• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

KustyTheKlown

Dumbass does not know the difference between a quad and a triple. Just when you think they cannot possibly suck more, they zoom in on the tomcat while talking about running the wildcat express.

snowbrains v unofficial networks. battle of the fucking atrocious writers with ski blogs.

cdskier

Epic pass sales up 9% so far through this same period as last year...it will be interesting to see final numbers, but it sure seems a lot of people are still buying Epic even with all their problems...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
A new HSQ at the red-headed-est of the red-headed step-children of the Vail properties. A short new HSQ and a couple carpets at Breck. A new fixed grip quad at another of the resorts seeminly on the Vail shitlist... Steven's Pass.

These are great improvements, but it's not signature stuff. It's not building the 12,000ft+ Blackcomb Gondola. It's not the almost-as-long Park City-Canyons connection gondola. It's not new terrain like that which was unveiled at Beaver Creek last year. It's not the Squaw-Alpine Gondola Alterra is building. Just curious as to why Vail chose to showcase these improvements for 2023 when none of them are the "big things" that make people excited for. I'm not trying to piss on Vail just to piss on Vail, it's just kinda odd that THESE are the improvements they decide to unveil 4 months before they usually announce the company-wide capex improvements. Honestly this is all the stuff you'd expect to read at the end of the press release for that big capex announcement they make in October. They usually embark on a huge "signature" improvement each year in addition to 8-12 new lifts companywide. Just odd.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I think it's interesting they announced Attitash and Stevens Pass. Probably a ploy in the markets they failed hardest this year -

My take is that they're appeasing skiers in the areas with the worst operational issues last year, WA and NH - the choices of Attitash and Stevens Pass is too peculiar to be a coincidence.

If I had to guess, they're negotiating with manufacturers (look at the 2023 projects at Liftblog, Alterra will soon be outside of manufacturer schedules) and are going to announce in September like last year. After the season's crowding controversy, I would be surprised if Vail doesn't buy 10 lifts.

I thought too that it could be marketing to appease Steven's Pass and Attitash crowds, and that could be it. But then throwing Breck in there... of the marquee resorts that's the best they could do?

I don't understand your last comment about Alterra. Are you saying they'd squeeze Vail out given Alterra has a ton of projects already in the works for 2023? That's just what's been announced. I can assure you the lift manufacturers know what Vail's 2023 plans are in their entirety- from initial discussions with manufacturers to opening date for a new lift it's at least an 18 month timeframe.

lobster-catcher

I think it's interesting they announced Attitash and Stevens Pass. Probably a ploy in the markets they failed hardest this year -

My take is that they're appeasing skiers in the areas with the worst operational issues last year, WA and NH - the choices of Attitash and Stevens Pass is too peculiar to be a coincidence.
Completely, couldn't agree more. This is entirely damage control.... this whole thing is like a telenovela with out the hot chicks.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This summer will really start to show the damage Vail has done to the MWV. Both WC and AT used to do descent summer biz. But now, they are ghost towns
Could you imagine owning a unit at Attitash? Your rental business is now in the toilet. This is not a good sign:

994BE108-7482-4B79-9236-1A0A7C10D71D.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Just announced on their social media feeds, next Summer, the Summit triple at Attitash will be replaced with a HSQ (permit approval pending).

A little less sucking by Vail in their NH portfolio
Assuming that they have enough staff to run it and make snow to open it. Those are big assumptions after 2021-2022.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The old towers and cross arms from the Sundance and Sunbrook lifts were flown out today at Mount Snow.

A little communication about this event that some would likely have liked to see in person from a safe distance, would of been nice...
“You are not supposed to be focused on helicopters. You are supposed to be focused on getting your EPIC Pass!”

D3C1FCE8-D101-4E50-985C-E2546CD801FE.jpeg

thetrailboss

Staff member
F8ED051C-30A9-4330-A578-CE049ADAA566.jpeg
“You all want a fucking helicopter video? Here’s your helicopter video! It’s Epic!”

Attachments

• IMG_4973.MOV
    31.2 MB · Views: 2

Mum skier

Could you imagine owning a unit at Attitash? Your rental business is now in the toilet. This is not a good sign:

View attachment 54563
OK, serious question.…..Is that offer for anyone or just if you are an owner in a comparable property somewhere. I just looked at the Attitash Mountain Village resort site and did not see that sort of offer.
I’d honestly do a few days in summer for that price! Some of our outstanding 4000’ hikes would be a lot shorter drive from there.

chuckstah

OK, serious question.…..Is that offer for anyone or just if you are an owner in a comparable property somewhere. I just looked at the Attitash Mountain Village resort site and did not see that sort of offer.
I’d honestly do a few days in summer for that price! Some of our outstanding 4000’ hikes would be a lot shorter drive from there.
It's time share BS. Do a 90 minutes high pressure sales pitch. Nothing new. They're desperate to off load time shares, nobody wants one there.

machski

A new HSQ at the red-headed-est of the red-headed step-children of the Vail properties. A short new HSQ and a couple carpets at Breck. A new fixed grip quad at another of the resorts seeminly on the Vail shitlist... Steven's Pass.

These are great improvements, but it's not signature stuff. It's not building the 12,000ft+ Blackcomb Gondola. It's not the almost-as-long Park City-Canyons connection gondola. It's not new terrain like that which was unveiled at Beaver Creek last year. It's not the Squaw-Alpine Gondola Alterra is building. Just curious as to why Vail chose to showcase these improvements for 2023 when none of them are the "big things" that make people excited for. I'm not trying to piss on Vail just to piss on Vail, it's just kinda odd that THESE are the improvements they decide to unveil 4 months before they usually announce the company-wide capex improvements. Honestly this is all the stuff you'd expect to read at the end of the press release for that big capex announcement they make in October. They usually embark on a huge "signature" improvement each year in addition to 8-12 new lifts companywide. Just odd.
I thought the announced Stevens chair was also a HSQ, not FG. A lot of folks were bitching when Vail proposed a quad or a six detach to the summit at Attitash in the Forest Service proposal that a Six would be overkill there and cause too much crowding. But a detach quad has long been begged for. So why do you think this isn't marquis news for Attitash? Both LBO and Peaks never pulled off replacing the Summit Cripple with a HSQ. I have to see this as a win for Attitash, though I also agree they have to make snow and guy staff lifts this coming season first.

jimmywilson69

I would say for Attitash this is a signature improvement that moves the needle. saying otherwise is contradictory to years and in this thread pages of bitching