• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

snoseek

So in related Vail sucks news... Read the fine print on the multi pack tickets sold in the fall. Turns out they're only good at some places. Wife bought them for me as a gift (she's awesome). Tried to burn the last one at Hunter. No good and $105 for an empty Thursday with much of the mountain closed. I did not buy a ticket. If I'm lucky I can get back to Wildcat before the season ends. Such is life. I've had a great year just hate seeing a pass go to waste.
So I can get how all that can be confusing but it sounds like they didn't really read up on what they were purchasing. Nh hills are in the same price point as the Midwest ones and honestly are a good buy but it was fairly straight forward when I was looking in the fall.

SLyardsale

That is........ inaccurate.

I just Googled two popular local places, without an exhaustive search, literally just the first two I clicked on, and it's $30.44 and $35.96 per day. I presume all the other non-Vail places will be $30 - $40 or so as well.

Hell, I put my daughter in an "Entire Childhood" package this season. It's $400 for 10 years (yes, YEARS, boots & skis). Ski rental really isnt that expensive.
correct. my oldest lives in broomfield. when i was out there in december, skis were 25 bucks at the local hardware store / bobcat rental place. i brought my boots. nothing fancy - but perfect for the 2 days i was there. plus, if you need a bobcat, backhoe, crane AND skis, it would be one stop shopping. linky : https://broomfieldrentalsinc.com/

broom rental.JPG

cdskier

3 Different levels of day passes. If someone didn't read that they have no one else to blame but themselves(or whomever bought the ticket).
Yea...assuming we're talking about Epic Day passes, the website literally shows you which resorts the pass is valid at as you select the different levels while you're purchasing them. Can't blame Vail for that one at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hell, I put my daughter in an "Entire Childhood" package this season. It's $400 for 10 years (yes, YEARS, boots & skis). Ski rental really isnt that expensive.

That's wildly cheap. I pay $99 a season per kid for the full setup. Though this season I bought my son some skis that'll last him two seasons and then eventually go to his sister.

Of course the kids see me and my multiple pairs and always ask when they are getting a second pair. Haha

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ok
That is........ inaccurate.

I just Googled two popular local places, without an exhaustive search, literally just the first two I clicked on, and it's $30.44 and $35.96 per day. I presume all the other non-Vail places will be $30 - $40 or so as well.

We got a similar deal for our daughter.

BenedictGomez

That's wildly cheap. I pay $99 a season per kid for the full setup.

Supposedly the guy does it because he wants all kids to be able to learn. And the hope is by generating family foot traffic when you come in maybe you'll buy a pair of gloves or something else occasionally too.

Good program though, if your kid has a November - April growth spurt you just bring the stuff in and the swap out's complimentary. And you dont return your equipment at the end of the ski season, you come in the following fall if you need to, or you just keep it another year if the shoe size's the same.

thetrailboss

Staff member
“For all you haters out there, read this article written by my girl Berklee! Stay EPIC my friends!!!”

Vail CEO schusses through criticism – The Denver Post
Vail CEO schusses through criticism – The Denver Post

Edd

I gave up on that place. Too many people even on a midweek day they fill the chairs. Trails too crowded with shitty skiers. It's loon level bad imo.
If you live in NH and Sunapee is no good than I get bailing on the Epic. It’s handy in southern NH. Still pondering options myself.

chuckstah

Epic day at sunapee.
I ended up at Sunapee today, and never waited more than 4-5 minutes. It certainly wasn't my first choice, or second, but it worked to get in a few runs. First choice was Cannon, sold out. Figured Waterville might work, friend reported cars parked far down the access road. So Sunapee at 11 ish. Found a decent spot as someone was leaving. All lifts were finally running, so no line at the triple. 4-5 minutes on Sun Bowl. Never tried the main quad. Trails were definitely crowded beyond my tolerance, which is low, but there was nobody in the woods. Still untracked around in some of the unmapped stuff. Fun day. Screenshot_20240324-135431.pngScreenshot_20240324-135353.pngScreenshot_20240324-135342.png

snoseek

It's just so damn consistent. I think I like ragged as a close option better and I like the 5 days at jay...yeah I'm so bad this time of year about what to do.

chuckstah

For me in Southern NH for skiing in the one hour +/- range, it's Crotched, Pat's, Sunapee (and Wachusett I guess, but no). Ragged, Gunstock, Tenney add a bit. Then it's Waterville, Loon, Cannon going to the hour and a half range. Epic and Indy make sense. I'll drive for the goods when warranted, but having close options is a must. Probably same as usual passes for next year.

BenedictGomez

Yet another Vail Resorts lawsuit surely incoming.
A kid fell off the OBX @ Canyons a few hours ago, apparently falling 25 or 30 feet & partially hitting the ski patrol's landing pad. Condition currently unknown.

EDIT: Apparently they took the child to SLC, which is not great news, because if it was just a broken arm or something they would go to Intermountain PC.

Last edited: