• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fully agree, if:

1) They actually build it.
2) If built, they actually run it.

Agreed

The new Summit lift, Yankee, Kachina and Bear chairs need to run every day they're able to. Maybe they can get away with not running Yankee midweek, but that's it.

thebigo

Dont think yankee needs to run midweek with a summit high speed on that side, kachina also only necessary for race training. Four quads midweek should be sufficient at attitash. Attitash summit quad is welcome news. I may even give them another chance if they run crotched and wildcat on par with peaks and complete the sunapee expansion/upgrade.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I am still puzzled as to how LBO/ASC was forced to dump Cranmore and WV over monopoly concerns when it owned (or would own) three resorts in NH and here we have Vail owning four and they can hold onto them. Seems weird. Did antitrust law change that much?

machski

So I am still puzzled as to how LBO/ASC was forced to dump Cranmore and WV over monopoly concerns when it owned (or would own) three resorts in NH and here we have Vail owning four and they can hold onto them. Seems weird. Did antitrust law change that much?
I don't think it was just NH related with LBO/ASC. I believe the entire New England portfolio they would own was looked at, and for reasons I'm still not clear on, were allowed to divest the smallest resorts they acquired (which happened to be in NH).

machski

Agreed

The new Summit lift, Yankee, Kachina and Bear chairs need to run every day they're able to. Maybe they can get away with not running Yankee midweek, but that's it.
I would say with the new learning Quad replacing the double doubles, that and the Summit Quad should be adequate on the classic side midweek. Bear quad is good on its own but if a second midweek, would prefer Abenaki to run.

RH29

So what are some main wishlist items for Vail in NH?

-Attitash Summit Triple replacement (planned)
-Snowmaking comparable to nearby rivals
-Wildcat having T2B skiing in December, with the Wildcat Express running daily all season
-Crotched being open daily
-No paid parking

What else?

thebigo

-Wildcat having T2B skiing in December, with the Wildcat Express running daily all season
-No paid parking

What else?

I skied wildcat top to bottom in October 2018 on 100% manmade. Lynx should be the first 2K vert run in the east and Wildcat should close first Sunday of May.

deadheadskier

Staff member

-No paid parking

What else?

Reservation system for weekends and holidays to manage crowds would be my number 1.

Return Wildcat to a roughly November 10th to April 20th season length with the option to extend to May 1st if the snowpack is there.

Open the bar midweek at Wildcat

Improved F&B quality at the same price. Vail spiked prices big time and delivers some of the most garbage food I've ever eaten.

Better communication / snow reports. They are so comically bad at this I almost think it's on purpose to troll people.

Bring back Attitash summer as it was

Lastly, DO NOT buy a single other Northeast mountain. That's actually my number one request

Reactions: Edd

gittist

"

"Lastly, DO NOT buy a single other Northeast mountain. That's actually my number one request"

I think Vail is in negotiations to buy Powdr.....

machski

Guessing they’d keep that going. BW was permitted to do a crossover with the new gondola.
Yup, there is no reason the combined tower wouldn't work on a new lift. BW Gondola has one and the Gould T-Bar at SR shares a newly installed tower on the Locke Triple as well (both Dopp installs).

Mum skier

-No paid parking

What else?
What happened to the Sunapee expansion plans? Their busiest resort in NH and (for better or worse) the one most likely to be frequent by people who will spend money at their western resorts as well.

I am worried about Sunapee next season. For the other 3 resorts you could say “if all the lifts had been running the lines would not have been so bad”. But while Sunapee had a very slow start by late January all lifts were open. Even the forgotten out left that only serves the terrain park. And even with 100% lifts running lines were bad. So Sunapee fans don’t have the hope that the crowds will be better next year once they get all the lifts open. They were actually open last year and it was still bad.

Though I guess I renewed so I only have myself to blame.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What happened to the Sunapee expansion plans? Their busiest resort in NH and (for better or worse) the one most likely to be frequent by people who will spend money at their western resorts as well.

I am worried about Sunapee next season. For the other 3 resorts you could say “if all the lifts had been running the lines would not have been so bad”. But while Sunapee had a very slow start by late January all lifts were open. Even the forgotten out left that only serves the terrain park. And even with 100% lifts running lines were bad. So Sunapee fans don’t have the hope that the crowds will be better next year once they get all the lifts open. They were actually open last year and it was still bad.

Though I guess I renewed so I only have myself to blame.
As odd, and sad, as it sounds, based on what Vail is doing in NH it looks like the legal fights and work to get approvals may be for naught. Has any physical work been done to get the expansion actually started?

bigbob

I heard someone from Rhode island filed a lawsuit.