• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

cdskier

She has mainly held roles in health and safety with Vail. I don’t understand how she is now a director of mountain operations. Blows my mind.

Maybe Vail just picks candidates for management openings out of a hat?

FBGM

Okay my apologizes. I mixed this lady up with the health and safety lady Dana out of New England. This lady comes from a lift operation background out of PC/Canyons.

I’m sure Attatash is still fucked just because it’s Vail. But at-least it’s not the lady I thought at first.

2Planker

Yeah, just saw it. Yikes.
No shit ! Their timeline is way too ambitious. Especially since 1/2 of the Mt Ops newly hired crew walked out last week, as they were starting to dismantle the slide. In 40 years of working in the ski biz in ME, VT & N, I have never seen anyone FUCK UP a Mt more than these assholes have done w/ both WC & Attitash.

I can name 30 quality people, with many years of experience who have left, and taken their family with them.
BW, Black, Shawnee and King Pine all fully staffed by ExVail people.
Epic Pass sales are down in NH, while Cannon & BW are headed for the best sales ever...

slatham

The Attitash crew should take a lesson from what Mt Snow just posted on FB. Definitely not a fail.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They both posted virtually the same thing along with other resorts in the Midwest. Everything Vail does is corporate and calculated.

And that's ultimately the biggest problem I have with Vail. I get that branding and delivering consistency is quite normal in the big business world. But that line of thinking can also drive away some customers as well. If you don't like one McDonald's are you going to try another one? No, because you know what to expect.

And corporate consistency is the antithesis of what ski areas have always been about. The goal has always been to create a unique brand just for that mountain. Everything from how it's operated to the names of the lifts and trails, to the target market of customers. Alterra / Ikon seems to get this. Stratton and Sugarbush are still very unique from one another. Their reputations stand on their own. Then you look at Snow, Okemo and Stowe and their reputations are interconnected. You expect paid parking, poor communication, heavy crowding, slower snowmaking expansion than historical norms for those areas ect.

I thought I'd love Epic when they moved into the Northeast market. That Wildcat, Attitash and Crotched would remain largely the same as I had enjoyed for the past decade under Peak and that now I'd have the benefit of having access to Stowe affordably. The only thing better since they've arrived has been the price. Every single one of their Northeast mountains offered a better product before they took over and brought their McSkiing business philosophy here.

eatskisleep

No shit ! Their timeline is way too ambitious. Especially since 1/2 of the Mt Ops newly hired crew walked out last week, as they were starting to dismantle the slide. In 40 years of working in the ski biz in ME, VT & N, I have never seen anyone FUCK UP a Mt more than these assholes have done w/ both WC & Attitash.

I can name 30 quality people, with many years of experience who have left, and taken their family with them.
BW, Black, Shawnee and King Pine all fully staffed by ExVail people.
Epic Pass sales are down in NH, while Cannon & BW are headed for the best sales ever...
Are the slides ever coming back?

machski

Well, this belongs in an Alterra thread, but Rusty Gregory is stepping down to be replaced by Jared Smith, the former LiveNation and Ticketmaster CEO. He's been with Alterra for just about a year. Hmmmmm........

Tin Woodsman

Saw Jared Smith speak at a sports analytics conference a few years back about how shifting to digital ticketing would positively impact the consumer. Not sure I've seen a more soulless, self-serving presentation in my career. I'm not optimistic with that transition.