• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

eatskisleep

Not the Onion:

Vail skier Tanner Miller was recently scolded by a line attendant for using his device in the Phone Free Zone at Chair 2 in Vail.

Miller said he couldn’t help but feel slightly insulted as an initial reaction.

“They won’t even let me fight the boredom of their enormous lift line by checking Epic Mix,” he said. “And this is coming from the same resort that equipped the gondola with WiFi.”

machski

Wow. Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch. According to LiftBlog, Vail has apparently "updated" the Attitash trail map to remove the East and West Double Doubles and add the yet-to-be built Progression Quad. What the actual fuck?!

I don't think Vail has any intention of running the Double Double again. The Quad to replace that IS going in this summer. Yes, I know that was mentioned on the forest service app along with the Cripple replacement, but the Double-Double isn't into Forest service land. Probably just an additive to context the summit lift too.

eatskisleep

I don't think Vail has any intention of running the Double Double again. The Quad to replace that IS going in this summer. Yes, I know that was mentioned on the forest service app along with the Cripple replacement, but the Double-Double isn't into Forest service land. Probably just an additive to context the summit lift too.
Good discussion here:

pinion

Not the Onion:

Vail skier Tanner Miller was recently scolded by a line attendant for using his device in the Phone Free Zone at Chair 2 in Vail.

Miller said he couldn’t help but feel slightly insulted as an initial reaction.

“They won’t even let me fight the boredom of their enormous lift line by checking Epic Mix,” he said. “And this is coming from the same resort that equipped the gondola with WiFi.”
While it makes sense that they want guests focused during the loading process, what kind of root cause analysis identified this as a major contributor to line lengths?

Talk about warped thinking on Vail’s part:
“Hey, there’s 10,000 people waiting for this quad and THAT jerk just got distracted by his cell phone. Gotta put a stop to that cell phone stuff during loading. Lift slow downs will make us look bad”

thetrailboss

Staff member
I get your point, but they can barely get anything open and they are putting a non-existent lift on their trail map before it goes in? Seems like overpromising...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good discussion here:
Hold it--Flying Yankee is not open midweek?!

So Inclined

While it makes sense that they want guests focused during the loading process, what kind of root cause analysis identified this as a major contributor to line lengths?

Talk about warped thinking on Vail’s part:
“Hey, there’s 10,000 people waiting for this quad and THAT jerk just got distracted by his cell phone. Gotta put a stop to that cell phone stuff during loading. Lift slow downs will make us look bad”
The cynical part of me thinks it's really just a stab at getting people to stop taking and posting photos and videos of the lift lines by pushing them to keep their phones in their pockets

So Inclined

I went to get a cup of soup today at Hunter...........$11.50! Eat me! I left it on the counter and walked out!
Isn't it less with an Epic Pass discount?
And if you don't have an Epic Pass, good God what are you doing at Hunter on a Saturday?

drjeff

They made some parking $$ at Mount Snow today. First time I believe that they filled all of the pay lots, even the 2 $30 lots! Fresh snow, no wind, sunshine and temps that felt warmer than the teens it reached in the afternoon

2Planker

Yup. No Flying Yankee midweek. No more double doubles. The Abenaki and Kachina chairs I don't believe have spun a single time all season. It's god damned insulting to regulars who have supported Attitash for decades
So sorry. BW was pretty sweet today. Fully groomed out but minimal crowds. Great lunch at the 44 up top

deadheadskier

Staff member
So sorry. BW was pretty sweet today. Fully groomed out but minimal crowds. Great lunch at the 44 up top

I'm not angry from personal experience this year. I'm angry because AttiCat is where I wanted to raise my kids skiing and Vail has taken a steaming dump on both.

I was at Pats today. Sold out day, but all lifts 5 minutes or less to get on. 100% open, great grooming, tons of staff. The way skiing should be.

I'll be at Gunstock tomorrow and will find a similarly well run operation.

It's beyond the pale that the richest ski company in the world sucks so hard at ski resort operations like Vail does.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm not angry from personal experience this year. I'm angry because AttiCat is where I wanted to raise my kids skiing and Vail has taken a steaming dump on both.

I was at Pats today. Sold out day, but all lifts 5 minutes or less to get on. 100% open, great grooming, tons of staff. The way skiing should be.

I'll be at Gunstock tomorrow and will find a similarly well run operation.

It's beyond the pale that the richest ski company in the world sucks so hard at ski resort operations like Vail does.
I have to think that it is the beginning of the end for Vail. This is worse than ASC.