or Copper. Tiers are already in place. I currently get the highest tier because of a connection that allows me to ski Aspen annually. One of these days I'll purchase an Epic to ski Key/Breck and Vail//Beaver. So I feel a little, I'm part of the problem because I'm a customer for the mega pass product.
The last time I looked, Steamboat did have a Steamboat-only pass. It was pricey and they set it up so that one would want to do IKON.

thebigo

Crystal is Alterra owned but limited to 7 days on Ikon. Unlimited pass is $1900, the price jumps to $3900 if you want to include parking.

23/24 CRYSTAL PREMIER PASS​

Priced at $3,899, score the ultimate package of unlimited access to Crystal Mountain, a full Ikon Pass with access to 50+ destinations, plus an A-Lot parking permit with no blackout dates. Explore the Crystal Premier Pass for the ultimate winter experience!

4aprice

Crystal is Alterra owned but limited to 7 days on Ikon. Unlimited pass is $1900, the price jumps to $3900 if you want to include parking.

23/24 CRYSTAL PREMIER PASS​

Priced at $3,899, score the ultimate package of unlimited access to Crystal Mountain, a full Ikon Pass with access to 50+ destinations, plus an A-Lot parking permit with no blackout dates. Explore the Crystal Premier Pass for the ultimate winter experience!
Parking more then the pass. That says something. (have heard of Crystal's parking woes.)

thebigo

If my memory is any good, Boyne spun Crystal off to one of the Kircher brothers effectively buying out his share of Boyne. John Kircher then turned around and sold it to Alterra a year later. Alterra made Crystal unlimited on Ikon and it was absolutely overrun. Locals rebelled and the current pass structure was the result.

This is the solution to megapass overcrowding. Buy a pass to one mountain with benefits at other properties, not an unlimited pass at a bunch of places.

4aprice

This is the solution to megapass overcrowding. Buy a pass to one mountain with benefits at other properties, not an unlimited pass at a bunch of places.
Not something I would be totally against. For instance we do a week in Cottonwood Heights every year and I love have the skiing paid for but don't need more then 3 days at any of the areas there. I could go for a more regional pass like the old US 40 pass they used to sell which was unlimited at Winter Park, Copper and Steamboat, then 3 days at other participating areas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Parking more then the pass. That says something. (have heard of Crystal's parking woes.)
It's completely in line with what Alterra's CEO was saying. Like going to a concert, you now have to pay for the additional perks. And at Crystal, Parking is one of them now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If my memory is any good, Boyne spun Crystal off to one of the Kircher brothers effectively buying out his share of Boyne. John Kircher then turned around and sold it to Alterra a year later. Alterra made Crystal unlimited on Ikon and it was absolutely overrun. Locals rebelled and the current pass structure was the result.

That is a fairly accurate synopsis. Most of us diehards knew of the major issues with Crystal. The only reason why Alterra did not get more flak was because public attention was focused on Steven's Pass and its major Fail issues. Once again, just one step better than Vail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
1693326793466.png

"Looks like I have a new fanboy!"

20190318_LeadershipLecture_Propst_153-1024x732.jpg

Attachments

• 1693326392871.png
    1693326392871.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

jimmywilson69

As long as they staff the mountain and run all of these lifts then I would say its a win! They haven't quite done that yet though...

KustyTheKlown

i think the mountain collective model but with more days (which was the MAX pass model) is the answer.

unlimited nowhere, a few days (4?) at tons of places, regional clustering so people don't need a single resort with full access, AND the ability to add on the mulit pass to any participating resorts full season pass product.

deadheadskier

Staff member
View attachment 58937

"Looks like I have a new fanboy!"

20190318_LeadershipLecture_Propst_153-1024x732.jpg

Alex is a local to Gunstock, but also has Epic. Sweet young man with autism who loves nothing more than skiing. He is so positive and upbeat all the time, Katz could take a dump on his head and Alex would call it powder.

Unfortunately, many people on social media rip on him for his fluffing. Probably because they don't know about his developmental differences.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Alex is a local to Gunstock, but also has Epic. Sweet young man with autism who loves nothing more than skiing. He is so positive and upbeat all the time, Katz could take a dump on his head and Alex would call it powder.

Unfortunately, many people on social media rip on him for his fluffing. Probably because they don't know about his developmental differences.
Good to know.

4aprice

i think the mountain collective model but with more days (which was the MAX pass model) is the answer.

unlimited nowhere, a few days (4?) at tons of places, regional clustering so people don't need a single resort with full access, AND the ability to add on the mulit pass to any participating resorts full season pass product.
More of a A la Carte menu. I agree with a lot of that. Would like to see more of a regional aspect however. Where I'm going, I love having unlimited at Winter Park, Steamboat and Copper (The old US 40 Pass) but really don't need more then 3 days at any other destination.

snoseek

I've always viewed his post as sorta trolling if we're being honest. That and he's onto just about every imaginable group...including town pages and job boards posting about either vail, Shaws or prime rib. He seems like a really nice guy and it's all somewhat entertaining but mostly irrelevant.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've always viewed his post as sorta trolling if we're being honest. That and he's onto just about every imaginable group...including town pages and job boards posting about either vail, Shaws or prime rib. He seems like a really nice guy and it's all somewhat entertaining but mostly irrelevant.
I thought that his name sounded familiar....

But hey, Meme Rob Katz loves ANY attention he can get.

Edd

How in the hell do you know him? My wife introduced us once when we hiked to the summit and he was there.