• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback prices

soxfan2

Whaleback is charging $20 for lift tickets during the week and $15 for the last two hours of any day of the week. (We are closed Mondays.)

Our weekend rates are $40 for adult and $30 for Youth and $25 for a child for full day. For half days on the weekend, the prices are $35 for adults, $25 for juniors, and $20 for a child.

Sunday morning (9-12) is just $15

Come out and join us at the Whale!!

soxfan2

Good deals. Are you an official rep from Whaleback?

I am. I am also a member of the Whaleback Mountain Club, and both of my kids are on the core teams. They needed a marketing manager badly and I signed on. I work about 20 hours a week "officially" and round the clock unofficially. I want to see the mountain succeed, it's a real asset to Enfield. I am doing everything I can to get the word out and to bring revenue and skiers and boarders to the mountain. If anyone has any questions, just let me know! I was glad to find this forum- it's a wealth of information. We also ski Ragged, Sunapee, and have some free passes to Sugarbush we will use in February sometime!

soxfan2

I should change my username to something that has whaleback in it...:smile:

canobie#1

I am. I am also a member of the Whaleback Mountain Club, and both of my kids are on the core teams. They needed a marketing manager badly and I signed on. I work about 20 hours a week "officially" and round the clock unofficially. I want to see the mountain succeed, it's a real asset to Enfield. I am doing everything I can to get the word out and to bring revenue and skiers and boarders to the mountain. If anyone has any questions, just let me know! I was glad to find this forum- it's a wealth of information. We also ski Ragged, Sunapee, and have some free passes to Sugarbush we will use in February sometime!

You guys are doing a great job! Let's hope those snowmakers are out there soon getting more trails open.

xwhaler

Able to share snowmaking plans? Scrimshaw and dorsal I see are getting the love on FB. Any chance the pipes on Jonah's Revenge or even Ivory Run on the "back side" May see any guns this season?

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

canobie#1

That one has been on my mind for a while. Jonah's Revenge definitely has snowmaking (though I can't remember the last time it was used, possibly due to budget), but the map shows it as a natural run. Leviathan also has snowmaking, though it is listed as not having it. Blubber has lights, but is listed at not having them. On the south side, Ishmael's Alley has lights.

Poma line is not on the map, though it definitely exists and has signs on mountain.

Perhaps an updated trail map is in order? Probably not high on their list, but wouldn't hurt.
+1
a new map would be killer.

soxfan2

That one has been on my mind for a while. Jonah's Revenge definitely has snowmaking (though I can't remember the last time it was used, possibly due to budget), but the map shows it as a natural run. Leviathan also has snowmaking, though it is listed as not having it. Blubber has lights, but is listed at not having them. On the south side, Ishmael's Alley has lights.

Poma line is not on the map, though it definitely exists and has signs on mountain.

Perhaps an updated trail map is in order? Probably not high on their list, but wouldn't hurt.

An updated trail map as in what is open now? The website is definitely lacking…. I am also going to make a priority to update what is open on the FB page. Poma line is accessed from Jawbone and Fluke. We are not making snow on Jonah's revenge at this time. Since I've been going there, it's only been open once after a big storm-it's a natural trail, as is most of the back of the mountain. The last 3 seasons have sucked for natural snow. Whaleback is really making it a priority, and will be in the future. It's essential to keeping them open. Right now for night skiing, it's face (not open), spout, dorsal/scrimshaw (SHOULD be open by Friday.) Basically the front of the mountain...

soxfan2

or do you mean new map as in of all the trails? I don't think they've changed in years.

gonesquatchin

Like probably everyone else who's driven by Whaleback a few hundred times, I have some thoughts. I Whaleback has a unique market advantage it should leverage to create a niche product: visibility from the Interstate. You think everyone of us slogging our way from MA, RI, parts of CT up to Killington, SB, MRG, Stowe, etc. hasn't at least thought about pulling over on a Friday for a few turns to break up the trip? Whaleback can't compete with those mountains on terrain, vertical, etc. so it shouldn't even try really. But it can compete on convenience and ambiance. Here's what I would do if it were me:

1. Organize some sort of Friday night promotion. Get people to pull over and do some night skiing on the way north. Make it a kick off the weekend party. You could also get every high school kid in the area who doesn't have anything else to do on a Friday night but get in trouble. Would probably attract a decent crowd from the colleges too. Make it big. Outdoor DJ, live bands, discount tickets, giveaway promotions, whatever. Maybe combine dinner at the base lodge and a lift ticket. I think Friday night would be the big one, but I would also try to do something on Sunday afternoon and nights for those people who just don't want to let the weekend die.

2. I've never been in the base lodge, but it looks to me like you could have great apres bar/restaurant in there. Don't miss that revenue opportunity.

3. The Whale's base lodge is situated in a way that you could have one of the best viewing decks around. I don't know if there's a deck on the mountain side of the lodge or not, but if there isn't, you should build one. If you can't afford to build one, just put up some railings on the ground, put in some tables and lounge chairs and create a patio area. It has some southern orientation, so in the spring the sun worshippers can lap up the rays on the "beach." (I'd call it the Beached Whale).

4. To provide something to look at from the viewing deck, I'd put some capital into your park and pipe program and build the best around. Make it so it comes right down to the lodge so the sun bathers/lodge crowd can gawk and squawk at the jibbers. You don't need a big mountain for park and pipe and you could compete with some of the larger mountains on that alone. I'd also put a bump run in for the same reason. Have it come right down to the base of the mountain at the lodge. Pump in some tunes or a live band and the deck/Beached Whale scene could be as good as at any mountain around.

5. Sorry if it sounds like I've watched Hot Dog too many times. I realize the vibe might not be too family friendly, but I've always thought that the Whale lent itself to a funky scene.

6. Above all, you should make sure you tap into some of that revenue that drives by every Friday and Sunday.

soxfan2

Like probably everyone else who's driven by Whaleback a few hundred times, I have some thoughts. I Whaleback has a unique market advantage it should leverage to create a niche product: visibility from the Interstate. You think everyone of us slogging our way from MA, RI, parts of CT up to Killington, SB, MRG, Stowe, etc. hasn't at least thought about pulling over on a Friday for a few turns to break up the trip? Whaleback can't compete with those mountains on terrain, vertical, etc. so it shouldn't even try really. But it can compete on convenience and ambiance. Here's what I would do if it were me:

1. Organize some sort of Friday night promotion. Get people to pull over and do some night skiing on the way north. Make it a kick off the weekend party. You could also get every high school kid in the area who doesn't have anything else to do on a Friday night but get in trouble. Would probably attract a decent crowd from the colleges too. Make it big. Outdoor DJ, live bands, discount tickets, giveaway promotions, whatever. Maybe combine dinner at the base lodge and a lift ticket. I think Friday night would be the big one, but I would also try to do something on Sunday afternoon and nights for those people who just don't want to let the weekend die.

2. I've never been in the base lodge, but it looks to me like you could have great apres bar/restaurant in there. Don't miss that revenue opportunity.

3. The Whale's base lodge is situated in a way that you could have one of the best viewing decks around. I don't know if there's a deck on the mountain side of the lodge or not, but if there isn't, you should build one. If you can't afford to build one, just put up some railings on the ground, put in some tables and lounge chairs and create a patio area. It has some southern orientation, so in the spring the sun worshippers can lap up the rays on the "beach." (I'd call it the Beached Whale).

4. To provide something to look at from the viewing deck, I'd put some capital into your park and pipe program and build the best around. Make it so it comes right down to the lodge so the sun bathers/lodge crowd can gawk and squawk at the jibbers. You don't need a big mountain for park and pipe and you could compete with some of the larger mountains on that alone. I'd also put a bump run in for the same reason. Have it come right down to the base of the mountain at the lodge. Pump in some tunes or a live band and the deck/Beached Whale scene could be as good as at any mountain around.

5. Sorry if it sounds like I've watched Hot Dog too many times. I realize the vibe might not be too family friendly, but I've always thought that the Whale lent itself to a funky scene.

6. Above all, you should make sure you tap into some of that revenue that drives by every Friday and Sunday.

THANKS! We actually are running Friday specials- Dinner and a lift ticket from 4-8 is $24. You get a lift ticket, soup or chili, half a sandwich, chips and drink. ALSO, we are offering $20 skiing and dinner for groups from schools in the area. We have a great kitchen (Should be up and running fully soon) and an AWESOME pub. Shot ski, anyone??? That should also be up and running soon.

We do have a deck with a great view and hold many music events. We also have an instructor who is a musician and is ALWAYS jamming in the pub. Kids love it…

We do have a jib park, my kids love to try to kill themselves in it…You can see it from the deck.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think we are right on with most of them!

podunk77

Kudos to soxfan2 and all the other volunteers donating time & energy to Whaleback. $24 for dinner and four hours of skiing on Friday nights? How can you beat that? And I agree about targeting the Friday and Sunday drive-bys. Even if you don't want to risk tiring your legs for Saturday and Sunday at the bigger destinations, stop by Whaleback and buy a hat, a sandwich, a drink... anything to help the cause. So many of us can trace our roots in the sport to small mountain New England ski areas. We owe a debt of gratitude to the generations before us for having made such places possible, and there's no better way to "pay it forward" than to make sure it remains for those who come after us.

hrstrat57

Good post.

Good luck to the whale!!!!

canobie#1

How about some snowmaking additions to the back side?

And the double chair, there were rumors of it closing for saftey issues before, what's up with this? May we see a new double? Maybe one that runs a little faster....:spin:

soxfan2

How about some snowmaking additions to the back side?

And the double chair, there were rumors of it closing for saftey issues before, what's up with this? May we see a new double? Maybe one that runs a little faster....:spin:

as far as I know, the double chair is totally fine. I think it was serviced and there are no problems. Well, besides it being old and slow. I love the character though- most are painted in funky colors, etc. My kids always freak out if they end up on the "love chair." It's pink and polka dotted. LOL!

A new snowmaking system is going ahead as we speak….I always share your feedback with Whaleback, too. Today I am all over the trail report...