• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

Yeah FourRunner is still first to open but you can park free at Toll House then take the shuttle

I avoid taking a shuttle from my condo at Sugarbush to the mountain...and my condo is closer to the LP base than Toll House is to the Mansfield base at Stowe...

ThatGuy

I avoid taking a shuttle from my condo at Sugarbush to the mountain...and my condo is closer to the LP base than Toll House is to the Mansfield base at Stowe...
I don’t mind the shuttle too much but would prefer to not use one either. Its nice to use your car as a base lodge and some shuttle lots make that impossible

Smellytele

cdskier

At Attitash last year, some guys printed up high quality parking passes.
Took them until March to figure it out.....
Stowe doesn't use physical parking passes. They track whether you paid based on the license plate. Only way around it is to get the code that gives you "free" parking that day for carpooling and enter that into the system to register your vehicle as paid.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
when does vail usually announce new lifts? dont see anything for next summer.

Liftblog posted the date but I forget. Should be very very soon, before the end of the month.

I can't imagine much being in the works for the northeast besides the Attitash summit lift. Off the top of my head the most critical improvement needed at the Vail ne properties is probably a hsq on the north face at Mount Snow or Lookout replacement at Stowe. Everything else is pretty dialed in.

drjeff

when does vail usually announce new lifts? dont see anything for next summer.
Typically in 2 phases. They usually announce some of their planned upgrades for the following season during their Q3 earnings report which is scheduled for next week on the 28th, and then other items get announced in the January - early March timeframe ahead of the next year's Epic Pass announcement..

deadheadskier

Staff member
Liftblog posted the date but I forget. Should be very very soon, before the end of the month.

I can't imagine much being in the works for the northeast besides the Attitash summit lift. Off the top of my head the most critical improvement needed at the Vail ne properties is probably a hsq on the north face at Mount Snow or Lookout replacement at Stowe. Everything else is pretty dialed in.

I can't speak to Mt Snow. I don't ski there nor ever really plan to. I don't really agree on Lookout being a high priority as a primarily a backup and overflow lift that sees very few hours use in a season. Let's hope it's not a priority as when that gets replaced, they are sure to neuter the hell out of the Lookout trail.

Vail Northeast lifts that should be a priority first and foremost in my experience

Sunapee - place is in need of increased lift capacity more than anywhere. Replace summit quad with an 8 or 6. Likely a 6 as Vail doesn't seem into 8s for some reason. Original plan was to save that quad for West bowl expansion, but if that's not going to happen, move it to North Peak instead of the planned FG4 for there.

West Double at Crotched. Lift is ancient and is their most critical lift for beginners

Bobcat at Wildcat: put a carpet load FG4 in there. Lift is old and slow as balls. Speeding it up some will help syphon traffic from the summit quad. As is, it's the same lift ride time as the HSQ for 1/3rd the vert.

Cat Summit Quad: getting close to 30 years old and is used year round.

Those would be my first 5 I'd look at replacing

doublediamond

When Bobcat is replaced, it’s got to be re-engineered to solve the tunnel then uphill climb issue. Wild Kitten (other than that one pitch) is an ideal next step after Snowcat. But the slog to it from the top of Bobcat is deadly.

Since there’s less racing than back in the day, have the top terminal on skier’s left of that big junction. If/when there is a race traversing that intersection, still run the lift. Wild Kitten, Lower Wildcat, etc. will be easily served. And they can have a ski thru like on Main Street at Stowe if you want to get to Lower Catapult/Copy Cat/Alley Cat.

Bonus points if they regrade Wild Kitten just before it spills out into Lower Wildcat.