• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

ctdubl07

On a V property question, headed out to Heavenly for Feb break and Im looking for a good forum for info.
When viewing some generic online review sites, the place seems to either be running fully or in complete disarray so looking for local, on the spot intel.
thanks!

jaytrem

noone has a problem with thin red line flags.
Not true, some people disapprove of any manipulation of the American Flag. I assume it 's the same people that are not fans of flag bathing suits and similar things.

Edd

On a V property question, headed out to Heavenly for Feb break and Im looking for a good forum for info.
When viewing some generic online review sites, the place seems to either be running fully or in complete disarray so looking for local, on the spot intel.
thanks!
Separate thread is my suggestion.

raisingarizona

Instead of taking the flags out, they should just plant next them rainbow flags. ;)

Friend of mine put rainbow flag on their yard (they’re NOT gay), next to the Star and Stripe. I ask why the explicit support of LGBT, answer was “the national flag had been so often hijacked by white supremacist group. We want to show our patriotism but not be mistaken as supporter of white supremacist!”
Can you put a rainbow stripe down the center of an American flag?

ThatGuy

I think everyone can get offended at anything if they want to bad enough

Lets get back on topic…its snowing

And Vail still sucks

cdskier

So….things closed that should be open?

Slug skis both SB and Stowe quite a bit. SB is nearly 100% open while Stowe has barely any of their main diamond/double-diamond runs open on Mansfield off the four-runner. So yes, he's understandably not happy with the conservative nature of the trail openings at Stowe. Is that Vail's doing? Or do Stowe's trails legitimately need more snow than SB's to open? I think Stowe has always been more conservative than SB in that regard, but the question is has Vail made it even more conservative than it was before? Certainly a fair question/point. I know I personally wouldn't be happy being stuck skiing only cruisers all day long at this point in the season when Stowe is known for having challenging terrain while a ski area 45 minutes south is almost at 100%... FWIW though, a good deal of the steeper terrain at MRG is also still closed. So maybe it is justified at Stowe as well.

Kingslug20

Skied some pretty steep natural stuff at bolton...we're there rocks..yup..was it skiable..yup...kids were going down it regularly.
Sb and stowe both sit at 80 inches so far for the season..
Stowe has become....stowekemo!

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

So this appears to be a local Stowe issue. Is it patrol or like a GM decision? If it's patrol, what changed since pre vail to drive the decison?

Smellytele

I did notice when i was there Friday they had some trails roped off but other had only a little lollipop sign saying closed. I obeyed the ropes but the lollipop signs were not all placed in spots you could see them from all entries so ignored those.
Waterville was the same way Yesterday. Some of the lollipop closed signed trails had instructors with clients (kids and adults) on them.

snoseek

Wildcat has been pretty good about opening natural stuff this year. 93 percent open with just hairball and starr line closed before this snow...those take a shitload of snow to open. I'll be up the next couple to investigate but last week was fun before the last two snow events

Edd

deadheadskier

Staff member
So this appears to be a local Stowe issue. Is it patrol or like a GM decision? If it's patrol, what changed since pre vail to drive the decison?

I'd say the big changes came when Spruce Peak village development started. That's when they really started pushing for the high end clientele vs every day skiers and got more conservative with terrain openings. Late 90s they were much quicker to drop ropes and also less strict about pouching.

AdironRider

How quickly everyone forgets we were looking at grass on all these trails as of like Thursday last week.

KustyTheKlown

i dont think anyone forgot that. i think we all know that bolton, jay, sugarbush, smuggs, and mad all dropped almost all ropes. stowe is in the same snow zone. clearly they are approaching terrain expansion differently and more conservatively than all their local comparables.