• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Who obtained the best Cost/Day ratio this season?

KustyTheKlown

I find it interesting how baggage works. From what I have read, you can stuff anything you want in the ski bag but nothing but boots and helmet in the boot bag. Then of course it just needs to fit within the weight limit to count as "1 bag". You could probably fit all of your gear in a ski bag and then a roll-aboard carryon and backpack for everything else. Anyone test out that theory? I could just buy a larger ski bag if that is the case.

yea totally. i have a douchebag (unfortunate name, great product - https://douchebags.com/). it easily fits my skis, all ski clothing, all regular clothing, toiletries. i have a dakine boot bag which fits boots, helmet, goggles, face masks, gloves, etc (they never give me a hard time about having ski accessories in that bag). those usually come out to just around 50 lbs. i bring my laptop and whatever else in a dakine heli pro backpack. when i arrive, i unpack the backpack, and if i want a bag to ski with, i bring that and use the ski carry for hikes etc. i never bring a "suitcase" on a ski trip.

Domeskier

I generally lose track of my number of ski days after 10 or 12. Especially if I skip a weekend. Same thing with the number of runs in a day. Except I usually lose track after 5 or 6. I think it increases my enjoyment of skiing not to keep track of the other incidental expenses.

Duncanator24

I generally lose track of my number of ski days after 10 or 12. Especially if I skip a weekend. Same thing with the number of runs in a day. Except I usually lose track after 5 or 6. I think it increases my enjoyment of skiing not to keep track of the other incidental expenses.

This was the sentiment I figured most skiiers would have. Hence why I said I was weird! Coming from an engineering background, crunching numbers adds to the fun for me. I don't really fret about it, its just fun to see year to year the statistics and stuff. Same reason I can enjoy fantasy baseball even though it seems more like work than entertainment..

dlague

This topic comes up every season and it always gets me to start thinking about how much extraneous spending happens surrounding our sport. While I am currently at $24-25 range with another 2 months to go, that is not the cost that can get you. There is always the added expense of travel which if not a drivable/daytrip distance can add up quickly and cost more than skiing itself. While we try to bring our own food and adult beverages, there are times where we get food and beer at the resort or in town apres ski.

The other part of the equation, how frugal is someone with their gear? As in how many years. I have been able to generally average 5 years for boots and skis and I always buy previous year models and buy during the summer so we have bee cost effective in that category. Outer layers and helmet 3-4 with the exception of gloves/mittens.

This is an expensive sport and the per day costs can easily be managed to get below $20 it is all the other stuff that can add up. I ideally, if you could live in a ski town making the same pay you make where you are now then a lot of those cost would go away and they number of days would be way higher.

BenedictGomez

Southwest doesn't charge for 2 checked bags FWIW

Good to know.

You could probably fit all of your gear in a ski bag and then a roll-aboard carryon and backpack for everything else. Anyone test out that theory? I could just buy a larger ski bag if that is the case.

I love my Dakine backpack, so I just bought a used Dakine Concourse Double for my upcoming ski trip because my other bag only holds 1 pair of skis. The things pretty huge, so I'm contemplating trying that theory out and saving the $70 in bag fees as well as dealing with 1 less bag to haul another around the airports. I'm going to "mock pack" tonight, so I'll know soon enough.

Jully

This is an expensive sport and the per day costs can easily be managed to get below $20 it is all the other stuff that can add up. I ideally, if you could live in a ski town making the same pay you make where you are now then a lot of those cost would go away and they number of days would be way higher.

Living in a ski town is the dream...

cdskier

This was the sentiment I figured most skiiers would have. Hence why I said I was weird! Coming from an engineering background, crunching numbers adds to the fun for me. I don't really fret about it, its just fun to see year to year the statistics and stuff. Same reason I can enjoy fantasy baseball even though it seems more like work than entertainment..

You're not the only one. I have a spreadsheet where I track days, vertical, miles, walk-up ticket prices for that day, etc. Been tracking this data since the 2010-2011 season I think. It is interesting to compare the data year to year. Helps to set personal goals as well. Last year I skied more vertical per day than any other year, but it was also a year where you were sticking much more to the groomers so could rack up more vertical quickly compared to a better snow year when you're spending more times on the ungroomed or exploring the woods.

drjeff

48 days so far this year - 29 on my Peak Explorer pass, so that's roughly $20 a day - the other 19 were mostly racer parent tickets, with a few night tickets to Wachusett, and a 1 day ticket to Killington during the World Cup - probably spent about a grand on those.

Combined, I'm quite sure I spent more on my apres ski bar tabs than I did on passes/day tickets this season!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

This topic comes up every season and it always gets me to start thinking about how much extraneous spending happens surrounding our sport. While I am currently at $24-25 range with another 2 months to go, that is not the cost that can get you. There is always the added expense of travel which if not a drivable/daytrip distance can add up quickly and cost more than skiing itself. While we try to bring our own food and adult beverages, there are times where we get food and beer at the resort or in town apres ski.

The other part of the equation, how frugal is someone with their gear? As in how many years. I have been able to generally average 5 years for boots and skis and I always buy previous year models and buy during the summer so we have bee cost effective in that category. Outer layers and helmet 3-4 with the exception of gloves/mittens.

Thats a very good point. If I add up all of the expenses associated with skiing this year I get about $245 per day.

Tickets - $1,728
Rental - $2,150
Drinks and food - $1,850 (that is most likely on the very low side)
New Board and Bindings - $1,039
Gas and Tolls - $600
Total - $7,367
Total per ski day - $245...

Just to make clear, these are not just normal daily skiing trip, this is me taking 5 weeks vacation during the winter to ski. So, its a little different from most of you that are doing daily visits or weekend visits.

Last edited:

Duncanator24

Thats a very good point. If I add up all of the expenses associated with skiing this year I get about $245 per day.

Tickets - $1,728
Rental - $2,150
Drinks and food - $1,850 (that is most likely on the very low side)
New Board and Bindings - $1,039
Gas and Tolls - $600
Total - $7,367
Total per ski day - $245...

Just to make clear, these are not just normal daily skiing trip, this is me taking 5 weeks vacation during the winter to ski. So, its a little different from most of you that are doing daily visits or weekend visits.
Is that like $60+ a day in food? Holy shit man you must be eating at some fancy places! Unless that is for a family of 4 that seems unreasonable.

dlague

You're not the only one. I have a spreadsheet where I track days, vertical, miles, walk-up ticket prices for that day, etc. Been tracking this data since the 2010-2011 season I think. It is interesting to compare the data year to year. Helps to set personal goals as well. Last year I skied more vertical per day than any other year, but it was also a year where you were sticking much more to the groomers so could rack up more vertical quickly compared to a better snow year when you're spending more times on the ungroomed or exploring the woods.

I used to keep track until I started skiing with a seasons pass. Even tracked expenses, cost of getting comps (ski movies, ski show, etc.)

medfordmike

On my two passes about $23 dollars a day. I don't track non pass use or other expenses but 32/42 days is pass skiing. Not as low as some on here but if I am in the 20s range I am pretty happy cost per day wise on my pass. Beyond gas I don't have extra travel expense. I have a weekend place so I can't justify staying in a hotel in New England. I have a long commute everyday for work so on the weekends my desire to travel far is limited. Often I will take a Skiway or Whaleback Sunday morning after a day of skiing someplace on Saturday over a day at a bigger mountain just because it is close and convenient even if it means paying walk up. Although $20 Sunday mornings at Whaleback are hard to complain about.

yeggous

$10 Manhattens add up pretty quick!!!!

I definitely spend more on food and beverage than on skiing. At least when skiing on my pass I can quantify that exactly since everything gets charged against my pass. Drum roll please...
Season pass: $600
Bar bill: $1500 and rising. I'd estimate an average of $40/day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

snoseek

I've got my pass worked out to under 10 dollars a day I think.

Like others my bar bill FAR exceeds my season pass cost!

snoseek

I drink more in the parking lot then the bar so I keep that cost down.

This is the way to be no doubt and I've surprised myself by even spending anything at all in the bar this season as in the past I avoided this at all cost. I have no explanation other than I like to warm up or get out of the elements and chat with strangers I guess?