• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whos skied a whole winter without falling?

FRITOLAYGUY

Ok just curious who has skied at least 20 different days over the course of the winter and not fallen? Be honest now. That includes lift exiting wipeouts. I dont ski insane terrain like some of you in here, but i did have a nice little streak of about 10times with no falls, then its just like a stick shift car u dont pay attention for a second and your just sitting there wondering what happened while everyone looks at you.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
I have, in the years when I just settled for the blues and didn't push myself to advance(late 80's early 90's). I never tried anything new, always skied the same area and always skied the same 4 trails.

I don't fall that often, some call me a weeble (you know, weebles wobble but they don't fall down), but when I do, it is a good one!

I've learned...if you don't ever fall, you are not trying anything new and you are probably skiing way below your ability level.

rjc1976

My theory is that if you're not falling here and there, you're not really skiing. It's all part of the game.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
while i wouldn't agree with rjc1976, i would say that if you don't fall during a 20+ day season then you are definitely not pushing yourself. that is fine for some people, especially folks who have earned their senior discount and need to take it easy on their bodies. they are definitely out there skiing, but just because they can't afford a major crash doesn't mean they are not skiing.

the most likely places for a fall are usually those areas were you would least except, such as an area you would consider easy when you are on autopilot when suddenly the snow consistantcy dramatically changes and throws you.

madman

I have been skiing almost 40 years 3 of them as a ski bum at K mart. I have skied some pretty amazing stuff both east and west. Lots of crashes when I was pushing myself,thats how you know you are.[pushing yourself] Now that I have slowed down and just enjoy the day I rarley crash,how ever last year while headed down to snowshed for lunch I crashed under a loaded snowshed chair. My daughter fell over laughing.

dmc

I fall at least a few times every day... I constantly push myself into different types of terrain. I try and carve turns too low for a freeride board and fall... I try to stay tight in the line when I'm skiing bumps and fall... I haven't let myself go enough to fall tememarking yet.. The falls are scarey with the free heel..

"No falls - No balls"

Vano

I expect at least one or two falls on any given day when I got skiing. How else am I going to learn?

I find that the 10 seconds before all my most memorable crashes is the best skiing I have ever done. While I was learning I had a number of dumb falls, but with experience that has changed. These days, when I fall it is usually because I am pushing myself just a little bit above my ability level...it works for a while, hence the best skiing prior to the fall, then I have a yard sale.

I gotta say this though. When I was starting out, falling was no big deal, cause I would fall going 10mph on a blue trail. These days a 'memorable fall' usually happens at high speed where chance of injury is higher and everything is much more scary.

bvibert

Staff member
riverc0il said:
while i wouldn't agree with rjc1976, i would say that if you don't fall during a 20+ day season then you are definitely not pushing yourself. that is fine for some people, especially folks who have earned their senior discount and need to take it easy on their bodies. they are definitely out there skiing, but just because they can't afford a major crash doesn't mean they are not skiing.

the most likely places for a fall are usually those areas were you would least except, such as an area you would consider easy when you are on autopilot when suddenly the snow consistantcy dramatically changes and throws you.

Thats about how I feel about it.

Unfortunately all but one of my falls last season happened in front of fellow AZer's. One even got caught on camera... :roll:

Sky

I think I only fell once last year. Kidding around with wife and daughter. Went to pull a "hockey stop" and didn't have the energy to recover to the verticle. I laughed pretty hard.

I don't fall very often. @ 6'9" and 50...I'm looking at the long haul. I'll rip it up if I can see the trail clearly. I'm concerned for my health...and for the health of any donwn-hill skier.

The fall I described elsewhere in this forum @ Cannon was another "goof". Not looking where I was going.

Here's one other thought...I dropped down from 190 CM to 175. I love the higher maneuverability, and the more powerful ski. Almsot dumped last year @ Okeom on Quantum Leap (the head-wall drop -in). I came around a corner and ended up the back seat. Powered out of it...but it was an interesting 5 seconds or so. Otherwise, that day was fabulous and those skis are a huge ego boost.

Greg

Staff member
Oh boy. Since we're posting pictures:

ChileMass mid-fall at the Beast:

Aftermath pic of me at Loon in 2004:

Vortex

I very rarely fall. I also don't ski areas where that would happen. I live in my groomed hero snow world. I crashed 4 times 1 day at the Reggae outing last year. Greg was nice enough to post a few relevant pictures. I think if you don't push you end up on your feet most of the time. I'm really no into the challenge of skiing anymore. I just do it for fun. 2 years ago I fell only once. I said it was a ski pre- release. That is my story and I'm sticking to it. lol

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
I fell at Sugarloaf skiing up to the chair right in front of Greg,Terry,Bob,Joe as they were all waiting. I don't care its part of skiing.
I don't remember that...