• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Pattern Has Arrived - Will it Bring Snow?

Well this hyped, "new pattern" has arrived and was graced us with a 2-4 inch snowfall as it came in the door. Now is a great opportunity ski areas to recover from the blowtorch that was mid-January and start to rebuild bases.

This next week has the possibility of delivering a handful of re-developing clippers that give the goods, or it could be frustratingly dry and cold.

Tuesday is the 1st of these opportunities for snow, followed by Thursday-Friday and Saturday-Sunday. Knowing that these storms are redeveloping clippers, the southern ski areas have a higher chance of getting appreciable snow. Regarding Tuesday, Models have been trending wetter and farther to the NW and latest runs have brought about half of ski country back in line for accumulating snows. This is looking like it will be a modest storm, but as always keep an eye on it.

Along with the clipper threats, this cold pattern is great for upslope snows. The cold, combined with the unstable air, should deliver the usual suspects their share of snow, even if the clippers don't plan out for them.

Overall, it looks like this R@!n nonsense is over with for the time being.

〽❄❅

Lets hope, evening news showed Tuesday's South and Out, although they did mention wraparounds - so maybe but i'm looking toward Thursday and Sat.

catsup948

GFS really bringing this storm nw compared to earlier today. Let's keep moving this nw. This could get interesting.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JDMRoma

Lets hope for the Thursday /Friday one…….I have the day off and Sats my Bday…so All I want is Snow UP North !!

gladerider

in lake placid now. snowed most part of yesterday and it is snowing good now.

catsup948

aqu3u3a3.jpg

First map I've seen.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm no pro, but in forecasts of snow, wxrisk always seems to over-do the amounts of snow.

Looks like a southern NE runner.

NWS Boston suggests the snow/water ratio will be quite high

IF USING A 15:1 RATIO...COULD SEE SNOWFALL UP TO 3-6 INCHES AND
EVEN HIGHER WITH A 20:1. SEVERAL OTHER PARAMETERS ALSO SIGNALED
THIS. WPC SNOWFALL GRAPHICS SIGNALED A RATHER WIDE SWATH OF 6-8
INCHES...BUT FELT BEST SHOT FOR THIS WILL BE ALONG S COASTAL AREAS

BETTER CHANCES FOR ACCUMULATING SNOWS ACROSS SOUTH COASTAL AREAS
TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY
* ARCTIC AIR AND BLUSTERY WINDS MAY CAUSE VERY LOW WIND CHILL
VALUES WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY THURSDAY MORNING
* MAY SEE BRIEFLY MILDER TEMPS THIS WEEKEND

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I am pretty sure we are all going to die with this one. Or at least NYC.
From weather.com:
"The Northeast Megalopolis will get in on the snowy series of clippers Tuesday."
"Snow on the way for Millions?"

Unfortunately the Thursday-Friday system is looking like it may peter-out and will NOT redevelop. The weekend is still on the table.

catsup948

Wxrisk does go a bit high on everything. It's fun to put up maps that give us some snow here in thr interior! It will probably be to to cold and dry to real snow here.