• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

kingslug

After running for 20 years,most machines are nearing the end of life. You can keep them running with constant maintenance, but metal fatigue kicks in and after a while...failure gets more frequent. These lifts operate in a very harsh environment.
No different than cars. You don't see a lot of 25 to 35 year old cars on the road anymore except at car shows.
Except this one in the parking lot of our condo now...with a ski rack on the roof...View attachment 61640
20240313_102742.jpg

MidnightJester

Vail Resorts Q2 2024 Financial Results: Skier Visits Down 10%, But Income Up 5% Despite 42% Lower Snowfall​

In its latest financial update, released on Monday, Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN) has detailed its financial performance for the second quarter of fiscal 2024, ending March 3, 2024, along with insights into its season pass sales, lodging trends, and comprehensive plans for the upcoming year.

Last edited:

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

We went to PC a few weeks ago and it was very crowded. We got stuck on the Iron Mountain lift for 30 minutes until they got it running again. Funny, we ski 80 plus days/yr. for the last several years and have never got stuck on a lift that long. 5 days at PC and we got stuck for 30 minutes.
I went on liftblog and looked at their lifts and PC Canyons has a ton of High speed lifts that are over 25 yrs old.

BenedictGomez

We got stuck on the Iron Mountain lift for 30 minutes until they got it running again.

I spent the entire afternoon lapping McKonkey's Express, the conditions were so outstanding there was no need to go elsewhere. But there were at least 4 or 5 occasions where the lift stopped for at least 30 or more seconds. The lift issues here are everywhere.

thetrailboss

Staff member
SAM Magazine had this (panic) article for ski areas on Monday. Looks like Vail and Alterra are both targets.

thetrailboss

Staff member
While no one on this or any other ski forum is the target audience for this program, I really can't believe they think this is something that is going to make them money...

https://www.myepicgear.com/membership/pricing.aspx
"You just wait--it is going to be EPIC!"

Rob-and-Ski.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: zyk

AdironRider

While no one on this or any other ski forum is the target audience for this program, I really can't believe they think this is something that is going to make them money...

There is a surprising amount of demand for this. Notably, every skier from the sun belt. My aunt, who lives in Florida, is a great example. She skis once every two years for a week. It makes no sense for her to buy a ski kit that is just going to gather dust in closet for years between uses and ultimately deteriorate, when for significantly less cost can get up to date gear that she also doesn't need to travel with. Bonus points if they will come deliver it at home with the ski butler rental delivery or have it waiting in locker (that she will also rent) for her.

The market for those types of services is much larger than any of us diehards realize.

cdskier

I saw the e-mail yesterday and clicked on the pricing out of curiosity. Anyone skiing more than a week or so per a year are clearly not their target audience (unless you're someone that likes the flexibility of using a different ski every day I guess). But I could see this being popular with people that only ski a handful of days a year. They'd always be on the newest skis, etc. Granted in the long run they're paying more than if they just bought a set of skis and used it for multiple years. But there's also a nice convenience factor for this demographic of not needing to lug skis around or store them.

2Planker

My college roommate lives on St John, USVI's and has been doing something similar every year for the last 8-10 years when they go to UT or CO for 10-14 days every year.

Sure beats lugging gear for two all the way from the tropics, (Ferry, Prop plane, 2-3 normal flights)

Last edited:

thebigo

Figure this is aimed at business travelers. Spent a good deal of time in the Pacific northwest earlier in my career. There was often a day that I could have skied but never bothered hauling my gear and did not want the hassle of renting. Reserving skis ahead of time at a pass mountain for quick pickup would have been compelling.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pro Tip: when using your EPIC pass, be sure that you have booked your plane ticket home. Don't try to sneak on a plane by using a picture of someone's boarding pass.....