• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

abc

It is one per car. One problem with it is that people are making reservations in their name, their dog's name, their cousin's name, etc. to maximize their options. So there are now no spots left.
I guess I'm missing something. Why does anyone need more than one reservation?

skiur

It is one per car. One problem with it is that people are making reservations in their name, their dog's name, their cousin's name, etc. to maximize their options. So there are now no spots left.

This is just not true, getting a parking rez at K has not been a problem. Even on Saturdays. It's 8:30 Saturday morning right now an I can get a rez at K for today.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is just not true, getting a parking rez at K has not been a problem. Even on Saturdays. It's 8:30 Saturday morning right now an I can get a rez at K for today.
Here's the thing--Killington it IS working. Snowbird it is NOT. The difference? Who is calling the shots.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I guess I'm missing something. Why does anyone need more than one reservation?
Because each person can only have seven made in advance. The "week of" they don't have any limits. So folks in November booked every weekend of the season using their name, their dog's name, their cat's name, etc.

xlr8r

Looks wild, how were the crowds?
I was also at Attitash today and will be there tomorrow as well. Crowds were manageable. The only real lines were at Flying Bear which got to be about 15 minutes long (full corral) late morning. But after noon Flying Bear was averaging more like a 5 minutes. Conditions were very good, prime carving snow

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Here's the thing--Killington it IS working. Snowbird it is NOT. The difference? Who is calling the shots.

IDK man. I understand you're upset about Snowbird and the reservation system....but you seem to think this is an inside job or something? I just think the fact is Killington can handle a crapload more people than Snowbird in pretty much every aspect. More lifts, more lodges, more parking, more roads in. Most of the infrastructure was built/upgraded/designed for the million skier visit years at K. What's Snowbird get for annual visitation? Better question...what were they getting for skier visits when they built out the resort and how much has demand increased since then? You say yourself it's exploded in the 10ish years you've been out there.

I'm not trying to be snarky....I'd like to hear your side of the story. And my questions are legitimate- I don't know the answers about visits and when Snowbird was built out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
IDK man. I understand you're upset about Snowbird and the reservation system....but you seem to think this is an inside job or something? I just think the fact is Killington can handle a crapload more people than Snowbird in pretty much every aspect. More lifts, more lodges, more parking, more roads in. Most of the infrastructure was built/upgraded/designed for the million skier visit years at K. What's Snowbird get for annual visitation? Better question...what were they getting for skier visits when they built out the resort and how much has demand increased since then? You say yourself it's exploded in the 10ish years you've been out there.

I'm not trying to be snarky....I'd like to hear your side of the story. And my questions are legitimate- I don't know the answers about visits and when Snowbird was built out.
The point is John Cumming is the problem. Remember when he was running Killington with his friend Nyberg? I remember people were pretty angry, like death threats angry. Well, John stepped back and handed it to Mike Solimano and has let him run things. In the meantime, John has come to Snowbird and has cut pay, resulting in a loss of a lot of staff, fully embraced IKON, made lots of dumb changes, and has implemented the parking reservation system pissing off passholders even more. Yes, access has always been an issue. But ever since a certain IKONic pass product emerged it has become much more of an issue. You must not have seen that right before Christmas I told everyone here how I could find parking any day of the holiday week at Killington but there were no open dates at Snowbird until late March. That's messed up. Honestly he needs to move on to another project.

JimG.

Staff member
Goes to show it's hard to understand the emotion when it's not "your" mountain.

And I agree that is messed up.

Tonyr

This is exactly why I paid a little extra to stay on the mountain at Snowbird, I didn't want to mess with the parking reservations. How does this have anything to do with "Vail Sucking" though?!

NYDB

This is exactly why I paid a little extra to stay on the mountain at Snowbird, I didn't want to mess with the parking reservations. How does this have anything to do with "Vail Sucking" though?!
It doesn't. But he is mad because he wants bcc and lcc to stay like they were 15 years ago and blames ikon. If he were honest about it he would also blame all the people who moved to the SLC area from 2000 on seeking the same thing he is. The population boom in UT is not a good trend for sleepy powder days. Too late to the party and mad as hell.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It doesn't. But he is mad because he wants bcc and lcc to stay like they were 15 years ago and blames ikon. If he were honest about it he would also blame all the people who moved to the SLC area from 2000 on seeking the same thing he is. The population boom in UT is not a good trend for sleepy powder days. Too late to the party and mad as hell.
Population growth is an issue. As is IKON.

kingslug

Its gotten bad enough to kill any plan for us to move there. CO is more likely some day..From there I can hit UT and WY. Just goes to show how great Utah is..cause they sure arent moving to Cali....

thetrailboss

Staff member
Its gotten bad enough to kill any plan for us to move there. CO is more likely some day..From there I can hit UT and WY. Just goes to show how great Utah is..cause they sure arent moving to Cali....
Where in CO are you thinking?

McFatt

The whales on Avenger looked like a buried Godzilla yesterday! This weekend finally felt like a normal ski season. The lifts were all mostly open. Much more terrain finally spreading people out. Has a smile on my face all day Sunday once that sun got high enough to warm things up. Crowds were nothing compared to a few weeks ago. More snow coming this week and it's just gonna keep getting better. Almost makes me forget about the shitshow first 6 weeks of the season.