• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

VAIL SUCKS

inthewuids

Is Shaw’s gone? I think that there used to be one in Berlin/Gorham.

When the mills closed that really hurt that area. Additionally, I think for folks coming from MA/Southern NH it is just too far north and requires folks to pass North Conway/Conway.

It is a big ATV/snowmobile destination. Different crowd than skiers and riders.

Yeah, the Shaw’s is gone unfortunately. And you’re likely right about folks having to pass through Conway or Lincoln to get there, so there’s not much incentive to go that far for most folks.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Shaws is long gone. Maybe 8 years ago it closed?

How is there a housing shortage in Berlin with this kind of population trend? Lots of unoccupied homes been torn down?

1970 15,256−14.4%
1980 13,084−14.2%
1990 11,824−9.6%
2000 10,331−12.6%
2010 10,051−2.7%
2020 9,425−6.2

Last edited:

the_awesome

From a vaykay/2nd home perspective, people are already traveling to get there and I'd assume usually want the resources they are seeking to be as close as possible. I at least see that as a major benefit personally.

Also, most conversations I've had with industry people is crossing the notch twice a day (not even factoring in weather) at 40-60 min each way for a "hospitality" gig isn't the most optimum choice. Especially when most after work social activities are within the N. Conway/Bartlett area.

thebigo

Trying to remember the name of the grocery store on 16 between gorham and berlin before shaws bought it out. Think it began with a B and was two syllables. Was a small local chain with stores in berlin, lebanon and maybe littleton? My mother always stopped in there because everything was dual language french; cashiers were as likely to speak french as english.

inthewuids

Shaws is long gone. Maybe 8 years ago it closed?

How is there a housing shortage in Berlin with this kind of population trend? Lots of unoccupied homes been torn down?

1970 15,256−14.4%
1980 13,084−14.2%
1990 11,824−9.6%
2000 10,331−12.6%
2010 10,051−2.7%
2020 9,425−6.2

You’re right that the housing shortage doesn’t extend to Berlin, but there’s a reason the population is plummeting. Most of the decent jobs are south of the Notch, and there’s piss poor amenities up there.

Renting in Berlin might be an okay way to get your foot in the door here, but I don’t know anyone who would advise buying a house there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I would definitely be living in Gorham vs Berlin if I were to live on that side of the Notch. I actually like Gorham quite a bit. Seems more "real" vs the tourist towns of Jackson, Bartlett and North Conway. Until recently, I spent 5-10 nights a year in Gorham for work and enjoyed the vibe.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would definitely be living in Gorham vs Berlin if I were to live on that side of the Notch. I actually like Gorham quite a bit. Seems more "real" vs the tourist towns of Jackson, Bartlett and North Conway. Until recently, I spent 5-10 nights a year in Gorham for work and enjoyed the vibe.
I've driven through there (and stopped) the last couple years. Gorham in particular seems to have some organic development going on right downtown on the Route 2 stretch. I've seen some new local restaurants and businesses. Seems authentic to me and not just more chain retail development. I could see that being a good place to have a second home or live because it is so close to the Northern Presidentials and "away" from the tourists.

podunk77

Trying to remember the name of the grocery store on 16 between gorham and berlin before shaws bought it out. Think it began with a B and was two syllables. Was a small local chain with stores in berlin, lebanon and maybe littleton? My mother always stopped in there because everything was dual language french; cashiers were as likely to speak french as english.

You might be referring to Save-A-Lot. It was kind of a low-end grocery chain that tends to open in depressed areas.

inthewuids

I've driven through there (and stopped) the last couple years. Gorham in particular seems to have some organic development going on right downtown on the Route 2 stretch. I've seen some new local restaurants and businesses. Seems authentic to me and not just more chain retail development. I could see that being a good place to have a second home or live because it is so close to the Northern Presidentials and "away" from the tourists.

Gorham is a really nice town. Though, the lack of a proper grocery store, and the rental quads buzzing around town on the main roads all summer wouldn’t be ideal…

I’d definitely go for Randolph though. Enough ‘pros’ to justify the ‘cons’.

thebigo

You might be referring to Save-A-Lot. It was kind of a low-end grocery chain that tends to open in depressed areas.
It was Butsons, article is from 2004. Shaws is the vail of supermarkets.

Last fall, Shaw’s acquired eight Butson’s stores in New Hampshire and Vermont, three of which were subsequently closed. One of the three was next to the Shaw’s supermarket off Route 302 in Littleton, a shutdown that eliminated Shaw’s only large local competitor.

flakeydog

That's just good 'ol freedom talking. Live free and pay more for groceries, unlike these commies:

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2022/ja...e-chopper-and-tops-sell-12-stores-one-vermont

thetrailboss

Staff member
It was Butsons, article is from 2004. Shaws is the vail of supermarkets.

Wow. Butson's. That is really going back now! I think the last time I went into a Butson's was in 2001. It was the one in Woodsville. I always felt bad that was the name because as a kid we always made fun of it. The one in Littleton clung to life for a while even after WalMart and Shaw's came to town. But now that you mention it, I do recall Shaw's buying them out.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's just good 'ol freedom talking. Live free and pay more for groceries, unlike these commies:

https://vermontbiz.com/news/2022/ja...e-chopper-and-tops-sell-12-stores-one-vermont
Do you know how many Hannaford's are there? And how many options are there really for the average person? Hint: the answer is none. Hannaford's has the corner on the market. It's not a secret.

And Price Chopper selling the one store in Rutland is really a non-story in my mind.

Full disclosure: I like Price Chopper and Hannaford's. But one thing I like about where we have been the last 12-years is that we have PLENTY of competition and choices as consumers. There's nothing like someone in Vermont yelling at me about how bad big box retailer X is and how they are the scum of the earth, but then having NO options as to purchasing necessary items to live. And guess what? All that yelling and screaming results ONLY in the BIGGEST retailers with the DEEPEST pockets to set up shop because they are the only ones who can sustain the crap. So most folks in Vermont, ironically, can only rely on WalMart or Dollar General. Pretty ironic!

thetrailboss

Staff member
no one is yelling, at least not on this end, sheesh. go play in the snow.
Honestly, I was not sure where your OP was going. But my point is that ironically enough Vermont is home to MANY monopolistic enterprises. Additionally, your comment about "commies" (which I think was a joke) is off the mark completely because it was not the State that ordered the sale but the FTC (had you read the article you would have seen that).

And no anger on my end. Honestly, I've been doing more snow play than many this season!

Last edited: