• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend March 11-13

tekweezle

Wax those skis, we are going to get a heavy dosage of spring skiing from here on out to the end of the season.... Not bad if you like spring skiing and have the legs for it. A little disappointing that the bases are not deep. Just seems like this season never hot started.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Edd

JDRoma and I are planning to do the same. Right now its looking like there could be a few inches on the back end of the rain Thursday night into Friday

It would be cool to do a few turns if we all end up there.

xlr8r

Sunday River if they get some snow on the back end of the storm.

yeggous

Hoping Mohawk's closing day is Sunday...free tickets...sun and party. If not I'll be...ummm...TBD.

Closing day? Already?

I have been to Mohawk once. It was 5 years ago after I graduated from grad school but my now wife was still trapped in New Haven. I recall it being late February (or maybe very early March). It was spring conditions to be sure. When the local ski instructors found out I skied New Hampshire, they told me that Mohawk at that time was like NH in late April. Now that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

Sunday River if they get some snow on the back end of the storm.

That's where we're headed saturday night. It will be our first time at SR. Not knowing the mountain, do you expect conditions to be subpar without the back end snow?

Jcb890

Jcb890,

Don't we all dream of being on the slopes when we are at work? I am hoping for a few days at Jay this weekend. Might be a total dream!!!

Report back on conditions if you go. And have fun!

Have been here skiing Stowe since Sunday. Conditions were awesome both yesterday and today. The 1-3 inches from yesterday and the warmer temps have made a huge difference. We skied all of the woods on the four runner side and they opened upper goat, national drop in and upper star today, all of which skied great. Heard a few people raving about chin clip and angel food in the parking lot this morning but we didn't ski those so can't confirm. We are up all week and plan on skiing through Friday so I'll report back after the weather on Thursday if it will help your decision. Sorry no pics!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That would be great if you could provide some info on the conditions Friday after this weather hits. How is their coverage and normal groomed trail selection?

KustyTheKlown

Depending on what happens Thursday night, either whiteface/killington, whiteface/gore, cannon/loon. gotta use those whiteface/cannon vouchers. got a killington voucher for my girlfriend and max pass k days for me. no free skiing for gf at Sunday River so I'm saving that for myself for the 19-20th.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So, where is everyone thinking of riding/skiing this weekend?

I think I want to make the drive up to Stowe on Saturday. I've never been and still have 2/3 of my VT Ski 3 passes left.
Weekend report was that while it was hard, they Stowe did a great grooming job, so it's all edgeable. Jay sux; Hardpack, scratch, lots of muscle required to edge. No surprise there.

I'm in spring skiing mode - Start late / let things soften, look for sunny side trails, wax, sharpen edges and a shave. Just kidding about the shave part. Avoid cloudy days if possible.

Me thinks the spring skiing will be excellent in southern vt. That said, I'll be in northern VT, just cause those are my favorite mountains. $teaux is already at 63F today in the valley and the forecast calls for 50's and sunshine this weekend. Jay should begin to soften up too.

benski

Probably Killington on Saturday. Got a voucher to use, hope it's a nice corn harvest up there.

Me too. Haven't skied a decent bump run all season and this will be my last day. It going to be my first time at killington. I am concerned a significant portion of the mountain will close between now and Saturday. outer limits looks like its not long for this world on the webcam.

Kleetus

I know its still only Tuesday, but I'm sitting here at my desk dreaming of being on the slopes.

When I looked yesterday, forecasts were calling for rain a lot of the weekend, but I'm looking today and it looks pretty clear right now for the weekend. No matter where you're riding/skiing in New England, temperatures seem destined to be in the 40's or 50's.

So, where is everyone thinking of riding/skiing this weekend?

I think I want to make the drive up to Stowe on Saturday. I've never been and still have 2/3 of my VT Ski 3 passes left.

Has anyone been to Stowe recently? How were the conditions? Any recommendations for me? I will ride any terrain (tend to shy away from moguls), but my wife is more of a beginner and will stick to the green trails.

Also, any AZ'ers thinking of going up to Stowe Saturday and want to share a chair and get in some turns?

I'm in the same boat as you and thinking of hitting Stowe on Saturday as well but debating as it's a haul. If I do go I'll shoot you a pm.

cdskier

+1, for at least one day.
Not expecting any lift lines. :(

I don't know...if people have a lot of quad pack tickets to use up that could drive more people to the mountain sooner rather than later. I saw a lot of people with day tickets last weekend up there. Granted, they also were hosting one of the few STE events that has actually taken place this season, so that could have driven more people to be at Sugarbush last weekend.

Jcb890

Weekend report was that while it was hard, they Stowe did a great grooming job, so it's all edgeable. Jay sux; Hardpack, scratch, lots of muscle required to edge. No surprise there.

I'm in spring skiing mode - Start late / let things soften, look for sunny side trails, wax, sharpen edges and a shave. Just kidding about the shave part. Avoid cloudy days if possible.

Me thinks the spring skiing will be excellent in southern vt. That said, I'll be in northern VT, just cause those are my favorite mountains. $teaux is already at 63F today in the valley and the forecast calls for 50's and sunshine this weekend. Jay should begin to soften up too.

Thanks for the report/updates Bill!

I'm in the same boat as you and thinking of hitting Stowe on Saturday as well but debating as it's a haul. If I do go I'll shoot you a pm.

Awesome! Let me know.

mikec142

We were supposed to be at Stratton staying with friends, but they bailed. I'd love to hit Sugarbush and Stowe, but it's looking like I'll be stuck at home instead. Skied Windham this past Sunday...can't believe that might have been my last east coast day. Crazy season.

steamboat1

Me too. Haven't skied a decent bump run all season and this will be my last day. It going to be my first time at killington. I am concerned a significant portion of the mountain will close between now and Saturday. outer limits looks like its not long for this world on the webcam.
OL was fine today. It's the rest of Bear I'd be worried about. Lower Wildfire had lot's of brown & lower Skyeburst was showing signs. Big changes all over the mountain between yesterday & today.