• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

vermont powder?

Snowlover

How do you guys get to vt area resorts in a snowstorm? Mount snow is barely makeable for a day drip at 2 1/2 hours with no storm. Maybe do that twice a year max. Local is where it's at. I'm sorry, but talking about helmets and you drive through vt backroads in a snowstorm? You're more likely to die on the road. Do you know how dangerous trying to drive 100's of miles in a blizzard is? And how are you supposed to get there for first tracks/first chair when the roads are snow covered? A hotel is a neccesity and that's more money and more time off from work ect. Very difficult to score fresh untracked powder anywhere on ec unless you live local. And how long would it take you to drive from hartford, ct to mount snow in the middle of a blizzard? 7 hours one way? Assuming you can get there alive with your vehicle in one piece. You can only go 30-35mph max the whole way and maybe 20mph on side roads if it's really bombing out. Yeah obviously a hotel is necessary.

BenedictGomez

How much longer must this persist?

January-Calendar-2014.jpg

Wavewheeler

I put my Jeep Wrangler in 4WD and drive it through the snow. ;) I often drive to the slopes in snow. In fact, I love fourwheeling in deep snow and hate when everything gets plowed. I guess it's like preferring skiing in natural snow to groomed trails. ;)

A few years ago at Killington we woke up to 2 feet of snow. There was snow up to the Jeep's headlights. Didn't even shovel it out, just put it in first gear and drove out of the parking spot. The guy shoveling out his Cadillac next to me looked like he wanted to kill me. :lol:

Where I live I almost always have to get a hotel room. Everything is at least 2 hours away, except for Mountain Creek and I hate that place and won't pay to go there. I'll run out to the Poconos for a day trip but even for Hunter (3 hour drive) I'll get a room overnight. Skiing midweek helps because everything cost a bit less and I can get better deals on tickets online but if you want to play then you gotta pay. Skiing is an expensive hobby.

One day I plan to move to where I can have a "local" mountain but that's still a few years off so I make the best of it.

BenedictGomez

It's a fair question.

What kind of crack are some of the people on this forum smoking?

It's not a fair question.

For starters, it's not a question at all when you answer the very thing you're postulating (and bizarrely so in this instance).

Secondly, it's solely intended to start a ruckus, be controversial, and initiate conflict and argument........like everything else you've done on this board.

I'm out.

images

Snowlover

It's not a fair question.

For starters, it's not a question at all when you answer the very thing you're postulating (and bizarrely so in this instance).

Secondly, it's solely intended to start a ruckus and initiate conflict........like everything else you've done on this board.

I'm out.

images

How does this initiate conflict, maybe many of the members stay at hotels? Maybe if people lowered the hostility level down then it wouldn't be a problem.

Snowlover

I put my Jeep Wrangler in 4WD and drive it through the snow. ;) I often drive to the slopes in snow. In fact, I love fourwheeling in deep snow and hate when everything gets plowed. I guess it's like preferring skiing in natural snow to groomed trails. ;)

A few years ago at Killington we woke up to 2 feet of snow. There was snow up to the Jeep's headlights. Didn't even shovel it out, just put it in first gear and drove out of the parking spot. The guy shoveling out his Cadillac next to me looked like he wanted to kill me. :lol:

Where I live I almost always have to get a hotel room. Everything is at least 2 hours away, except for Mountain Creek and I hate that place and won't pay to go there. I'll run out to the Poconos for a day trip but even for Hunter (3 hour drive) I'll get a room overnight. Skiing midweek helps because everything cost a bit less and I can get better deals on tickets online but if you want to play then you gotta pay. Skiing is an expensive hobby.

One day I plan to move to where I can have a "local" mountain but that's still a few years off so I make the best of it.

I talked about this in the other thread. Getting going is not the problem. Stopping is or some jackass running into you.

gmcunni

preposition in advance of the storm. sucks to be stuck on the highway when the lifts start spinning

snoseek

I talked about this in the other thread. Getting going is not the problem. Stopping is or some jackass running into you.
I just make sure to wear my helmet while driving. Gotta be the first in line for the Bluebird!

Snowlover

It's absolutely fair. Everyone talks about scoring pow in vt and people live hundreds of miles away. Just wondering what their plan is. Hotel? Or do they actually try to drive 10 hours + in a blizzard through impassable roads to get first tracks.

Snowlover

preposition in advance of the storm. sucks to be stuck on the highway when the lifts start spinning

Ok. See every pow day I score first tracks is local. I don't see how to get to vt for powder first tracks. Lets say you have an overnight storm that stops at noon. Roads are a mess. Basically have to get a hotel before storm even hits and get to vt ahead right? Because that sounds like insanity trying to cross route 9 to mount snow in a blizzard. Hell the road would probably be shut down half the time anyway.

Snowlover

some people sleep in their cars in the parking lot of the mountain or a nearby walmart.

Nutcases. LOL....That sounds comfortable in the middle of an ass cold blizzard. Is this the same set that needs a bubble chair to stay warm? I'm really confused now.

gmcunni

Nutcases. LOL....That sounds comfortable in the middle of an ass cold blizzard. Is this the same set that needs a bubble chair to stay warm? I'm really confused now.

well you can always pay $24 to stay at the TOR lodge near killington and hit the big K for fresh pow, assuming you can swing the day(s) off from work to hit the storm timing correctly.

Wavewheeler

You started a new thread while I was replying to the old one. ;)

My job entails driving all over, all day, every day in all types of weather. I drive in snowstorms all the time in my 2wd Ford Econoline van in the most congested state in the nation. If I worried about what people were going to do to me on the road I'd be a nervous wreck and never drive anywhere. If you start thinking about what MIGHT happen to you then you go nuts. I live my life the best I can and deal with what it throws at me when it happens. :)

I have raced cars, go four wheeling, taken multiple defensive/performance driving courses and have a good snow car and a cell phone. Skiing is a dangerous sport and as a self employed person who works on my feet and uses my hands I probably shouldn't ski or hike or do half the things I do but I do it anyway because life is short and I want to enjoy it. Worrying about what might happen isn't enjoyable. ;)

Wavewheeler

well you can always pay $24 to stay at the TOR lodge near killington and hit the big K for fresh pow, assuming you can swing the day(s) off from work to hit the storm timing correctly.

It's why I put up with all the shit of being self employed. I see a snow storm is coming and rearrange the work schedule. If I can't work cuz of snow then off to the slopes I go.:thumbup:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Leave earlier + snow tires and I get to the mountains just fine. Statistically driving in Boston rush hour traffic is probably more dangerous.